Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Stimulator ???

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgeon is supposed to be ordering a Bone Stimulator for me to use. Anybody know what that is and/or has used one. He said they would deliver it to me. Fine with me if it will help. I have osteopenia so bone growth is going to be slow at best.

• Hi

I had the Orthofix. I wore this belt for 3 hours a day for 9 months. The duration is determined by your doctor and follow up xrays.
    The belt itself is uncomfortable because of the shape, hard to explain. Mine was shaped like two big rectangles for front and back, hollowed out. You strap around waist and there is a little time box in front that's preset for time. If can stop your time to do half the treatment in AM and half in PM or all at once. You cannot feel any vibration at all from the belt.
    I wore this belt over my hard shell brace for the first 6 months and then 3 months after I got out of my regular back brace. My NS was proud, LOL - he said he can tells who wears it by how xrays look.
    They might have a picture of it on the Orthofix website?

Let me know how it goes and feel free to PM me if any questions.
  • I'll look it up. I will follow up with a call to my Dr on Monday if I don't hear before then.
  • Got the picture. Thanks
  • Malaw,
    I'm also using the Orthofix and will have to wear it for 4 more months 4 hours a day. I have flown with it taking it through x-ray machines ect at various airports and never had a problem.

I'll honstly tell you it is a pain in the arse trying to remember it everyday and since I sleep on my stomach wearing it to bed is not an option for me...

Hope it helps...

• A rep from the company that makes this device called me 3 days after returning home from my surgery. She said she was from my surgons office and he wanted me to where this device. Well, she brought it over and showed me and my wife how to use it. Said it would be billed to insurance and we would OWN it(no renting). I wore it for three days then developed pain and less usage from my left arm. Stopped using it. Went for checkup at Dr. and told him about it and he said the lady did NOT work for him and to stop using it. Its been laying in the box ever since. When your on the telephone and have this device on thats when you can hear the electrical impulses- thru the phone. Powerful device. Just letting you know my experiance with it.
  • I moved from Michigan to Florida. I begged to get bone stimulator, because there still was not much fusion. Finally got it 5 months after surgery.(is that too late) I faithfully wear the PIA 4 hrs a day. I accepted a job here and filled out my paperwork for medical. Now they want all these releases from my Dr. to allow me to work since the surgery. They only knew this because I had to wear my stupid bone-stimulator on orientation day. I can't sleep in it or sit in it. So I try to wear it when Im up and about. I can't find anyone to take over my care--because the surgery was done in another state. I have at least 5 Dr. appts a week. I'm getting epidural steriod and facet injections. Is this good with hardware. Everytime, it stimulates an ovary and I've been post-menopausal for over 2 years. I'm trying to get a job her and getting the run-around because of my back surgery in Nov 07. I don't even know if my bone stim is working or if I'm fusing at all because every doctor I see down here refuses to tell me anything.
  • Can anyone tell me if facet injections help once you've had the fusion surgery with hardware. I'm almost 9 mos. post lumbar L4-S1 with cages, rods, screws. I can't seem to get out of pain. The kadien makes me sick so I'm back to the vicodin and flexeril. I'm worried that my kidneys/liver are going to fail from all the meds. The steriod injections also get me sick, and they don't last. I'm in pain for 3 days after an injection (worse because they make me have a period and I quit having those 3 years ago) and the relief only lasts for 3 days. :jawdrop: All I want is my life back. Worse, I've relocated to a different state and noone will even look at my case. I'm in pain with the slightest exercise. My last MRI in March said that my hardware was intact, but I feel differently. I'm also having numbness in my arms and legs. I had a positive neuro-scan of my lumbar-whatever that means. Does anyone know?
  • Sounds like this could be a hassle. However, with some of the other problems I am having I need something to work. I am anxiously awaiting word from my dr. about it.
    Thanks for the comments.

JTburf - my brother is U of H alumni. So congrats.
  • never had one, but probably will be requesting one for my second surgery since i did not fuse.

gertie girl did you have a CT scan to see if your fusing???
    thats where all my pain was coming from. lower back pain, numbness in legs arms etc. i am 11 months out.
    i will be going in to get it redone.
    just a thought. not saying this is the issue but regular xrays did not show what the dr wanted to see.
    plus what the rad tech wrote was nothing like what the dr saw on the films.
    good luck to you on that!!!!

will look at those pics of the stim. thanks guys for posting that site!!!