Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking after microdiscectomy

chris71cchris71 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi all,tomorrow will be 2weeks since my op and i'm feeling great.My question is about walking as that's all i can do for a while.I am doing 3 miles a day with no pain whatsoever before, during or after.My consultant's assistant rang yesterday to see how things are going,when i told her how far i was walking she flipped saying it's way to much and i should limit it to two 15minute walks a day.But i'v read here and elsewhere to let pain be your guide,so am i doing more harm than good?Thanks Chris.

• I was walking 3.5-4 miles in 2-3 walks at 3 weeks.Then the pain came back.My NS's assistant blamed me for over doing it.
    5 wks later,it turned out it's an infection...
    If it doesn't hurt you,well I guess it's good for you.You might want to split 3 miles in 2 or 3 walks with some good rest in between.But then,that's what I think.
    Call your surgeon,and see what he has to say.

• Thanks for the advice. I'm not due to see him till the 20th of Aug. but i suppose it's one of those things if you asked half a dozen different surgeons you would get that many different answers .By the way Gogobg love the crest! surely this year will be the one!
  • I received paperwork from my surgeon before my microdiscectomy and it says to walk but for the first 6 weeks to limit it to 1 mile a day. Then after 6 weeks walking is unlimited. I have just been able to get up to 1 mile at a couple months post op my disc reherniated though right after the surgery. There must be a reason they limit walking for the first 6 weeks.
  • Oh my God that's terrible.I don't want that happening maybe i will scale back so.Hopefully this time things will work out for you.
  • I'm glad you are going to scale back some. I say it's better to be safe then sorry and follow what the doctors and there assistants recommend.
  • 3 day after micro i did 2 - 1/4 mile stints. The next week 2 x 1/2 mile. Then after 2 weeks 2 x 1 mile. Called surgeon and asked what do i do after that. He said be careful not to push too fast. By 4 weeks I was doing 2 x 1.5 miles. No problems and no pain. My recovery to 6 weeks was just fine.

My friends doc said nothing for 2 weeks then 1 mile until 6 weeks. Told him I was crazy to walk that much. It felt good. I didn't hurt. Was taking almost no pain killers. It felt better walking than anything else.

Then on week 7 the bottom fell out. Nothing to do with exercise though. Do not get into a fight with a tractor trailer. Especially if recovering from surgery. You don't take well to it...
  • I have backed off on the walking to a couple of 10-15 minute strolls a day.So far so good no pain or need for any painkillers,can't wait till i can step things up a bit and maybe start swimming.But as boring and as long as the days seem i only have to remember the pain to realise take it easy!
  • Glad you are feeling better,Chris.All you have to do is listen to your body.
    Man,I can't wait 10 more days.Premiere League is coming,and my wife is getting nervous already...Yeah,it's football time!!!

Cheers,G. 8)
  • Yeah can't wait myself ,gang of us heading over for the first home game against Middlesbourgh then back again for the Man u game.Please God let us beat them this time!Have to take a break then ,baby due in November.But back again for the Everton game in Jan. Yahoo!
  • erinb40eerinb40 EnglandPosts: 19
    edited 09/11/2016 - 4:23 AM
    What annoys me is that there is no guidelines at all, they are all different. I am petrified of re herniating but at the same time I am desperate to have some activity. I have been going on walks but I haven't been measuring them :(  hope I haven't done something bad 
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.