Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2.5 weeks, back to work ALIF

kartracerkkartracer Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
7/14 L5-S1 ALIF.

Relieved about 60% of my pain.

I started working from home (email/phone) on day 4 after surgery. I got to drive on day 13, and I am officially going back to the office after 2.5 weeks. I could have done it at exactly 2 weeks, but I was waiting for my first check-up. I am not trying to push the envelope, I am tired of being at home. I just need to take it easy at work. Obviously, I couldn't go back if any lifting was involved...not ready for that.

I had a easy recovery, so thankful for that. I am finally sleeping through the night, that was the hardest part.

I will probably be on pain pills for a while as we wait and see on the rest of my back and butt pain.

• ALIF!!!

2.5 weeks!!!

Holy Cow - I can't even imagine.
  • My surgeon told me ahead of time that he thought I would be back in 2 weeks. He is a special guy.

I will admit during the first week, I thought he was crazy! My incision area and my abdomen got a lot better in the 2nd week.

I still can't believe how lucky I have been with the recovery. If all of my pain would have been corrected, I would be turning kart-wheels right now.

• Maybe week 2 will be better for me too ;)

Don't think I'll be going back to work for a few months though. Doc won't even let me go to my storytelling festival as an attendee at the end of August. He really is treating me with kid gloves.
  • Hi Kart:

I'm glad you are having such a great recovery from your surgery. I hope you aren't driving while taking pain medication. Don't overdo it at work!

• I will be 3 weeks postop tomorrow with an ALIF L4/L5. I have an office job, but I just couldn't see going back yet. I'm stiff in the mornings and take some time to get going. Then, start PT today and I'm more sore. I have two tiny places in my incision that aren't quite healed up. I've been tired too. I couldn't imagine sitting in my office chair all day yet. My job is stressful with supervising other people. My brain on pain meds and muscle relaxers can't handle anything extra right now but showering, walking, resting,etc.

How are you doing with all of that? Are you taking hourly breaks and walking. Did your doc not have you going to PT for a few visits? Do you wear a brace? I'm just curious. I'm tired of being at home, but can't think about going back yet.

Take care of yourself.
  • I do not and have not had a brace. I never asked about that.

He doesn't want me in PT for 6-8 more weeks.

I do take breaks and walk around. I have a desk job, but for 6 months prior to my surgery, I stood at my desk because it hurt too much to sit. So now, I sit some of the time, stand some of the time, and walk around several times per day. They are allowing me to ease into it.

I am still sore, but it is manageable. The hardest part is when people see me back, they presume that I am pain free. They don't understand that I may never be whole again, and I am just trying to reduce the pain. I went back for the same reason that I worked up until my surgery, and that is that I am always in pain, and if I sat at home waiting for all of the pain to go away, I would never go back.

Good Luck to everyone else. I appreciate being able to share with you guys.