Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do ya mever wonder why.....there isn't any relief except drugs

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Lower Back Pain
Time and time again i have wondered that. I get the anti-immflamatories really I do. (They actaully do something to fix it) But the pain meds even though we can funtion on them sort of they do nothing but cover the pain up. Nothing to actaully fix the problem. I have sciata, stenois, DDD, Buldging disc, spondy patient and basically l1 til the end is messed up. Had a micro endoscopic disectomy in 2001 but messed things up again this year and have started on the roll so to speak with nerve blocks meds, ESI MRI ETC
Went to a neuro for a 2nd opinion and get this even though my spondy wasn't on any of the 20 or so MRI reports and it was on this one hthe neuro seems to think that it was a birth defect. The very end of the trail is the worst and the daily battle of working and raising a family bites at times. Just wonder sometimes since our medical system is so advanced why can't they find a good fix for these problems instead of dopping us?

• :) hi! i see you are new and i wanted to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you ask a very thoughtful question. i am so grateful to have medications to help control my pain. i am not eligible for surgical intervention so without meds i would not be a functioning person. so i do wish their was another solution but on the other hand i am so happy to have pain medications. it may be a matter that the FDA makes too much money combined with insurance money and hospital fees to warrant bothering with a sure fix. it is big business! Jenny :)
  • to be made from treating. If they cured it would hurt($) the drug manufacturers as well as the doctors that treat. If you think about it you will realize that nothing has been cured in a very long time. Just like cancer could you imagine all the money that would be lost on treating it if they actually found a cure? Just my opinion.
  • Hi,
    I'm a chronic back pain sufferer and completely understand frustrations at the lack of cure. I've had my condition from the early age of 22 and I'm thirty now.

I spent 10 yrs in academic lifescience research and am now a pharma/biotech consultant. So I have somewhat of a perspective here.

Unfortunately what people are saying here is not really true. It is much harder to cure a disease ( especially ones that we understand so poorly) than to treat its symptoms. Think about it- to cure back pain one- it would take a lot more than just drugs- it would take surgical intervention. Drug companies do not specialize in that area and thus do not really affect the research that takes place in that area. A lot of cutting edge research today will ultimately help in curing of diseases. Tissue engineering coupled with stem cell research, artificail organs, immunological advances in transplant biology, etc all are going to help us cure diseases - hopefully in the not too distant future.

It is not fair thus to blame pharma for producing drugs to treat pain, becaue that is what the DO BEST!

Tommorow's science will be spearheded by biotech and medical device companies. But these treatmetns are likely to be far mroe expensive than drugs.

Its unfortunate- but we do not understand the origins of chronic pain. So how could we sucessfully cure it. I think we should be gretful that we have what we have. Can you imagine living with chronic pain a couple of centuries in the past? you would still have to be able to do hard manaual labor to earn your living. that must have been brutal.

Lets keep supporting each other.
    Can people please mention which drugs help for what kind of pain?

• I think it's ridiculous to think that any researcher is holding back finding cures to keep the drug companies and surgeons in the money. This is ludicrous!

Our bodies, and nervous systems are very complex. While we have vast knowledge about biology, everyone agrees there is still so much to learn. Everyone's body doesn't work exactly the same way either - look at the differences between men and women for instance. It's very complex.

Painintheback: Your statement about there haven't been any cures in a long time really doesn't make sense. Think of all the vaccinations we have, and a new one has recently been developed for women to prevent certain strands of HPV, which can cause cervical cancer. Actually, cancer survival rates are going up all the time - that is "curing" the disease.

Also, sometimes progress is made in little steps and just b/c it's not reported to the general public, it doesn't mean it's not very, very important. Most people probably wouldn't understand the details of studies and "cures" or progress that has been made. Go check out some real medical journals and you might think differently.

Not to pick on anyone, but this is all "conspiracy theory" type thinking that I believe is a bunch of garbage.
  • speaking specifically of chronic pain. They would have to make a dignosis before they could even consider a cure! opinions are like a lot of other things that people have and are entitled to. I sure did not mean to offend anyone by stating my opinion. As I said in the very last line of my post "just my opinion".
    BTW - I could not be more greatful that there are meds that help me with my pain.
    Also in my opinion cancer patients are surviving longer because of treatment. To date there is no cure for cancer. It can be placed in remission but not cured.
  • :) i think painintheback has a point. like the drug companies have nothing to do with holding back drugs which can actually cure us. you must think we are from outer space to believe otherwise. on your level, being an actual researcher, you probably did not have anything to do with the maniputlations and delays of medications. this is big business and there is no other way to look at it. i am well aware of this and will not believe otherwise as long as there are representatives of the big drug companies paying off members of the House and the Senate. Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,874
    I don't think there is a total answer for how to correct someone who is living in chronic pain.
    There have been and are many surgical and non-surgical procedures that focus in on trying to correct the problem(s) that are causing that chronic pain.
    I do not believe there is any doctor worth their weight that would want to string along or hold a patient longer then necessary. Doctors want to fix problems. Researchers want to find ways to improve the way solutions are done today.

Pain Medication- An interesting topic. Yes, it does not directly correct a situation, but:
    1. Provides a level of comfort that is necessary
    2. Can give your body time to start healing
    Besides providing a level of pain relief, having these pain medications can create an environment where you body has a chance to start to heal. That could be part of a surgical recovery period, addressing a flare up or more.

When your body is in constant pain and your mind is aware of it, your body is in a whirlwind. Taking something to calm that down can only be beneficial in the long run to try to stop that whirlwind from happening.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi,

slightly off topic here but my spondy was way easier to detect from a series of plain old x-rays. The tech. had me hold sand bags for flexion and extension comparisons. I believe there were 16 films in all and even to my untrained eye my grade 1-2 spondy was plain as day. I was just curious if you had had any x-rays done?
  • I think the point is that there have been no MAJOR advancements in the treatment of lower back problems in the last 20-30-40 years! I've heard this comment from several surgeons. They can only fix something they can see. If they can't see it, they refer you to pain mgt. Even technology like artificial disks are only good if they see something on film.

Over the same timeframe, look at the advances they've made with the heart, for example. They can find the tiniest block in an artery & use a balloon & stent to fix it before it becomes a major issue - sometimes before you even have symptoms. So I agree with painintheback also.
This discussion has been closed.