Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trubble sleeping

cherrybabyccherrybaby Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a ?. How many have had trubble sleeping after your surgerys? :?
Since I have had the surgery i am taking my pills at night like I have been told to take 2 7.5 tabs and 2mg zanaflex and 50 mg Zoloft. I can take them at 9 or 10p.m. and I will still be up till 12a.m. or later.
I did have troubble sleeping befor but as soon as I took my pills I was out in about 20 min. I try not to sleep during the day. But even when I don't I am still up that late and I get up by 8a.m.
I have not had that much pain so I am trying not to take any pain meds unless I have to. I am able to go for my walks. I can now walk around the block. I do get tired but not to bad.
If you have and advice on what to do i would appreicate it alot!! ;) :)

{l5 S1 plif an 7/17/2008,DDD, and stenosis. Injured at work on 5/31/2007 diagnosed with lumbar strain and sprain. Did epidural and si injections, 2 MRI's, chrio, pt, and may meds.}

• I have the same problem and its getting worse. When I first had my surgery I wouldnt be able to sleep til 1 or 2am now it seems like some nights I'm up ALL night. It's crazy. Around 10AM I start getting so tired I fall asleep while reading or watching tv. I thought maybe I was getting into a trend of sleeping during the day and staying up all night s I made myself stay up all day to see if that worked but nope, I was still up all night. All it did was make me sick.
    I take a muscle relaxer at night and usually a 5mg Perc.
    I'd be interested to hear ppl thoughts or ideas as well.
    I use to be on a sleeping pill before the surgery and my doctordidnt put it back on my list after surgery, I have no idea why.

Christina :)
  • I had surgery on June 10th and found that for me the percoset I was taking for pain was what was keeping me awake at night. Besides trying to find a comfortable position I also would be up half the night watching movies wide awake. I stopped pain meds at 3 1/2 weeks and started being able to sleep a little more, but still had trouble getting comfortable. Just had my 6-7 week check up with surgeon and told him still having trouble sleeping, but I am fine during day no pain at all, have not taken any pain meds since 3 1/2 weeks. I told him I tried advil to sleep and he freaked, told me that stops fusion. He gave me a new script for tramadol and last couple nights have slept best since surgery.
  • My home nurse today just told me that chronic pain sufferers have real low seratonin levels and told me I should really consider melatonin - or if that does not work, see the doc for an rx.

I didn't sleep the days after surgery due to pain, uncomfortableness - I get frozen and can't move AND I think I had some sleep apnea going on. I had a hard time trusting myself to sleep and keep breathing. Well, and the nightmares of suffocating that I started having after the second surgery, a vague memory in post op I believe.

The last few days in the hospital I got more sleep, but still not much.

Now, this last night at home, I'm just too freaked out to sleep well. I still get frozen in place when I fall asleep, it's hard to get moving when I wake. Also I'm just really nervous and anxious and I really wish my right leg felt normal, the wooden-ness is really bothersome.

Oh, and the fact that my alarm goes off every 3 hours for meds!
  • I believe Zoloft is known to cause insomnia. You might try taking it in the AM?

just a thought

Hope you are sleeping right now, I know I *should* be LOL

• You are very early on with your recovery. Very early... My suggestion is to ask your doc for some Ambien. I am 25 weeks post-op from a three level fusion. And I don't know what I'd do without it. Sometimes even I take 1/2 of a valium with it at night.

I hated the thought of going to bed when I was as early on as you. I knew the pain I would have to endure all night. It still to this date is very hard for me to roll from my left side to my right. It's really wierd when I feel my instrumentation while rolling.....

Anyway, see if your doc will perscribe you to a sleeping med and or some valium. You won't heal as long as you're concentrating on your pain. WE ALL HATE taking our pills, but I've found it's extrememly important to our recoveries.

Also, I found that keeping my vertebrea as straight as possible while sleeping really helped. That includes a lot of pillows. Get one of those body pillows, lay on your side with that one between your knees, and hug it at your chest. Even hold another pillow at your belly, chest area. Then what I did was take a towell and roll it up to place in the nap of my back, either laying on your side or on your back. Keep your pain pills next to your bed. You're going to have to accept that this pain is going to be with you for a while. The biggest thing is patience, patience, patience. It takes a lot longer than what your surgeon is telling you. Just remember that. Good luck