Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Difference in Generic meds

JohnnyOJJohnnyO Posts: 118
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey again everybody, hope everyone is doing ok. My message today is about the different generic's and their effectiveness. I am on 10mg oxyIR 4 times per day or as needed when in severe pain. I am always prescribed generics. I am usually prescribed Ethex but was prescribed Mallinkrofdt this latest refill. I am not sure if these are as effective as the ethex, I took 10mg and was still in pain so took another which helped.

Im sure they are probably the same, a couple reasons for this could be my tolerance, and the fact I went about a day and a half with no oxycodone which caused a bad pain flair up that may have needed more of the medicine to get control of the pain. I am also on Cymbalta(60mg per day) and Lyrica(300mg) per day but have not noticed much relief from those, it seems the traditional pain killer is the only thing that gives me relief.

I am wondering peoples experiences with different generics as maybe next time I can ask my pharmacist for a specific generic that may be more effective. Thanks everyone.

• I am on methadone. I used to go to a small family owned pharmacy to fill my scripts. The methadone was long and rectangular. One day it was more convenient to go to CVS and the pills they gave me were tiny and round and work much better than the long ones. The methadone from CVS is actually HCL and the other is not. But I can definitely tell a difference. I have had a few docs over the years that would not write scripts for generic and they insisted that generic is not always as good as the brand names. Of course with the price of meds these days, I always opt for generic when available.
  • Thanks for replying. I am starting to notice less of a difference between the two generics I have been taking lately now that I have taken this new one through the day.

I was wondering how methadone works for you, are you taking it for pain or to help get off opiates? I have been told by a couple of people to try methadone for my chronic pain but the oxycodone seems to work good most times(sometimes have to take more to get relief) and it seems to work on my nerve pain which hydrocodone didnt. Thanks again.
  • Hey Johnny,

I know methadone has helped me so much, and I'd highly recommend it. The only generic - brand name difference I noticed was when I took Oxycontin. I get generics for pretty much all of my meds and I've been alright. Good luck! :)
  • I'm a pharma consultant. I can tell you for a fact there is no chemical difference between generics an branded. The pharma companies rely on your perception to market their brands at a higher cost. I know becasue they come to us when their patents expire and when they fear competition from generics.

Te only reason a generic would be not as good was if thier manufacturing quality was less superior. thanks to regulations this is not the case (usually)

So savce your money and tell your doc to prescribe generics. Also newer modifications of old drugs are often not a whole lot better if at all. Compare product inserts/labels to assess clinical efficacy and side effects before you decide to shell out a whole lot for something that is only incrementally better.

Hope that helps!

• While I agree that for the most parts generics are equal.I have found Mallinkrofdt's hydrocodone based products(Norco/Lortabs) to be weaker.I am biased towards Watson brand for my own piece of mind.
  • My ins plan usually pays for generic and will pay brand names at much higher co-pay, if at all. I always wonder if there is a difference. jade
This discussion has been closed.