Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve damage due to injection

carolyoyoccarolyoyo Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Spinal Injections
Just wondering has anyone had nerve damage due to a spinal injection?
advertisement

Comments

• I have had tons of injections and nerve burns and have never suffered any damage.
  • but I sure did from a discogram. The doc was pushing the needle in to puncture my L5-S1 disc, but instead kept hitting a nerve. Intense pain shot down to my right foot, just like when someone hits your funny bone in your elbow. He tried several times and kept sending the electric shock wave down my leg, before he finally gave up and stated in his report that there was "an obstruction" in the way which prevented him from reaching the disc. Obstruction, yeah, it's called MY NERVE you idiot!

I had always felt blessed to not have suffered from sciatica until having met this "pain management" doctor. He was probably mad at me because before the procedure he asked me why I had never tried injections, and I said "because everyone I've ever heard from says they only last a few days and hated that they wasted the time/money on them!" Probably not the best thing for me to have said to a guy about to poke me with a long needle.
  • about 2 years ago i had a series of epiderals, after second shot is when i started having swallowing problems. I often wonder if this issue had anything to do with the epideral? the shot was done in the c4-5 area.My pain did get better in my neck, upper back, and tension/migrains after the shots.
  • Hi Tergo,

Thanks for your reply. When was the discogram done? Do you still have sciatica? Did the nerve ever heal?

Carol
  • About 3 years ago, I had a spinal injection at the L4-L5 area and approx. 3 days later I had a horrible episode of pain that stabbed me like a knife in my hip, (unfortunately, this is the side I sleep on so I had to train myself to sleep on my R side.) Ever since that shot, I have had pain in this hip no matter what I do. If I happen to sit too long, maybe sleep on that side, waking up and not being able to walk, at times. But to sumize, I believe this is nerve damage which was caused by that shot. I'm kind of an idiot though, I never brought it up to my doc. I tought it was just another thing I had to deal with, meaning my back pain and problems I have with that.
  • Thanks for the info. almost afraid to read it.

Carol
  • I've had steroid injections in my neck 3 years ago and after 2 felt a lot better. He did it with guided fluoroscopy. I just had one about 2 weeks ago and will probably do another. I've had no bad side affects. I'm just resting for two days to be safe;
  • carolyoyo said:
    Just wondering has anyone had nerve damage due to a spinal injection?
    I had a nerve conductivity test(EMG) test that confirmed acute nerve damage after an ESI. I was never told this could happen. I'm on a lot of Lyrica now and told it will take 6-12 months for the nerve to heal.

I'm in more pain now than before I ever said hello to my doctor. After the ESI he said my pain was "emotional" and refered me out for pain management and emotional counceling.

I'm thinking about suing. I'm in pain and scared.

This sounds like I'm a heretic, I know you all seem to trust your Doctors but anyone ever sue their Doc?

• That's terrible you had nerve damage after your ESI. I hope it's only temporary and it does heal but sorry you had to go through that. Have you talked to an attorney? Sometimes they settle out of court. I have not had problems with ESI except "leakage" but the Dr. said it was only temporary. It sounds like he downplayed you when he called you emotional. You really deserved an apology. I have my 3rd ESI on Monday oboy I still have concerns cause this Dr. doesn't use flouroscopy. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had nerve damage due to the direct 'hit' from the needle during my last ESI(June08).It was scary and affected both of my arms..not my legs as all of the reading material says.When the needle hit one arm just froze and lay still and the other one felt as though it were being shocked and I had no control..it flew in the air.I came up a bit from the table in pure fear.Not thinking that could have hurt me too...with the needle still in there and all.

I have posted here in other threads and mentioned that I would never have another injection on my spine(this was in the C area),but I've never told my story.So many people look forward to having relief from their pain and I don't want to scare them,or sound like a pessimist~but my ESI's were unsuccessful~and I've had many.The only one that WAS successful was the one in my hip,but that was for bursae,and not DDD,or spine issues.

To sue your Dr would be a personal choice and I would think that you would have to follow your conscience on that.In my personal opinion,a Dr that did not tell you all of the risks(even if rare),only deserves the same respect that he seemed to give to you.
  • Yes, I had damage to the nerves in my spine due to a local anesthetic (marcaine) with a steroid injection one year ago. I was being treated for a damaged coccyx due to obsessive cycling. Following the injection, no fluoroscope was used, both of my legs have partial numbness, the pain in my coccyx has increased two fold, sleep is rare and the topper is nocturnal enuresis.
    To date: two sleep studies with negligible results, two urologists both saying the injection possibly caused the symptoms; they will not document though. Three osteopathic surgeons all stating poor surgical results, one wanting to remove the tailbone, Three physiatrists all with unusually large hands and questionable bedside manors. One bone scan, two MRI's, two X-Ray's (one sit-stand), and now I am being scheduled for an EMG. Cant wait.
  • I have had no luck from ESIs, I know many people have.
    If I am told to try them again and have an idea they would help I would agree.

What I would not agree to is one done without a flouroscope! No-Way. There is not anyway you can convince me this is a good idea. I have had two ESIs and an shoulder MRI with dye done under flouroscope. After going through those and knowing what I know now, I would not allow it. No thank you.
advertisement