Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I in trouble?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi folks, first time here. I had an anterior/posterior 3-level fusion with 6 screws, cage and 7" titanium rod (anterior). I am at the 7 1/2 year mark. I had the surgery and recovered for a year. I was 27 years old at the time. Soreness and tired back are just a part of life now. I work out days a week and am in the best shape of my life at 35. My question to all of you is this: I recently started cycling in the past few months. I have been completing 56 mile rides once a week with mini 25 mile rides in between. I have never cycled prior to this. I started to feel a "twinge" at the very top of my posterior incision which I assume is scar tissue as the everything was cut and pulled open. Should I be concerned about the "twinge" or will cycling that much cause muscles that I haven't used in a long time to awaken and tug on that scar tissue creating a scare in me? I get very nervous when I feel things like that. I had an MRI 2 years ago as a follow up and my surgeon said everything looked good, strong as an ox. Am I over-reacting?

• and welcome to the forum. I do not know too much about cycling so I would say maybe give your doc a call just to double check. It is always important to check with our docs when we are starting any excercise program , whatever that may be. Once again , welcome and if there is ever anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Take care , Miki
  • I agree with your assessment. My problem, and unless you have had this kind surgery you'll never understand, is that whenever I feel something "new" I tend to fear the worst. My wife thinks I complain a lot about it but the thought of surgery scares the crap out me. I am a recovering alcoholic and drug addict of 5 years and would be devastated if I had to use narcotics again. The possibility of adjacent segment degeneration (ASD)is always on my mind. I test the limits of my fusion but lifting (I use good body mechanics) things I probably should not be lifting (I burn wood so big chunks of wood, etc.) I am 6 ft 1 inch and 205 lbs. I sometimes worry that I am lifting to much at the gym as well. Anyway, I may be worrying about nothing. Question: What symptoms would I be feeling if my L-2 was ruptured now? I know a lot of nerves were damaged and I have some numb areas in the lumbar area but would I be experiencing a lot of pain? Would I not know it until it was to late?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Any insight folks provide is helpful.
  • would really be to check with your doc. Everyone is so different in the pain that they feel after recovering it would be hard to compare your symptoms with someone elses. BTW- Congratulations on recovering from not only 1 but 2 very difficult things to recover from. I wish you much luck and please keep us posted on your progress.