Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre Surgery Comments

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, not quite imminent. I saw my DO this morning. She said when the surgeon finally sets the surgery date he will likely do c3 thru c7 since I have generalized central canal stenosis thru all these levels, some levels worse than others--all the way from medium to severe narrowing. Makes sense, since its better to get it all done at once.

She also told me these neck problems can cause symptoms in my legs. That I didn't know. She said if I get to where I have leg spasm and/or loss of coordination walking to go to the emergency room. At least thats what I think she told me. She also did a reflexes test on my hands, arms and legs today. That test came out ok.

I see the surgeon again Aug 11th. First I am having CAT Scan involving c1 thru c7 and T1. Then the Radiologist is supposed to do a comparison of the CAT with the MRI's. Then I go over to the surgeon the same afternoon.

Whew....I'll sure be glad when all this mess is over with. LOL. Then at least my arms won't be hurting. My neck will be all 'jacked up' instead. LOL.

Ken GreyEagle

• I'm new to this board, well I'm new to the computer too. my problems are in my neck also stenosis c3-7. I also have many other things happening in these areas.
    Significant cord compression c4-5,c5-6,c6-7
    Large right disk herniation at c6-7
    Significant multilevel disc protrusion and spondylosis
    Myelopathy 2 years ago I had some stenosis and some bulging disc.i got a few epidurals at that time to relieve some of the pain, and it did.about 1 year later i noticed my balance getting a bit wobbly,and a few other symptoms i will go into detail if you would like at a different time.to make a long story short here I am today, and I would never want any body to be me. I need surgery real bad [cant believe i would ever say that,]now I'm trying to find a surgeon that will help me, before my symptoms get any worse. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank You,
  • Hi Patsy:

You do have some of the same problems I do. I have the bulging discs, at c6 I have a bone spur with the stenosis, etc. etc. I'll know by Monday Aug 11th the details on what the surgeon will do.

It sounds to me like you do need the surgery real bad. I'm not a doctor and can't say, but sure sounds like it. I hope you can get to good doctors soon who will make the determinations that are best for you!

• I had a cervical ultrasound on my neck last month and I get the results on Tuesday the 5th. What can they find? I do know that I have 2 herinated discs. What else can they find?Sue Brown :?
  • Hi, Grey Eagle
    It is a positive thing that your reflexes are okay. mine are hyper or brisk especially at my knees,and right ankle.do you have any tingling or numbness in your fingers?
  • Hi, some days my reflexes are really crazy. have you had surgery to your whole neck?
  • Hi Patsy:

I've actually had very little tingling and numbness in my fingers. It happens very rarely so far.

• what symptoms got better after surgery? what did not?
  • 4 yrs ago this nightmare started.
    Back pain w/tingling running down both legs. Saw ortho surgeon. Got MRI of Neck and Back. Had 2 wks of Physical therapy.
    Didnt help, caused more pain. Allergic to aspirin. Cant take anti inflammatory drugs! YUK! Was diagnoised w/Spondlythesis. Neck MRI showed bulges w/no intrusion. At the time I did not have any neck pain at all.
    2 yrs ago the neck pain started. Comes and goes.
    Now the tingling started again in the back of the legs.Saw neurosurgeon today.He only did MRI of back, not neck. Couldnt understand that.
    He said Grade I spondlythesis. No invasion. He recommended physical therapy. Wouldnt even discuss the neck or an Mri. I was very discouraged. I made an appt to see an Ortho surgeon on Monday. I want this nightmare to be over
    Is there anyone out there w/this.
    I was also dx'd with DDD of the lower back.
  • Aug 11th thats not to far away, i got a call from the 2nd opinion NS yesterday, the doc himself called me,he is the one i seen in april 2006, when my symptoms were very very mild,at that time he said he did not think i needed surgery,I go see him on aug 18th, and im suppose to go see a different neurologist on aug 14th, in Madison Wis, that appointment was made about 3 months ago, im not sure if im gonna keep it, thats a long drive.(my hubby will take me)(i dont do much drivin these days)and im not really sure if i can get any help out of seeing another neurologist
  • hello,i dont really no the answer to your ?.but maybe the symptoms in the back of the legs could be sciatica,i do get that once in awhile, more so when i would drive a long distant,but mine isnt to painfull.

I cant take any anti-inflammatory meds neither,i took naproxen for about 10 years and im not saying that is what caused all my gastro issues, but docs have told me never take anything like that again,i used to take naproxen every day two times a day for years
    good luck- i hope you find sum answers

• The only usual issue in your neck that can cause symptoms in your legs is from cord compression in your neck which usually causes symptoms higher up first. The usual culprit of leg symptoms is a nerve issue in the back. Look up dermatomes on google. It will show you what areas of your body coincide with which nerve root.
  • I realize tat was confusing but look up dermatomes.