Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LadyBugLLadyBug Posts: 851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm new to this board, well I'm new to the computer too. my problems are in my neck also stenosis c3-7. I also have many other things happening in these areas.
Significant cord compression c4-5,c5-6,c6-7
Large right disk herniation at c6-7
Significant multilevel disc protrusion and spondylosis
Myelopathy 2 years ago I had some stenosis and some bulging disc.i got a few epidurals at that time to relieve some of the pain, and it did.about 1 year later i noticed my balance getting a bit wobbly,and a few other symptoms i will go into detail if you would like at a different time.to make a long story short here I am today, and I would never want any body to be me. I need surgery real bad [cant believe i would ever say that,]now I'm trying to find a surgeon that will help me, before my symptoms get any worse. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank You,

• Sorry you have to go thru all of this. I also have cervical issues, including stenosis. You mentioned that you need surgery real bad. Have you seen any orthopedic or nuerosurgeon recently for evaluation? Myelopathy should be taken very seriously. I'm sure there are many folks here at SH who will share experiences with you. God bless.--Mazy
  • thanks for the reply,I have seen 2 NS, but no ortho. I seen last NS about a month ago, Im waiting to hear back from a diff NS now. Im so worried that my legs are gonna quit all together.I do have an appointment Aug 16th in madison. have you had surgery? again thank-you for your words. God Bless You
  • finally someone with leg issues. i'm freaking out. i'm 45 and can't walk sometimes. i have myleopthy for 4 years. what happens to your legs? are u gonna have surgery?
  • hello dhoward,I have balance issues and weakness in my legs. the NS i seen a couple of weeks ago says i need surgery,but he wont do the surgery he wants me to go to another NS.(still waiting for phone call).have you had surgery? what does your mri show? do you have other issues?
    I'm 45 too.
  • No, I have not had surgery. I do have moderate stenosis at several levels. I wasn't aware of any of my problems until earlier this year. Since I have very few symptoms, the nuerosurgeons would not do surgery at this point. For me, surgery is a last resort. But, they did tell me that myelopathy would indicate the need for fast surgery. So, I am paranoid about arm or leg weakness! I understand what a worry all of this is for you. Keep us posted, and hope you hear from the second n/s for an appointment soon!--Mazy
  • hi patsy,

i have myelomalacia, stenosis, degenerative disks, herniations 5-7, severe foraminal. i have not had the surgery yet but i went to 4 surgeons and they all are concerned about the myeleopothy. they all say it's 50-50 that'll get better and that is related to the legs. he is positive thought because i am young(45) so i just pray it'll get better.

you are lucky you only have one disk. you can do the artifical disk i think now approved by the fda. i can't cuase i have 2 disks.
    what are you symptoms? mine started 4 years ago. mostly shoulder and arm pain.and my neck was tight all the time especially after i worked out. i always felt like i had brain fog. then a year later once in a while i'd get the leg weakness. SCARY...i went to the emergency 3 times-of course they couldn't figure it out. now this year my legs are getting worse. it happens once a week now or more. so i can't wait too much longer for the surgery. i'm in denial still and will go get a cat scan as well...and see a neurologists who specializes in spines. so he will give me an honest answer. but, i have a feeling it's not going to be the answer i want!!

from the peeps on this site, it doesn't seem THAT bad.....i'm more worried about the drugs and that i'll have to do it AGAIN because of the damage that metal cases to the surrounding disks.

tell me about your symptoms and legs....has this affected you sexually at all? i heard it does.
  • There are a few of us here on SH who have had and still have leg symptoms related to c-spine stenosis or myelopathy. d...I had responded to your question in another thread http://www.spine-health.com/forum/neck-pain-cervical/no-one-else-understands-what-im-going-through but I suppose you may not have gone back to it. I think your questions just got buried. Myself...I know that I can't possibly keep up with all the messages on this board.

Prior to surgery my legs would go numb (knee down to ankle) when I was laying on my back. It got so bad that months before surgery I could only lay on my sides. Sometimes while sitting my left knee would also go numb, it made walking difficult. My toes would also go numb or tingle when walking. Since surgery I am much better. I still get a random funny/numb feeling in my shin and calf (left leg) and I have a burning/poking pain in my left leg. Since I am now over a year post-op we're unsure whether it will get any better than this....but I'm not complaining because this is waaaaayyyyy better than before.

It is my understanding that leg issues resulting from cord compression in the c-spine will NOT get better without surgery....but then again, I'm not a doc, so what do I know.

Take care.
  • I have cervical stenosis, degenertive changes, osteoarthritis in my neck from a car accident 20 years ago ranging from C2 to T1. I am waiting for an MRI. I have been reading the web but am wondering what symptoms you all have experienced. I'll share what I can think of. Pain, numbness and tingling in the right arm in various combinations at different time. Now tingling in left arm. Hip pain but I may have an injury. Pain in thighs, I'm a klutz in general but now I'm starting to wonder if there is a cause. I get pain in legs- very diffuse and almost like its flowing through the vains. On a really bad day, every appendage hurts. I also have fibromyalgia but he doesn't think the pain is just that. Sometimes it seems I drag a foot. My lumbar spine is fine. Cold sensations in my right arm. Numbness especially on the right. Pain in shoulders, neck,arms, back. I would really appreciate any feedback. I've been through so much in just the past two weeks. I'm very tired and stiff. Lyme, lupus has been ruled out.
  • In april 2007- I was in about the shape you sound like you are in. (just my advice)keep a close eye on your symptoms and pain, if you notice things changing, get another MRI
  • i don't understand. i thought you had surgery and you got better?
    do you think the doctor messed up your surgery? made the other disks worse? i'm SO scared with you. I'm SO scared i will be paralyzed too. today i can barely walk. last night i woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't feel my legs.
  • hello-no I have not had surgery on my neck, maybe you got me mixed up with someone else on here,I find myself doing that. how long did it last? that you could not feel your legs,
    how is your balance? do your legs hurt? do you have tingling feelings in your legs and feet? what are your reflexes like?
  • i wasn't reading it right cause i thought u had surgery. but i have all the symptoms you have. how long have you had it? i've had it 4 years now. stupid doctor never referred me to a doctor and forgot all about the test in my file for 4 years now. i'm meeting with a lawyer on monday. pray that he'll take the case.
    anyway, sometimes my legs last 1/2 a day, then one day, sometimes in the middle of the night, it'll wake me and i won't be able to feel my legs much. i get up and try to walk. i'm scared i'll never walk again. i really hope it's the cervical spine and that the doc can fix it. he says its a 50-50 shot on the legs but that the rest will get fixed. i'm scared the fusion will ruin the surroundin disks and cause me more problems then when i started.

r u going to have the surgery? i'm in new york. where r u? anyone know a nyc doc? i think i'm going w/dr. diGiacinto...he does like 80 or 90 cervicals for the past 20 years and most success rates. only one that didn't fuse.. he won't guaranttee the legs but is positive.

will u do the surgery? or are u thinking about it?? i don't have balance problems only if i try the exercises at the doctors. i have arm pain but other than that nothing...headaches
  • my balance issues started about two years ago,the weakness in my legs started about a year ago, I have brisk(hyper)reflexes at the knee thats a sign of myeolpathy, do you have any fingers going numb or tingly? i do get tension/migraine headaches they usually start in the back of my neck, .i go see second NS aug 14 and another one on aug 18.do you sleep good these days? i dont Im tired all day but dont sleep at night
  • i had a three level fusion April of 08, surgery itself was fairy easy (just speaking for myself). Had some issues with swallowing, but nothing that lasted any length of time. The surgery was a success story, most of the pain was gone when I woke up. My only problem was that I can't take pain meds as they make me sick, so I requested no pain meds and had no problem with pain that I could not handle. I am 100% fused and wish I had not waited so long for the surgery. Everything that was fixed gets better each day. SO PLEASE don't do what I did and wait so long! Had I knowen how simple this surgery was I would and should have had surgery years ago.
    I do have four herniated in the thoracic spine that is causisng sever chest and upper back pain. I will have surgery for this issue in March of next year (if I can stand the pain for that long).
    MY Ortho is in Lockport new york and I have faith in him. This is the same Ortho that opperated on the football player Keven Everett last year. If anyone in New York wants a good Ortho I can provide you with his name and address, just give me a yell. Good luck to all of you. trcbyrs@aol.com
  • trc-i sent u an email re:ny doc...he sounds great. i hope he's in my plan. send me the name when u can...so you did NECK surgery right? and did u already have the thoracic issue before the neck issues or after surgery?

patsy, i don't have alot of tingling. headaches starting from the back-yes...my legs are weakness in my upper quads. good luck on your 2nd and 3rd opnions. i've had 4 so far!! only one said that he won't do the surgery unless i get better quality MRI's and he ordered a CAT-scan. but i feel better with the nuero...well, we'll see where i end up.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF DX9000 or spinal decompression for the spinal compression myelopothy?
This discussion has been closed.