Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Sleep Problems
Trazadone in 50mg - 150mg works wonders for sleep...and I do mean wonders....

Usually in my case 100mg is more than sufficient and I SLEEP 8-10 hrs....before this never longer than one hour at a time never....what a welcome relief....it's worth the shot...

Thanks goodness I have a pain management doctor who will try various trials when one does not work we try another....it took him alomst a year or more to get my pain med's in line to actually work....

I see some conversation in regards to Lyrica for sleep..my experience is it never helped me...it does relief pain in the leg for me in 75mg four times a day...along with methadone 10mg 8 times a day and tramadol four times a day....

• Im using ambien at the moment. it does not make me tired,but it does help relax me I used lunesta before that and after about 1 month of that it quit working too, I have some trazadone from a while ago im gonna try it tonight,(fingers crossed) I have been taking tramadol for i think about 9 or 10 years, but i never take it after 2pm because it kinda gives me energy and i really wont be able to sleep in pm.I take 2-50mg at 6am and 2 more at 10am. does it give you a little energy too? what kinda of pain are you having? have you had surgery?
  • Total body pain with surgery in May 2001 with a fusion at the l-4/l-5.
    Serve degeneration, serve stenosis, fractures, bone on bone, spurs you name it.
    Neuropathy mainly in right leg.

My PAIN med's consist of;
    Methadone 10mg 8 times a day well actually 2 10's four times a day along with 75mg of Lyrica and 50mg of Tramadol.
    Lexapro 20mg to "mellow" me along with Zanax to help with anxiety....I am also in a cancer treatment program and doing well. But pain mgmt thought with that I should have something to calm me.....soooo Severe FATIGUE prior to the injury in Dec 2000 and continues with no explanation.....none of the above med's cause me to have energy highs or lows that I can tell and this Trazadone is the only thing that has ever made a difference in my sleep....It does not make me tired, but when I do lay down at night I go to sleep within minutes and sleep solid straight through without any drugged feelings when I awake....so for me it's a winner....
    I am one of these people that has a very high tolerance to med's and have been on just about everything under the sun so when we do find something that actually works I am delighted and the only reason I joined this site and billboard was to put out this word to those with sleep problems and I am sure it will not work for all.....but if for a few great...
    If you try it tonight like you said I would really be interested in seeing how it worked....do 100mg......
  • I take Trazadone - 100 mg at bedtime. Most nights my pain still wakes me but with the Trazadone I can sleep 4-5 hours before waking and can usually go back to sleep. Before my PCP put me on Trazadone, I would sleep 2-3 hours and wake up in pain and then not be able to get back to sleep for a couple of hours. For me, just being able to know I can sleep 4-5 hours a night is wonderful.

When I had my first back surgery, my surgeon put me on Trazadone for a while then and he told me that it works better with back problems and nerve pain than a regular sleeping medication (at least at that time). So, when my PCP wanted to give it to me again, I was more than willing.

I've never tried any of the other sleeping meds. While my back was doing well, I didn't have any trouble sleeping. Then after my back broke down last year, the pain made it difficult for me to sleep.

I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for something to help them sleep. It does not leave me feeling groggy or make it difficult to get up in the morning.
  • Cathy I find exactly what you find...it does NOT put me into any type of drugged state.
    It does not knock me out before I am ready to retire....I usually take my dose two to four hours before bedtime...I like to do it about two hours ahead of time, but like I said it does not "put me to sleep" but rather help me go to sleep right away and stay asleep throughout the night with maybe one trip to the lav.
    In the mornings I do not feel any effects like other drugs I take or have taken...
    I would suggest to Cathy S. if you are getting this results with 100mg ask the dr if it's ok to go to 150mg. My dr said I am prescribing 150mg, start with 50 go to 100 and if necessary go to 150 and if that doesn't work something is really wrong...so just ask and try it and I think you will see the 5-6 hrs turn into 7-8 and that is what really makes a difference.
    Good luck and I would like to hear the results...MANY of us have really bad sleep issues and if this works for one in ten we have accomplished something.
  • thank-you for your insight on the trazadone,I took 100mg and i did pretty good on friday night,you were right it didnt make me feel loopy or anything i slept for bout 3in a half hours. sat night i took 150 and i slept even better,so a big thank-you too you. if i remember right this script was pretty cheap too. good sleep really makes a difference in how you feel, no sleep-more pain good sleep-less pain,
  • My prescription for Trazadone was about $2 on my old insurance - it's a whole $5 on my new plan. Even without insurance I think it's under $10 and that's for a 30 day supply.

Can't beat the price!
  • I'm going to try going to 150 mg tonight and see how it works. I think that since it is already helping me at 100 mg that it will probably do even better at 150 mg. If it does work, I have a dr's appointment next week so I'll talk to her about changing my prescription.

• i was going to ask about this.
    iv been on lunnesta, ambian and rozerem. i took the rozerem tonight at 10pm still awake at 12pm. woke up with a horribl e nightmare. i think i got a total of 30 min of sleep. so came downstairs ate, am sitting on here of course and trying to get a grip on things.
    i need SLEEP.
    alot of anxious feelings going on with family issues and a revision surgery next month due to non fusion. plus waking up uncomfy w/ pain.
    so i think i will call tomorrow to and see if this works. since iv heard so many good things about it.

i wish you all con't success on it!!!!!
  • I guess I'm one of the weirdos... 8} My doc started me at 100mg Trazodone, which knocked me out in minutes the first night and after that..nothin! So he upped it to 200mg which, again, knocked me on my ass the first night, and the next night...nothin! Not even a few minutes of sleep!

I get so frustrated...the only things that have worked for me long term are Ambien and Ambien CR (even my xanax doesn't help me sleep), but since I have Medicaid I'm at their mercy. They covered Ambien for me 2 years ago for 3 months (after giving me a prior-authorization for 6!), and when I went to have it filled the 4th month, they told the pharmacy I have "exceeded the LIFETIME maximum benefit for this type of medication"! :O :T Seriously??!!! I'm not quite 34 yet and they're telling me I can NEVER get covereage for sleeping meds EVER again? I just don't see how they can say that! And I could get Zolpidem (gen. for Ambien) and pay cash, but even being generic it's still $60 a month...there's no way I can afford that on my $500 a month income! Even if it was just me, and not my 3 boys, I don't think I could swing that...heck I just got car insurance back on my car after it had been lapsed since January! But boy do I wish I could..or that my doc could get samples or something. I've tried everything under the sun. I'm lucky to get 8 hours of sleep a WEEK, and it's always at odd hours (like anytime BUT nighttime /:) ~X( ). (sorry...got a tad fired up there, didn't I?) #o

It really irks me that insurance companies, be it government (like Medicaid) or private, can override what a Doctor says we need! I'll never understand that one...it simply makes my blood boil! X(

I am, however, glad to hear it's helping so many others and sure hope it continues to help more people, because as already said, it is easy on the pocketbook for those w/o insurance!! Best of luck to those of you trying it, or who hope to be trying it!

God bless you all...
  • Tanya about the trazadone, ask doc if you can take a higher dose, i just recently started taking trazadone again i took it a couple of years ago and at that time i switched to lunesta, but any way this script is given to by my arthritis doc.he told me to start out at 100 and if i dont get good sleep next night try 150 and so on all the way up to 350 mg and stop increasing when i find the dose that gets me at least 6 hours sleep i belive he said i could take 8 pills a night and still be ok, i have been taking 200 it works pretty good
    another thing xanax, my family doc, who lives in this tiny town real close to me, he is a sweety pie and even makes house calls. he isnt one to write scripts very often, last month seen him. he has never liked the fact that i take ultram and has told me so right from the beginning. well he gives me script for xanax to take 3 times a day to maybe calm myself down, i have never taken this before and right after first dose it makes me very hyper full of energy,which might be good at times but not now. i try my second dose next morning same thing, so if xanax is to chill a person, i could clean my whole house with one little pill. only my pain is so bad i cant and i tell ya its not good to be going a hundered miles and hour and not be able to hardly get up a walk. SORRY about going on
  • Ive taken trazadone for years and it is effective in knocking me out. However it makes my mouth dry and it seems to have a mild hangover effect which i dont get with ambien. all just minor complaints its a good drug all around