Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery, hip pain and introduction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening everyone,

I've been watching, reading and more reading for the last few months. On July 11th I had a l4/l5 & l5/s1 discectomy, also the DR scraped (sorry cant remember the real term) out the canal to allow my nerves more room. Basically have been having off and on episodes of right leg pain for 6 years, until 2 months ago my entire right leg went numb and that was enough for me.

Now, my story today, went to my Dr and spoke about numbness taking forever to heal... ya know, the same ole same ole.. however on my way home I stopped to get a couple new pillows and getting into the car I felt a strain around my right hip, upper right leg area. Once home I tried getting into bed for a nap and felt a really sharp pain (charlie horse type) from my right hip down to my right knee.

So a few questions, and opinions if ya'll would. 1) How do you know if you have reherniated your disc? 2) Is that hip pain the nerves reawakening, or could I have actually done something to hurt it? 3) Any suggestions to help with this?

Also, I have read through most of the introductions, etc.. and am just looking for fresh comments for me.

• Hi Dan,

Hey, with your strain - I would be for calling the doc and asking about doing an MRI or something. Is the pain still worse now? Has is subsided at all?

I have no idea about re-herniation, but I would get it checked out.
  • Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I've managed to find out that if I press one certain spot on the side of my right hip, almost at the point where your hip joint moves sideways etc... the pain is gone. I'm not sure if that means I'm just cutting the nerve signal from my back or what???? :?

I also have dull aches in my calf down into my right ankle area. I'm praying that I just made my nerves mad. Any other comments, info, suggestions are certainly welcome. Scary to go through something like this, but nice to know others are out there who understand.

I see my PT tomorrow, so will ask him, and then either give it a few days, or call my neurologist and ask for advice, mri, etc...

thanks again,

• I was told that if you re-herniate YOU WILL KNOW IT. I had a microdisc/lami in Feb. My hips hurt all the time still. And my left butt/thigh/calf are constantly "cramped".

I had another MRI in May - I have scar tissue surrounding the nerve root and thecal sac. I went ahead and did another round of the epideral injections - and they did not help.

Don't overdo it in PT. My new NS said I started too early (5 weeks post op) and probably was too aggressive with it.
  • Thanks very much for your input cranky! My PT so far has just been electrical stimulation around the incision area, gentle stretching of the feet, legs, etc... and then ice. At this point I can't walk a whole lot, not like some of these people on here who are saying they're walking 2,3+ miles a day. I'm lucky I make it a block and back at this point.

One day at a time, and getting used to all these new aches, pains, etc..

Thanks all,

• After seeing my PT this morning, he tested my reflexes and noticed that my right foot has lost it's reflex. When doing a one legged foot raise my right leg felt totally heavy compared when doing a leg raise on my left side. He thinks I just aggravated a nerve, but he did say the lack of reflex was a big concern.

Still feeling a charlie horse like feeling down my right leg, from hip to knee, but hopefully it will calm down. Next appointment is Monday and he states if it isn't better by then I'll call the Dr and go from there. Definitely nervous that I reherniated the disc ad I'll have to go through all this again.

• Foot drop is NOT a good sign. I'm worried with you. Good thing you are getting it checked out. Best of luck
  • Well, another update for me. With the advice doing more stretching with my legs, ankle lifts, etc... still have pain from the hip down the leg, but not as bad. Have gone back to work, (3 day work) and that made my back hurt around the incision, but I think that's just from the fact I was walking around quite a bit more than I was. Boy was I exhausted at the end of the day! lol...

My next Dr appointment is in 2 weeks, and if this side isn't better I'll ask for another steroid pack, or perhaps a shot for swelling, or maybe another mri. Other than that, everything else is just that real achy feeling.

On one hand I get real depressed (but happy for those individuals) who have zero pain after 3 or 4 weeks, but then feel better knowing I have a great group here who have gone through the same things.

God bless all,

• I wish you continued success hun.

Best Wishes,
    CHristina :)
  • Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear you are having hip pain, no advice to offer it sounds like you are doing the right things with the PT and the Doc's appointment if things dont' improve.

Have you tried using a TENS machine at all to help keep your mind off the pain? I used one pre-op and it doesn't take the pain away but it does keep your mind off it.

Hope things improve soon, keep us updated as to how you get on.

• thanks for the kind words. Im just worried right now that I reherniated my disc and I'll have to go all over this again... and now being told I'm being laid off in December doesn't help the depression setting in. One day at a time.

They use the TENS machine at PT, or perhaps a different brand name. Hook me up for 10-20 minutes, and ice me down and definitely makes me feel better. I didn't realize one could purchase and use it at home? I'll have to look into that and ask my PT if it's ok to use one everyday?

Thanks all,

• Hi Dan,

I have my own TENS unit, it cost about 35 pounds to buy and I found it very useful. I don't think there are any negative effects from using one everyday. Mine has several different "frequencies" that you can set it to which is a good feature.

Sorry to hear about the job situation, not the news you needed to boost your spirits. Hopefully your surgeon will be able to tell you if you have re-herniated and come up with a plan if thats the case.

Hang in there,

• I had a micro twice. I reherniated the first one 5 days after surgery. I definately knew it. I bent over to pick up my son who fell on the floor without thinking and as I stood up an immediate pain shot straight down my leg again. It was so painful I couldn't stand it. It almost felt as if my leg was on fire. I continue to have hip pain it wont go away. I have other issues there though.
  • Good evening all,

THought I would give another brief update. Hip pain from hip to knee is stil there, but after the PT (a new one) did a very DEEP muscle massage on me Tuesday, (hurt like crap the rest of the day) and then another one today, I feel better than I have. The PT's think it's just a bad strain and is going to take time to heal up, i'm praying so.

Also starting to get pins and needles in my feet, and cramps/aches in my calfs. According to what my PT think, this is a good sign that the nerves are coming back to life and firing down my legs. Hope so.

A couple questions. Anyone else start getting cramps in their calfs 5+ weeks post-op? Also, the pins and needles... I'm thinking a very good sign, agree or disagree?

I see my DR next week for 6-week checkup.

• Its true that the only way you can tell if you reherniated your disk is by having an MRI. If you are having lot of pain with it I would go right away and set up an MRI with your surgeon.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Just back from my 6 week post-op with my Dr.' assistant. I still haven't seen the surgeon (which I mentioned to the assistant). After describing my current condition of the following:

1: Cramps in both calfs
    2: Hip pain (not real bad, maybe a 2 or 3)
    3: Occasional leg weakness (at times my legs just feel rubbery)
    4: A few other aches and pains here and there.

The Dr' assistant told me these are all normal and will take time to heal. She did not prescribe me anything else for inflamation, for the leg cramps, or for the minor pain (compared to pre-surgery anyway).

Comments? Suggestions?

I see my PT this afternoon, and will discuss with him whether or not I need to continue with PT or not. Dr' assistant told me that normally she doesn't feel the need for patients to continue PT past the 6 week mark.

So... I'm a little confused and discouraged at this point. I guess I'll continue with the stretching, etc.. and give it another 2-4 weeks and if conditions don't improve call the Dr back and state as much.

Prayers to all,

and thanks,