Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Transforaminal ESI tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Spinal Injections
It's been a while since my last posting, but with me heading for Bilateral ESI's tomorrow, figured I'd take a moment to pose a couple questions:
1) How many of you had ESI's that were done transforaminally?
2) Did any of you experience CSF leaks?

The reason I ask is that:
1) My last set of ESI's, done prior to my surgery last July, were essentially "blind sticks" done interlaminar. The guy was more of an OB type anesthesiologist, though he doubled as a PM provide (gotta love the military). Gave me 2 injections, neither of which did anything (but no harm either).
2) Back when I was 20 (about 16 years ago), I had my first ever ESI following the bulging of L4-L5. I was new to the whole "back game", and didn't know what to expect. When the guy performed the procedure, he managed to term the dura, and there was a CSF leak. No big deal, but he didn't do the blood patch at the time, consigning me to 2 weeks of MISERY (ie dizziness & nauseu) every time I stood up. He eventually did do the blood patch, but none-to-soon.

I'm hoping this this will give me a bit of relief, as I'm not becoming bi-laterally symptomatic about a year after my left side discectomy at L5-S1. Latest MRI doesn't show much on the left, though I'm still positive for residual pain. It's the right side that's concerning, as there is a new "protrusion" along the central/right side of the same disc. Just met with the NS the other day, and he's concerned that pain is bilateral. He recommeded I follow up with all the conservative treatment modalities (I'm doing PT, acupuncture and Chiro...the latter, a big mistake)), but had the impression that I'd be "seeing him again at some point". Mainly hoping this will buy me some time, so that I can get through the "acute" period and (hopefully) avoid further surgery.

Just figured I'd touch base with "the gang"

• I just had my 3rd one yesterday...all transforaminally...i've had no problems except for stiffness pain and headaches...my doc does 25-30 of these a day so I would hope there'd be no problems.
  • Well, had the epidural today, and the procedure seemed to go over withouth a hitch (other than being nearly an hour behind schedule). The hit me with the verced, and the only thing I remember from that point was the sensation of the steroid running down my leg a bit as he was injecting the second (left side). No dural tears, ergo no CSF leaks...which was one of my big fears.

For now, I'm just taking it easy the remainder of the day, and am waiting to see the effect (if any) this will have. So far, the topical anesthetic has worn off, as has the anesthic coupled with the steroid. The pain has resumed in my back/leg, but it was manageable before, so I guess I can't complain. Only concern is the fact that I have "cool" sensation in my right foot (the recently affected side). I hestiate to used the term "decreased sensation", but it does have the similiar feeling as when your food falls asleep. I'm trying to not jump to conclusions, and cognitively figure this is simply a response to the meds pressing on the nerve a bit in the epidural space. That said, I'm trying to remain catiously optimistic that this will provide some relief.

Thanks again for being willing to listen!

• Good luck,and i hope your esi gives you some pain relief....
  • Glad your ESI went well and hope you have tons and tons of relief from it! I had my second one done on Wed and can feel alot of relief and I hope you get relief as well....Take care!!!!