Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical disc replaement surgery in 2 weeks

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
well, after much thought and reviewing all the posts i have decided to go ahead and go for the surgery (in 2 weeks). The thought of being a parapalegic scares the heck out of me.

Not sure of what the following all means, have lived in 'google' for the past 2 months so any input anyone may have would be appreciated. According to my ortho, due to the stenosis, a non-surgical approach is not recommended. Still, i have plenty of fear of going in under the knife, and having someone rearrange my throat and caratoids! He wants to do a disc replacement as the outcome should be much better. Really didnt want a fusion, but things may change once he gets in there.

c2 normal
c3-4 intervertebral disk space exhibits a small central bulge without significant central canal or neural foraminal compromise.
c4-5 intervertebral disk space exhibits a small central bulge without significant central canal or neural foraminal compromise. Mild left facet hypertrophy.
c5-6 intervertebral disk space exhibits a moderate diffuse bulge with likely disc osteophyte complex. Associated moderate central canal narrowing 8mm. Moderate right neural foraminal narrowing with moderate to severe left neural foraminal narrowing. Mild posterior facet hypertrophy.

• I am curious about your statement about being a parapalegic. Did your doctor tell you this? I assume it's C5-6 that you are having worked on? Are you having ADR or ACDF? How did your injury occur? Have you seen more than one doc? Good luck, and keep us posted. --Mazy
  • If significant nerve damage accurs in the cervical spine a person can become a paraplegic. If the spinal cord is significantly damaged above the c4 it will result in respiratory failure and the patient will never be able to breath on their own. Christopher Reeves had damage at c4.

Iwana- What adr has your Dr. recommended? I am curious my Dr said I was not a canidate for the Adr due to multiply levels of bulges. My situation is almost like yours but the other way around. c5-6 large bulge, c6-7 minimal bulge and c7-t1 minimal bulge.

How long have you had these bulges and how fast did it progress to a diffuse disc bulge?

If and when I need surgery I want Adrs. I feel so strongly about their success that I have decided to never get a fusion (only in emergency situation of course).

• Yours looks somewhat similar to mine. Mine says 'Progression of multilevel DDD superimposed on moderate congential central canal stenosis.' C3-C4 there is now a small central disc protrusion which more broadly slightly flattens the anterior cord margin with questionable signal change.

C4-C5 there are small left and small to moderate sized lateral dis protrusion/spur complexes, displacing and possibly impinging the C5 nerve roots. The left lateral disc protrusion/spur coomplex also midly indents the left anterior cord margin.

At C5-C6, a moderate sized right postlateral disc extrusion is slightly larger than on the prior study, mildly to moderately indents the cervical cord and impinging right C6 nerve root. Disc bulging and left unciate process spurring at this level displace left C6 nerve root in its foramen.

At C6-C7 there is questionable increased T2 signal in the left cord.

That's a summary. My DO believes the surgeon will decide to do fusion C3 to C7 to take care of all the issues. I'll find out Aug 11. The Surgeon requested CAT SCan and the Radiologist to compare the CAT with the MRI results.

Ken GreyEagle
  • What is the diff. between MRI and catscan, I have had many many MRI's and no Cat scans for my neck problems. does any one know?
  • I'm always curious when I someone posts about the doctor saying they are in danger of becoming a parapalegic. Sure, there's some risk, and I'm sure there are some cases of paraplegic consequences, but IMHO, there are docs that use that to scare people into surgery. OF COURSE EACH PERSON NEEDS TO HAVE CONFIDENCE IN THEIR DOC AND FOLLOW DOCS RECOMMENDATIONS. A catatrophic accident can happen to anyone at anytime (cervical issues or none.) I'm with you on fusions. I think ADR is a better alternative if it's possible. I thought Chris Reeve's accident was at C2.--Mazy
  • MRI's show more of the soft tissue in the pictures whereas a CAT Scan will show more detail on the bony structures. That's my understanding of it. The Main Spine-Health Web Page has quite a bit useful on these two diagnostic tools as well.

• Sorry any major damage at C4 or above always involves respiratory failure. That is what I meant by the damage at C4 on C. Reeves.

This discussion has been closed.