Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Terrible pain, cant sleep... any tips??

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 550
So I am having some of the worst pain ever in my butt/hip/leg.

It's not the worst pain I've ever had, but its the worst my leg has ever been. I keep drifting off to sleep, and the pain is waking me up. I can't get comfortable at all.

Does anyone have any advice or tips, on relieving sciatic pain? I use a pillow between the legs, and that usually helps, but it's doing nothing for me tonight.

Thanks
Amanda
advertisement

Comments

• with drugs, and sleeping on the floor (on drugs). Sigh. Hate to point you to the medicine cabinet, but Flexeril is a good one.

Do you ever do ice / heat? May want to try that as well. Big fan of the pillow between the knees, If you tilt your pelvis upward, does that give you relief? I only ask because some nights I end up sleeping sort of curled up in a little ball, rounding my back to get some relief.

I like your panda, by the way.
    Good luck getting some sleep.
    --Melissa
  • :) hi! well are you taking Lyrica or another nerve pain medication? sleep is a tough one. when sciatica rears its head you may be up and only catching naps. that is usually what i wind up doing and i just don't chase sleep. i work on the computor, read or watch some tv. good luck and i hope you are asleep right now! Jenny :)
  • Lyrica is for nerve source pain, nothing else. That is, if you have a related muscular issue only, Lyrica won't do anything.

My experience: I have L4/L5/S1 issues, have had a laminectomy, and they now suggest a spinal fusion of S1/L5. No way!
    I'm taking Lyrica: 1 75mg tab, twice a day, plus
    Methadone: 1 10mg tab, twice daily
    This combo is the best of all the meds I've tried in the last 5 years.
    Methadone is also for nerve pain. One of these meds interrupts the pain message to the brain, and the other blocks its reception at the brain (at this moment I've forgotten which does which. They haven't totally eliminated the pain but have certainly reduced it significantly. Other advice: if you start taking Methadone and take it for a week or so, do NOT stop taking it all at once. It will ruin your day!

One final suggestion which works well for me: Right before I get down for the night I take two "Advil PM" gel tabs. The ibuprofen helps with the pain, and these gels have a mild sleep component. Not perfect, but helps a great deal.

• For TRAZADONE.....For nearly 8 years I NEVER had one night that I slept through the nite...not one until it became so bad I was sleeping twenty minutes and up for another twenty and complained and complained to every doctor I have and I have many in addition to pain mgmt I am in a cancer treatment program and a couple of other health issues...

But finally my pain mgmt dr said try Trazadone start with 50mg go to 100mg if necessary and finally to 150mg if necessary....

The first night with 50mg until I laid down I felt no effect but I was asleep in two minutes and slept 10 straight hours....and it's pretty much been that way ever since with no side effects before or after..

Good Luck

I also take Lyrica 75mg 4 times a day,,,tramadol 50mg 4 times a day, methadone 20mg 4 times a day in addition to a host of other meds not necessarily aimed at pain but I thing do help as prescribed by pain mgmt..lexapro 20mg and Zanax 10mg once a day.

I have been on every combination of meds to control my pain issues and it took YEARS to get this combo to maintain a level five......which I can handle...so I "think" there is a combo of meds or even one if it's the right one to help.
  • Everything I can think of to relive the pain. I just started taking Ultram and Skelaxin, Neuro said try taking 2 a day of each... but that I could take 4 a day if needed. Last night I had already reached 4 Skelaxin. I had only taken 2 of the ultram, and actually reached for another, but decided to go for tylenol instead. I also take Naproxen, maxed out on that too... Anyway, I took an Ice pack, and put it where the pinching was felt in my low back... left it there for about 20 mins, and the pain started to feel better. I then put some Icy Hot on my leg from butt to knee, and was able to fall asleep finally.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. If anyone has anymore, please keep posting them... I know I am willing to try anything in that situation!
  • over 12 years of back problems,
    Sleep with back against sofa and pillow between legs
    Also what really works (couple hrs at a time)is Methadone
    some doctors do not like to give and it dosen't really work for the pain (norco for pain) but 2 metodone at night helps me sleep. this has helped for 8 yrs now
  • What is trazadone? I've never heard of it before
  • Trazadone is actually a anti-depressant in larger doses.

Maybe also ask about lioderm patches and place on the buttock for 12 on and 12 off...

As others have said and I am sure you do is pillow between legs.

Methadone DOES HELP with pain...actually it was developed by the Germans in WW II because of a shortage of morphine on the battle fields...so it is actually a synthetic form of morphine....10mg a day will not do anything for pain issues but let me assure you once you get up to 40mg and up it does work..

My doctors over a period of some six years tried everything with me including a 3 week in patient hospital stay in a pain management program to include "tweking meds".....during all that time not ONE or any combination of meds helped other than very temporarily.

Dr was a wits end until I mentioned Methadone as I had heard from another patient and he said lets give it a try and in two days I could tell the difference...that has been a good two or more years ago...we have upped the dose twice to 80mg per day now but it maintains level five on the pain chart which is ok......better than going from five to seven to nine back to seven yada.......but I MUST keep the schedule to maintain the level five.

Hope some of this info helps some one?
  • When I am in a lot of pain and can't sleep. I take a Flexeril and lay on one of those huge blue ice pads for 40 minutes or so.
    Helps a lot!
    I am glad you finally got to sleep!
    Oh, I also second sleeping on our side, with a king size pillow between out legs. With the knees up, and rolled in a semi ball! Yummy relief!
  • Hi Amanda,

Your pain symptoms seem really similar to mine: I have pain in my buttock that runs down my leg, but I haven't gotten an official diagnosis. The only thing my PM said is that nerve issues are the cause of my pain. Have you gotten a diagnosis for your pain? It's really frustrating not having a diagnosis or over seven years. Thanks!

Allie :)
advertisement