Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks to a new me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm five weeks out from a microdiscectomy L4-5, and everything is going really well. I am completely pain-free, and only have some slight tingling in my left foot and calf as the nerve heals. I know it's early, but I am thrilled and feel the surgery is a success so far. I'm walking 1.5-2 hours a day, and have since day one, which seems to have helped. I even entered an 8Km running race as a walker last weekend. I started swimming and physio two weeks ago and stationary cycling one week ago, and plan to resume my triathlon training as soon as my neuro and physio say I can. Considering that two months ago, I was using a cane and a walker to get around, and even then couldn't walk more than 20 meters at a time, I think I'm doin' OK. In summary, I feel like I have my life back. I go back to my work as a psychotherapist in 2 weeks, which is a drag because I have enjoyed having the summer off for the first time in a long time! I hope this post can give others some hope. I know in my darkest days earlier this year, reading about positive surgical outcomes was helpful.

• :) Hi! what wonderful news to think you will soon be pain free! what joy that is going to be! check out the "Good News" section for some more positive outcomes. they are always looking for a success story. i know your recovery will continue on and only get better. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thank you so much for posting such great news!!!

It is a mixed bag when you are well enough to go back to work, but congrats on achieving it!
  • That is so great. WOW only 5 weeks and feeling good. Surgery is so much better now than in the past.
    I can't wait to be NORMAL so that when I have a REGULAR back pain I can tell people "this is nothing! just an ache compared to the pain I felt in the past" Once this fusion is fused, I am going to wrestle my daughter to the floor, pick up my grandson, twirl him around,jump on the bed, build a snow man in the winter, climb the sand banks at Puget Sound (I'm in Tacoma Washington) and write my name on the top of the hill in the sand, give my grandson horsey back rides, and so on and so on.......OH WHAT PLANS I HAVE!
  • Those sound like great plans--hold onto them. It's the only thing that kept me going during the crummy times this winter.