Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally feeling better!

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my surgery exactly 5 weeks ago yesterday and really feel like I have finally turned the corner to recovery! I went yesterday and got a new brace--I felt like the first one was just too big. They gave me a smaller one, and OH BOY did it feel good when she put the new one on me! Left there and went to the grocery store and walked and walked. I even cooked dinner for the family for the first time since about 2 weeks before the surgery.

I had just called the doc the day before in tears because I was in such pain and they were talking about doing another MRI to see what was going on. I guess it was a case of the darkest before dawn! Woke up this morning and the only pain I have is where they took the bone from my hip. I really feel like I'm beginning to get my life back. Praise the Good Lord.

So, look up my friends, better days are coming!

• I am so happy for you!!!

What kind of brace do you have? The clamshell thing or the black velcro thing.

I have the black velcro thing and I love it - besides being incredibly slimming ;) I feel secure and good in it. The only complaint is that, well, it's a little sweaty, but then it is almost 100 degrees here now.
  • Yeah, I've got the velcro thing too, but I wouldn't call mine "slimming." It's about 6" wide and really bulky. I saw someone at the dr.'s office who had one that looked like it was about 3" wide and it was slimming. Don't know why I have the wider one. But, oh boy, the support is wonderful! Know what you mean about the brace being sweaty--temp here is close to 100, too. I'm in VA and the weather and humidity is horrible.

Excuse my ignornance, but what is a BMP? Is your whole leg numb? I would imagine it makes walking very difficult, huh? Do they think the numbness will go away soon?

Hope you're having a good day. Take care!

• This is great news! Having the new brace will probably help also.

Take care.

Wishing you continuing success in your recovery.

• Joy,

BMP is the name of the bone growth hormone used to stimulate and quicken the fusion.

It might have been that stuff or I could have been hemorhaging - I lost a lot of blood after the first surgery (not during) and had to have a transfusions. When the dr. went back in he could not pinpoint any one culprit, but since he stopped the spreading numbness, he did get something fixed. He did remove the BMP from the canal and also cleaned out the spinal canal some more - so a truck could drive through it - in his words.

I am wobbly, but I am getting used to walking on a leg that I can't feel. It's the same feeling when your leg falls asleep, mine just doesn't wake up now.

I'm grateful I can still move it and use it.

Oh, my brace is probably 6 inches too, it just cinches me in so tight that I have a waist again! LOL!

Something weird - so I saw my incision for the first time today - and it's longer than my brace. ewwwww! I think it might be 7 ir 8 inches long.
  • I was fitted for a TLSO, a clam-shell type brace for L4-5 fision. I am wondering if others have this one and how high up it comes?
  • and I wish he did. My first surgery in '99 I had a foam and elastic brace - held me up and made me feel more secure. I still have it and have been thinking about using it some - especially on days when I don't feel secure about moving or when I know I am going to be up on my feet awhile.

Probably will wear it the first days of school to both remind me and my principal that I had major surgery and can't do some things I did last year. At least I'll wear it when they decide what to do about heart. Dang, I'm falling apart in more than place.