Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice on changing meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Pain Medications
Hello to everyone. I have not been to this new site since it has changed. It sure is different. I hope everyone has been doing okay.

I have a question about my pain meds. I currently go to pain mangement and take hydrocodone 10/650 4 times a day and flexerils as needed. The flexerils really leave me "hung over the next day" and the hydrocodone just does not always do the job. I work a full time job and have two children so taking anything really strong is just not an option. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could ask my doctor about changing my meds to. I usually have flareups about twice a week and the hydro's just don't cut it when this happens. I have been taking hydrocodone for about 2 years so I know that I have built up a tolerance but I just don't know what I could take that would allow me to function normally.

With the flexarils some people have suggested Zanaflex. Does this leave you that "hung over feeling"

Thanks for any advice.

• Hey Kristi-
    I have been taking Zanaflex for 6 months - it does not make me hungover. I hated Flexeril - it made me so tired. The Zanaflex works pretty good and you are able to function on it.
    Take Care-
  • Don't worry about taking anything stronger - if you need it, then you need it and your body will adjust. You have most certainly built up a tolerance. I am fully able to function on what I take - Oxycontin and Oxycodone IR. I work in a pharmacy and am very careful to not jeapordize others. I find I have worse cognitive abilities if I DON'T take my meds. When you are in pain, it fully consumes all your thoughts. When I first upped my meds, I did feel a little woozy at first but I quickly adjusted.

A natural step for you would be to move from hydrocodone to Oxycodone. It is just slightly stronger, but not much. You can either get it with the Tylenol in Percocet or just take oxycodone alone. You may also find that if you were to take an extended release formulation, you may not have "flares" anymore. It is important to control the pain at all times rather than to wait until it is really bad. It is difficult to get it under control when you do that.

Just tell your doctor that your meds aren't controlling your pain.
  • :) hi and welcome to the new forum! we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. thinking about a time released medication might be just what you need. there are none of the ups and downs associated with short term medications. as well your system will adjust and you won't even know you are on the mediction except for getting pain relief. you don't need to worry about flare ups either. good luck and i hope you are able to find the right meds for you! Jenny :)
  • I took the Hydrocodone and Soma for a long while before I needed surgery & like you had "flare-ups" my PCP gave me a RX for Percocet for just these times. I never took my meds before or during work though.

Some docs are uncomfortable with 2 different pain meds but your PM might try something like that since you noted anything stronger long term may not work for you right now. So if it's a matter of flare-ups maybe get something just for that.

I don't take Soma anymore and also take Zanaflex which honestly I'm on the fence about right now. The biggest thing about Zanaflex is it is short acting. I could never take Flexeril but it may be as simple as a muscle relaxer change that will help but talk to the doc with your suggestions and be open to his & I'm sure you guys will work something out to get you through...
    Good luck
  • kristi, I just changed my meds to add a long acting med, oxycontin 30 mg every 12 hours. with Hydro 7.5 as needed for breakthru. OMG what a difference the long acting med makes. Its wonderful and Im not getting hardly any BT pain, at least enough to warrant the hydro 4 times a day. It really gives coverage thru the day and night. I also took zanaflex and found it to have no side effects except for I got thirsty.
  • In the last 6-8 months, my PM Doc has had to do some fancy footwork and has gotten me to the point that I am completely pain free. I am now taking 120mg Avinza (3 per day) and if I need BT meds, I take the 15 mg oxy. Honestly, I think you would be better off with a jump up to a Long Acting med and a 5 mg oxy instead of the 10/650 hydro combo. It's much easier on the liver too.