Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Can an orthopedic mattress reduce the pain?

I was just wondering if an expensive orthopedic mattress would make a difference on someone with spinal stenosis and herniated discs?  Has anyone tried this yet?  I currently have a very uncomfortable pillow top mattress and it has a sag in it.  So I'm wondering if that's making the pain worse.  Thoughts?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 8,223
    edited 02/07/2017 - 4:42 AM
    There are articles on the site about choosing mattresses you can find them by using the search box, here is one of them..
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/sleep/considerations-when-buying-a-new-mattress

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,431
    MrNyle

I don't know that you need an expensive mattress, but certainly a mattress without a sag wouldn't hurt.

Bruce
    Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,214
    A better mattress, expensive or not, can help.  I have a temperpedic and it's worth every penny.  Was expensive but 10 plus years in it's as good as the day I bought it.  All bodies, back issues and sleeping position dominate require their own type of mattress.  Some of my friends have had good luck with online ones they ship to house and pick up from house if not satisfied, you essentially don't deal with shipping at all.  I've not tried them though
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • It depends on person to person. I use orthopedic mattress since I find it suitable for my back pain. But I've also heard many who slept on orthopedic mattresses had difficulty in sleeping. If you want to find out whether a firmer mattress would feel better than the one you're currently using, try putting a plywood board under your mattress to dampen the movement from the bedsprings, or try placing your mattress on the floor. 
  • Did you get a new mattress yet? I've got spinal arthritis and other pain issues and am also in need of a new mattress, but I know what kind I'm getting. I bought Sealey brand hybrid beds for my sons a few years ago and love them. Good support but soft. One son went away to college for the fall and I slept on his bed for a few months and It really helped. Guests have all loved it, too. So, I'll be getting a hybrid for me and my husband soon!
    For now, I'm using a memory foam topper on an old pillow top mattress. It's horrible!

The hybrids get good reviews. The biggest negatives are that sometimes the sides don't hold up because they are not supported by the coils and they are heavy and hard to move. I'm not sure about the longevity compared to other mattresses but I figure it can't be worse than the one we have now. 
  • advertisement
  • I have spent way too much money on beds and pillows but wanted to sleep more than 3 to 4 hrs a night. I bought a sleep number before they made the ones that the feet and head adjust up or down big mistake,  same with the temperpedic that both the head and feet adjust ( worst pain ever) my son has it now and hates it too hard. I bought a twin size sleep number they added the head and feet can change up or down and so far it is the best but still a lot of pain when I wake up. I really believe the best option is to get a bed and make sure you can return it after 30 or whatever days if it does not work.
    To me money does not say good mattress that is for sure wish I had been smarter.
    Good luck in finding one that works for you.
    Sherri
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,627
    After years of trying various mattresses.  Hard, Soft, Expensive, Inexpensive, water, no water, I finally arrived at the best solution.
    An adjustable bed!   That makes all the difference.  Its like being in the hospital.  You can raise your head up, or your feet up or both.
    We purchased a middle of the road mattress.   But its the feature of having an adjustable bed that has made all the difference.

As an extra benefit, my adjustable bed comes with a built in massage feature.  So, while I am comfi in the bed, I can turn on the massage unit to help reduce some of the stress.

Note:  Queen size adjustable beds, its one unit , so partners have to be up or down.   If you got a King, its two twins, so you can have yours up while your partners is down....

Great investment
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Lbar99, No I still can't afford a new one yet, but I did get one of those leg wedge pillows and that actually helped a lot.   

• Before my last surgery, I bought an adjustable Temper Pedic bed.  As Ron stated, and for me I agree, it helps tremendously!!!!  When my upper back and or upper next are fussing at me, I raise the "head" portion.  When I feel pain also in my thoracic and upper lumbar, I also raise the foot of my bed (just like a hospital bed does) so I'm almost in a zero gravity posture if you will, and it helps bunches on reducing pain levels.  Raising my legs too, helps keep the swelling (edema) from Lyrica in check!

The neat thing about most of the stores (in Florida for me) is you can test out many of The Temper products out on the floor.  They also have a payment plan vs buying it in one shot.  They deliver as part of the package deal on purchase, and if you wish, they will take away your other mattress and dispose of it for you.  When they came to my house, they put down a carpet runner so they wouldn't track dirt into my house, and they quickly and professionally removed my old mattress and installed my adjustable within the frame of my old bed.  I've had mine now going on 8 years, and I love it!!!!!

In my RV by the way.....I switched out the queen mattress that came with it, and put in a memory foam mattress.  I also have a 3 piece memory foam wedge accessory.  The big wedge (most times) is for my head and shoulders, and I alternate as needed the 2 smaller wedges for my feet or legs (draped over at the knee.  Not my adjustable Temper like at home, but for the most part it works for me on our road trips.

I hope you find something that will work for you.  Please let us know how the "hunt" goes.  :-)))))

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Ron has what I do explained it better but mine is a sleep number and wish they had those when I bought my first sleep number which did not have the adjustments. 
    I bought a twin sleep in a different bedroom due to my up and down all night habits and he likes TV. My room is my retreat with all my "blends" and quite time when needed. 
    Hope you find one but like I said try to get one you can try and return if it does not work for you.
    Sherri
advertisement