Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery and meds...

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I might need to post this in the medications thread, but maybe you all can tell me what you think first:

I am finding that at medication time each day, I am getting more and more reluctant to take the pills.

In the hospital I was almost begging for the next dose. At the two hour (one hour to go) mark, I was in pain, a lot of it and that last hour was hard to manage.

Now, I have been home since Tuesday (it's Friday now) and I I keep finding myself going an extra 15 to 30 minutes past my 'every 3 hour' medication time. Even when I finally take the dose, I feel fine and like I could wait longer.

I've been trying to be good and take it anyway, it's what the home nurse tells me I need to do - to stay on top of the pain. But today, well, I've not had any pain, even though I waited an extra 30 minutes.

I think I'll put a call into my Dr. and check on the dosage. I'm already taking a very minimal dose though. I am doing my walking. So far it seems that it's not pain that limits me but exhaustion and muscle fatigue.

I'll put the call in now, in the meantime - has anyone else experienced this?

• Hey Salty!

We must be on the same wavelength. Just yesterday I have grown very tired of medication. My body is starting to rebel also. I am getting pains in my stomach and not retaining food as long as I should.

When I was in the hospital I had one of those pumps and they were surprised at the lack of meds I took.

Yesterday I took 2 220mg of Naproxen and 1 Soma 325mg at about 11am. Burned a hole in my stomach.

I refused to take Norco yesterday and suffered with the little bit of pain that was present. I woke up this morning with zero pain and as soon as I got up and compressed my spine the pain went to 3 and then I drove my son to band camp just to increase the pain to 4. That is where it has stayed. I am lying in bed for the past hour to reduce the pain. I too need to call because my follow up is not til 27AUG08!
  • I had a microdischectomy to relieve pressure on the nerve in my left leg. Several friends had it and experienced almost immediate relief. I have had almost no pain from the surgery but the pain is still the same in my leg as before the surgery. Is there any hope? Will it ever get better? It has been one month since surgery.
  • Steel - it is funny how our bodies work, are you still lowering your dose, despite a level 4? I'm just achy, no sharp pain at all. If I was a 4 I might still be taking it ;)

Paul - I did call the Dr. office and they said as long as I am reducing not increasing I can do what I want. Cool.

Dixie - you poor thing. I feel for you. I have no idea on healing and times and discectomies vs. fusions - but I will wish you the very best of luck and suggest you too get in touch with your Dr.
  • If your prescription bottles say "as needed" that means you can back off whenever you feel ready. In medical lingo the term is PRN. Sue