Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bed or Couch??

brucie76bbrucie76 Posts: 115
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey y'all. Just wanted to get some opinions. I'm due to have my 2nd spinal fusion in 3 weeks. After my first surgery I spent a year sleeping on the couch. Yes, I got yelled at for doing that, but at that time my furniture was brand new and very supportive. Now (4 years later) my couch isn't so firm anymore. I'm contemplating moving my bed (queen size pillow top) downstairs for a few months. Whereas my bed is extremely comfy, it doesn't offer the back support my couch would. My bed is more firm though. What would you suggest? I would hate to not move my bed downstairs before surgery and have to have someone else bring it down (im very stubborn and independant too lol). Or move it down, and realize the couch is better. I need help (lol)!!!!
advertisement

Comments

• I don't have experience with back surgery, so I don't know what kind of support you're going to need. Would it be possible to place a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring? Or even try under your couch cushions... firm is what your looking for right? Just a thought

Good Luck
    Amanda
  • Actually my bed is firm enough, but there isn't anything there for me to lean back against, which is something the couch offers. I think maybe putting plywood under my couch cushions might make it too firm (my cushions aren't that thick anymore).
  • comfortable is what I would choose. Would it be too crowded to move your bed down just in case? That way you will have your choice of what feels better after surgery. just a thought.
    BTW Good luck with your surgery and please keep us posted.
  • It would be a bit crowded but i'm pretty sure I can fit it in.
  • brucie-I had to spend alot of time in bed after my back surgery so if you have a comfortable bed, then it would be OK to move it where you need it.

My couch was too soft and uneven to sleep and lay on. I set up my bedroom like a hospital room with trays, waste can, empty bucket, food and drink beside me, remote control, walker, elevated toilet, stuff to read, all my meds, clock radio, TV, loose clean clothes, clean towels and sheets and blankets and extra pillows, wound dressings/supplies, socks, anti-embolism socks, robe, a bell to ring for help, phone for 911 if needed, paper, pens, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, small container for dental care, kleenex and tp, flowers and you name it, I probably had it with me. :) jade
  • I don't really have a whole lot of extra room in my living room but I do think I should have enough room for my bed. I do plan to keep things close around me, drinks, my laptop, etc. I remember how I was after my first fusion, and I'm just hoping this one goes about the same. 18 days and counting.
  • brucie- I hope the surgery goes well and it is a great idea to get everything prepared ahead of time. jade
  • Brucie,
    What a great question, I have slept downstairs for 17 years on the couch and my time has come for a change, I am too long and contorted as a consequence, and a new bed is in the offing. In reality you recovery may be quickened by staying away from the stairs and this is always a balance between necessary mobilisation and functioning need. Your couch as mine has had its day and the hope is that a new bed will keep me in a better position. Sleep for me is recovery and as with everyone I need it, could you put it against the wall and I fully understand the back rest thing, someone with your skill could make something like an L shape that went under the mattress and was supported by your body weight and gave you some back rest as a consequence or have something made or look for a commercial product.

Sleep that’s the thing where you go to bed and rest, I looked it up in the dictionary we could all write a book on that.

Take care, and good luck with your upcoming surgery, I love a good plan.

John
  • I actually made myself a 6 foot body pillow awhile back, and am considering refilling it (its gotten quite squished from use) and using that as a back support on my bed, which is queen size so laying up against the wall wouldn't be an option, too much space to scoot over to get to the wall. I also have a regular bodypillow and 4 regular size pillows that I use on my bed now lol. I'm thinking if I can build up enough pillows around me on my bed (which I will be moving down to my living room this week) I should be ok. If not, my couch will be right here as well, so I can switch back and forth if need be. I plan on keeping my bed downstairs for about 2 months after my surgery, or until I can navigate the stairs without much problem.
  • a good plan, Brucie. I wish you luck with your surgery and please do keep us posted with your progress.
  • I spent a few days on my couch, just because it was easier to get and out of. Then after I was feeling a little more mobile I went to sleeping in my bed, and I got so much better slppe in my bed then I ever did on the couch. But you will just have to do what feels best and works for your situation as well. Good luck
  • I got my bed moved downstairs today and lo and behold I managed to find enough room for everything!! It isnt set up like I expected, but I got my bed in my living room with my couch and loveseat. Had to move the chair but managed to find room for it. Will keep everyone posted. 15 days to go.
  • In my experience a good quality bed and pillow is far superior to a couch.
    I have found that a couch may not be level, having a slight tilt towards the backrest. This means your body is put into tension trying to correct the slope.
    Then the armrest is a bad headrest-too hard, or high, wrong support.
    A couch is also a bit narrow, so turning over is a problem, especially if it slopes.
    BED BED BED.
  • a very valid point on that. I had a friend that used to lay on the couch and watch TV all the time. He ended up in the ER with a pinched nerve in his neck from putting his head on the armrest. Needless to say he does not lay on the couch anymore. Either way you can sleep in the bed and sit on the couch without doing the stairs.
  • Just having my bed downstairs is making it so much easier for me already. Not having to worry about doing the stairs (even though I can right now). Plus I have an ottoman with my furniture, should I decide to sit on the couch for awhile, I can prop my legs up. I still have alot I want to get done before I head for "vacation" lol....and tryin to keep myself busy so I don't get too stressed about it. Been getting stress headaches as of late though, knowing what is coming.
  • I have not read ALL the other suggestions as you seem to have many so this may have already been suggested.

When I had my fusion I had a similar challenge, so I RENTED a hospital bed...it was inexpensive, a week to week agreement and they brought it set it up and when I was done with it they came to took it back...no pun intended.

good luck....

after one fusion almost eight years ago I would never have another so I assume your first was successful...great hope you second goes as well...
  • Indy, actually after my first fusion I was in alot more pain than before. The dr never figured out why either. Xrays show that part of my back as being healed, at least the bones are. There weren't many options left for me for this second one, so surgery was the route I chose to go.
  • Talk with your insurance or home health care and see if they will rent a hospital bed for you.
    They will move it in the house for you and when your done they will come pick it up and move it out.
    No lifting on your part or impossing on friends and family!!
  • I'd rent a hospital bed and put it in my dining room or just push our queen bed over in our bedroom and make room for the hospital bed in there.

CHristina :)
advertisement