Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How expensive does it get?

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I think I am in for it - today I got my first back surgery bill.

Only the anesthesiologist - but it was 2,412.00! I was out for about 5 hours, and that is only the first surgery.

I'm afraid that my 9 days in the hospital with 2 surgeries is going to prove to have been one EXPENSIVE deal.

Not that you can put a price on your health by any means.

I know we had some discussion on this on the old site, but my interest has been renewed:

What has everyone else's surgeries been costing?

• I have the first insurance statement. Seems the hospital bill started out at $54K. Haven't heard from anyone else.
    I can tell that it is going to be much more expensive than my knee was.
  • Total "billed" charges well over 100K, but what my insurance paid and my responsibility were much, much less after contracted adjustments. My surgeon was VERY underpaid from what I saw in IMHO considering the liability of these procedures.
  • When I have my fusion done, I had two surgeons working on me, one on each side. Surgery was on a Thursday and I was released Sunday. My bill totaled right around 25 grand. Thankfully the ins covered everything.
  • So far my bills and EOBs total right at $84,000. My share as of today is $151.00 I have only spent about $30 for scripts. Praise God for good insurance.
  • My mom's surgery cost $68,000. She was in the hospital for 4 days, no rehab afterward. Medicare and supplemental insurance took care of it.
  • My MicroD cost about $18,000. I was considered outpatient. Now my PT sessions are costing $108 each time I go in. I agree insurance is wonderful. I had a hysterectomy a few months ago and that one was around $23,000 I paid $2500 out of pocket and that was my out of pocket max and I haven't had to pay anything since then.
  • I agree...Thank GOD for insurance! I am on disability so I have Medicare and a suppl. that will pay 100% of my cost. But...I waited years to get my surgery becasue I could not afford it. I could not even get a NS that I was refered to to even see me for the consult since I did not have insurance...I even offered to pay cash (400.00) and they still refused to give me an appt. Thank God....Thank God...Thank God for insurance!!!! What a blessing!
  • billed amount came out to about $100k for a 5.5 hr ACDF and two day hospital stay. working for a big company may not be sexy, but wow, does it have some advantages on the insurance front - my out of pocket max was $1700.
  • I only had a microdiscetomy double laminectomy on my l4/5 due to a severe herniation..

I got my insurance statements..

the hospital charged $28k
    My doctor charged $6k
    The anethesiologiest was 1.6k

(i was out for about 2 hours total and had only an overnite stay.. my doc keeps all his patients overnite at the minimum).

Had some other smaller bills below 1k i assume from other departments like radiology or whatever..

Thank GOD i had insurance.. was $250 out of pocket

when I had my son I had no insurance and with all the doc visits + delivery that was about 10k out of pocket heh.. 3k for epidural alone then...

If you make arrangements with hospitals before you go in, you shouldnt pay full price, like what we see on insurance statements..

Before the surgery i had two ESI which costed me $250 each and each doc visit was $50 copay for me.. and i went to him a lot..

• My Fusion was out patient. 4 hours in the hospital and the bill was $24,000. The surgeons bill was $35,000 but after insurance adjustments he only receives $3,000

My total out of pocket was $124. I am grateful that I have good insurance and I'm not saying that I want to pay more but the whole insurance thing is just strange. I have a $60,000 procedure and only pay that small amount? Don't know how overstated everything is though.

• My bills are coming in and due to this happening at work they are paying 100%. The interesting thing is that some of the bills are coming through as EOB's from insurance and others are coming is as an uninsured patient.

Here is the kicker. The bills that are uninsured are reduced a whopping 40%!!! Amazing! I spoke with the claims agent at my employer and he said any costs that are not covered under insurance that they go to the insurer to get the bill negotiated down. We are a Fortune 500 company.

All told at this point without discounts is at 96K.
  • fusion. Pricetag, 175k, titanium rods and screws? priceless. Absolutely,....priceless.image
  • Holy cow -

I'm very very grateful for my double coverage right about now.

Puzzling though - there is a HUGE difference in prices -even for like surgeries, is it where we all live??
  • 84 grand. that was without the hospital stay. (4 days)i never saw that bill that was just the surgery , drs etc.

screws and cages should be free darn it!! ;)

edit button LOL
    second surgery coming up hmmm removing all the hardware grafts etc and getting all new well i image it will be MUCH MORE!!!!!
  • I got a statement from my surgeons office today. If I didn't have Medicare and Ins it would have run $32,958.80 for the two drs. However, I am lucky and my part is $191.44.

Thank God I managed to put all this off until I got old.
  • Hospital bill is here:

So far I have the 2 anesthiologists bills and the hospital bill came today:

Anesth. 1 - 2,412.
    Anesth. 2 - 1,480.
    Hospital - 116,810.

The Dr.'s bill is not in there yet.

Did I already say 'YEEKS!!' :jawdrop:

Then, I made the mistake of adding my lost wages over the last almost 3 years and 6 surgeries. I'm surprised I still have a job after 3 FMLA leaves and having reduced my sick and vacation to zero in less than 3 years.
  • $48,824.50 for 5 days in the hospital. $20,000.00 for the Dr. This is for a five level fusion with hardware. I have not gotten my part as yet. I have Medicare and a supplement. I had home health for 9 weeks PT, nurse and for 4 weeks an aid. I have not seen that bill yet. I am just thankful that I have insurance.
  • So far mine has totaled over 100K. As other people have said thank Goodness for great insurnace. I have not had to pay a single cent because of military insurance.

• But they were CLEAN dressings...

That was all we paid out-of-pocket...the total for the whole PLIF ordeal was over $167K (2 NS, 4 hrs, 5 nights in hosp) & I still have follow-up appts, more x-rays &MRI's to come...

I agree: thank the Lord for insurance. And for the technology to allow our health care professionals to "put us back together" to lead producitve lives again...

WOW Lynnsy! What a gorgeous x-ray! You take CARE! Don't wanna disturb that beautiful handiwork! :)

• Also, any others who have had priors and/or other treatments (like injections, etc...I had 9 injections, each one about 2 K each) will want to total that into the "final" cost as well...and counting...

My 2 priors were about 48 K each...so my total is well over 200 K so far....

To think this is in an area no one can "see"--imagine if I'd had work on my FACE or "other areas"... :) I can always pull up my shirt & show off my back (ta-da!) but one is not inclined to do that very often...

But again, as Linnsy says "Priceless". Truly.

• 4 1/2 Hrs or 32,945 I have no more Harleys to sell .maybe I can deliever mail while I doing my rehab walking . To be honest I remorgage the ranch for what this guy did for me . Still no pain !!!!
  • hee hee =)) Clean dressings!!!

I have to agree Sea too - no pain is priceless!

I can see the commercial now:

2 years of physical therapy to avoid fusion: 10,000 (my PT bill)
    Various pre-surgical injections: 2,000 each
    Last hope - Spinal Fusion Surgery: 116,000
    No pain: PRICELESS!

• My micro costed $25000. Thats not all of it either. My PT was almost $200 dollars a visit and I had 12. Not counting the 3 epidural which are 1500 a piece. Thats just 1.5 hr surgery. Going in the hospital at 6am and leaving at 5pm that day. I probably would have ended up staying all night but they didn't have a room for me and I was not staying in post-op all night with nothing to drink, eat, or even getting to see my family.
  • what my surgeries cost. All I know is that the bills are still flying in with thousands on them. All we had to pay was $250.00 Yay for insurance.

Christina :)