Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question...pain long after fusion

shar51sshar51 Posts: 241
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
So my sugery was Feb 07 and since May of this year have been having the left shoulder and arm pain. I am fused C4-C7....I had a corpectomy. I take it there is no disc there anymore so what can be going on that is causing this pain? It is the same pain that I had prior to any surgery only this time it is the left arm and not the right. Laying down has made it worst....I awake after about 2 hours and have to get up....also any sudden movement of that arm, if I am not thinking, like reaching for something are turning my arm a certain way. What in the world could be going on?? I went to the Ortho doctor and he did an xray of my shoulder and arm and everything looked good....he still put me on Mobic and have been taking it for 8 days now with no improvement....I also have doubled up on my Lyrica and can't tell any change. This has me a little shaky. I start PT this Monday for the shoulder....he wants to rule out tendinitis.....I know deep down it is my neck, any clue what??? Any idea would be appreciated, I need to be "armed" with info when I go Monday.

• Sharon , I wish that I had some snswers for you on this one but I do not. I am going through something very similar myself....so I can offer you support and friendship while you go through this. If ever I can help you or if you just want to talk or whatever then just let me know....please keep us posted as you can....hang in there sweetie.....Miki
  • Hi Sharon:

I couldn't say either what is causing your pain. My DO told me the other day she feels I should have a nerve block at C6 as a diagnostic to see if that takes away my left arm pain. I have not had surgery yet but she thinks the neuro surgeon is going to want to do C3 thru C7 Fusion.

I hope your doctors find out soon and get at the root of your pain. We are here to support you as we are going thru various Cervical Spine issues as well.

Ken GreyEagle
  • Went for my first PT this morning.....the pt girl is really good, she evaluated me and she does think I have a rotator cuff problem....also the nerve damage at C5C6 has a lot to do with my arm pain and thumb and index finger....the nerve is not sending the message to the muscles. I am going to do the 4 weeks of pt, mostly heat massages and stretches...she also mentioned a tens unit. At the end of the 4 weeks we will see what the ortho wants to do...probably an MRI or injections....who knows.

• Hello - I am also in pain after my surgery - done on 6/27. I don't sleep either - I just hurt constantly!!!
  • What year was your surgery? I know with the posterior cervical spine surgery the heal time is very long....or at least it was for me. It was about the year mark when surgery pain was finally gone....they cut through muscle and it takes a long time to heal.

• Sharon - my surgery was this year. I had anterior surgery. I just cant figure out why I am still hurting this much. Friday is my 6 week check up and I am supposed to go back to work on Monday. I am taking percocet and relaflex - both strong. I cant sleep and hurt all the time. Just so frustrated.
  • You are still early after surgery....I can't believe you are going back to work......

This discussion has been closed.