Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worrying about falling.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, since my surgery 12 weeks ago, the one thing that really has been bothering me is the fear of falling and possibly injuring myself. (It was falling that caused the original injury)
So I have been very careful when I go out walking and check the footpaths first, either go and walk in parks where there is a proper bike path which is flat and even or I go to the mall. When I go to the mall I even choose times when the kids are not around as they have a tendancy to not look before running into you. :O

So this morning what do I do.
Yep. I trip over the 1cm ledge from the living room into the kitchen and fall bang onto my knees! :jawdrop:

Thankfully I was only in shock with very sore knees (landed on ceramic tiles)but I dont seem to have done any damage to my back. I know the Dr said it would take a lot to do anything bad, so that was a relief.

Once I was able to get up, now that took quite a while just to work out how :? I iced my knees and put a heat pack on my back. Oh and another ice pack on my cheek as i landed with my face against the cupboard :D (bit like in a movie really.)
So- my biggest fear = falling. So what did I create = falling. And now I know I can survive it so I can stop worrying about it.

I'm a survivor and winner for sure!

• Hi Angelback -
    I have the exact same fear of falling as you do. Because of my severe lordosis/kyphosis, my weight is poorly distributed over my legs, making me off balance to start with. Then you throw in loss of reflexes and nerve damage on my right leg and I'm just a fall waiting to happen!
    I have a cane that I use on days that I notice I'm a little more wobbly or unsteady. This seems to help a lot with just my confidence in my walking, because I know I have a steady support to lean on that isn't going to unexpectedly give out.
    Have you considered seeing an OT? PT does great work with regaining the gross motor function, but sometimes OT's have fantastic ideas on how to tweak small things in what you're doing or the environment around you that can save you a fall or two!
    Also, be so careful when taking showers! The worst falls I've ever had were in the shower...My doctors told me that standing in the warm water actually causes your blood to sometimes pool in your legs, making you more susceptible to both dizziness and trouble lifting your legs high enough. Clearing the ledge on the tub is like an Olympic event for me! Just out of safety, if I'm having a bad day, I make sure that either my fiance is still at the house when I shower, or I call my mom and have her come over. I have a fear of falling and no one being home to help me. If you can't do that, make sure you have phones immediately available to you, so you can call for help if need be!
    Good luck with this - I really appreciate your fears...It's such a bad feeling of being scared of taking a tumble all the time. And I agree that it simply makes you tense up more and become even more likely to trip! :P
    With you in falls -
    Janiel :)
  • I fell and twisted my ankle completely backwards 18 years ago - and it still freaks me out!

There was a misty rain on the day I fell and I was wearing some slick bottomed boots.

It took 3 surgeries and a week in the hospital to fix that ankle.

Needless to say, I never buy slick bottomed shoes and I still get nervous on misty-rainy days.

Angel, I would not be surprised if your fear of falling never leaves.
  • And my daughter is a little fearful of me falling also. One reason she insisted that I get a cell phone and KEEP it with me. It rests on the commode while I take a bath and then is in a pocket or very close at hand otherwise.

Since I did fall a couple of times with my knee surgery she has a good idea that I will try it again.
  • Angelback, Thanks for posting your experience. I am almost 8 weeks post-op and I choose my steps carefully as well. It is good to know that you survived the fall without any serious damage to your back. Be careful and I hope your other bruises heal quickly. We will survive!!!
  • May I join the Fear of Falling Club? Like all of you that was my biggest fear after my surgery three months ago (how time flies when you have a good time!) I had my share of falls before the surgery, and interestingly the only thing that was hurt was my ego. But after surgery, it almost became paranoia. Like Malaw, I have been carrying my cell phone with me on my longer walks. So far so good.
    And what I remember from the previous forum where they had a long thread on the subject, although several people reported falling, nobody experienced any great damages.

My surgeon was probably right when he explained to my husband on the 6 -week post op visit when he noticed how frantic he was, that I am not that fragile al all.

We are not carrying those titaniums and other hardware for nothing!

• I have fallen twice since my surgery a coule weeks ago; onces from 1 foot with a twisting fall and once from 3 feet from getting out of a char and missing the slip backward...

Anyways, what I am told is that it near impossible to destroy what the surgeon did to me unless it is a car accident or a fall feet or more in which the lower spine takes the force of impact..

It sccared me, but I survived. Once again, talk to your doc if you are concerned.... and dont second guess a concern.

The best thing I was told is to try and roll out of a fall in order to dissipate the impact, kinda like judo.

Best Wishes....
  • I'm terrified that I'm gonna end up falling and reinjuring my back. I'm also scared that someones going to bang into me by accident and hurt it.

Talk about being over paranoid huh?

Christina :)
  • Oh I had to laugh at all your responses. :D I was so sure I was paranoid and unreasonable and silly.
    Now I know we all are. LMAO.
    No really it does seem such a real fear, I know that I sometimes take my cane with me - not to use but to stop the kids getting too close. They tend to respect the cane a bit and keep their distance.

As a teenager I had a 3" difference in my legs from a broken hip. I used to take 10 steps then fall, 10 steps then fall etc, etc. I got so used to it , that falling was no big deal. Then at 15 I had a hip replacement and 2 weeks later fell down a flight of stairs. My mum had a heart attack and I'm saying just help me up will you! :D

But a couple of years ago I had a revision of the hip replacement (after 30 years!) and the Dr was soo strict about being careful not to fall and not to do this or that etc that I really did become paranoid.

But at least I now know for myself that it takes a lot more to cause any damage. AND it is really nice to know I am not on my own but part of a big lovely club.

Janiel, I did have an OT come in here but as I rent they were limited in any changes that can be done. I also see the Physio who is teaching me to walk differently and straighter as I have limped for sooo long and a lot of my muscles have just forgotten that they exist. :?

Like many of you I carry my mobile phone with me - well I wear it around my neck but recently have not been doing so while I am in my unit only when I go out.
    I think I was just too tired and straight out of bed heading for the caffine fix! :D

Salty - your foot fall sounds horrendous! It gave me shivers.
    Srtayl- I will remember about the rolling bit, though I admit that this time I was on the ground before i knew what had hit me - or be more precise I had hit!

Blessings to you all and you may always have soft landings!