Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second opinion appreciated!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I had a horrible car accident in January this year. Below are my damages:

C1 with 1cm fracture, C2, C3, C5, C7 all with fractures.
C1 subluxation.
C3-4 with 3 mm spondylolisthesis, C5-6 with 1.5 mm spondylolisthesis, C6-7 with 3 mm spondylolisthesis.
C5 compressed 30%.
C3-4, C5-6, C6-7 disc herniation
C6-7 longitudinal ligaments ruptured.
C5-6 thecal sac measuring 8.9 mm in AP midline dimension.
No significant encroachment on spinal canal and no compression on the spinal cord which retains it’s normal limits.
Symptoms: headache, can’ t lift right arm, right shoulder numb, right hand index finger and mid finger numb.

I was put in Miami J collar with some physical therapy to my right shoulder. During follow-ups in April and May, my doctor said that I was healing well and definitely don’t need surgery. My headache is gone and I can lift my right arm.

But during June follow-ups, my doctor said that due to bone settlement, my spondylolisthesis have gone a little worse. My spinal cord is compressed a little. After I told him I developed a little knee weakness (knee give away about one time a day during walk). He is forcing surgery now.

My MRI report in June is about the same as in January as for in January. The cervical spinal cord demonstrates subtly altered signal characteristics at the c6-7 level with subtle element of increased signal intensity with increased t2 weighting.

My knee is doing better in July, hardly any give away. I want to wait for more symptoms (if they ever develop) to make my decision whether to have surgery now. I can live with my condition now. Only thing I can’t do is moving my head. I don’t have any pain or weakness.

Can I wait? Your input is deeply appreciated!


  • :SS is surgery the answer for a spinal cord compresion ?
  • ladotd,
    Wow, that sure sounds like a lot! I doubt you will receive a second opinion on here because we aren't doctors. If it were me I'd want a second opinion from a doctor, and maybe even a third, before I had this kind of surgery. From what I've read once you have nerve or spinal cord damage surgery is not guaranteed to reverse it and it may be too late. Maybe that's what your doctor is trying to avoid. Irreversable damage. Then again, who wants surgery if you're doing fine as you are? I wish you the best.
Sign In or Register to comment.