Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am still sleeping on the couch! I need new matress?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My op was june 25th, microd + double lam.. and since my operation i have been unable to sleep in my bed. At least when i do sleep/nap in my bed even for an hour or two i wake up and feel like i have gone back in time 3 weeks of my healing process.. I start walking crooked again cuz of the ache/pain of my back from being in my bed..

So since my op i have been sleeping on the couch, which is nice and soft.. my matress is firm, and now i am kicking myself because post-op i got rid of my soft matress cuz it made my leg/back hurt worse than the firm one did!!!!

I am perfectly fine in the morning if i sleep on the couch, but if i sleep in the bed im in aches and pains for at least half the day..

I am just so scared to spend a lot of money on a matress and have it not work.. I mean i cant spend an hour laying on a matress at the store right?

Are you guys post op all sleeping on very soft matresses? or how did you get back into the bed?

I miss sleeping next to my husband :///

• ment pre-op not post op..

got rid of my softer matress about 3 months b4 surgery cuz the firmer one was better for me at the time

PS u guys think i need a new matress or can i just get a memory foam topper? We had an eggcrate topper but that didnt help me.
  • I have a dormia-adjustable bed. I LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it!! I feel it was worth the $3,000. price tag. The true test will come after I get home from the hospital I guess. My surgery is on Tues.
  • JC, I had the same problem as you do when I came home from the hospital. My previously nice firm matress suddenly seemed too hard. We bought a 3'' Memory Foam, and boy, what a difference. At the beginning I also used a foam wedge under my back, but I no longer do (3-months post-op). That seemed to solve my problem. So if I were you, I would try the memory foam, get one with at least 3'' thickness. It is not squishy at all just feels real good. And this is the cheapest solution.

Good luck, hope to find a good sleeping solution,

• My mattress is to soft post op. After my surgery, I stayed with my sister. The spare bed I used was firm and I slept great.

Any suggestions on firming up a mattress? I can't afford buying a new one.

• Please do not try and get a new matress without the actually trying it out first -- and try it in all positions with pillow(s) betewwen your knees... etc. Also, on a personal note, I have foun that a firm matress is better for the back as it supports the spine properly and does not let it sag oor twist an improper way.

I purchased a "Dr's Choice" from Denver Matress and could not be happier. I have heard great things about the air bed "Select System" but I have never tried it myself.

Also, bear in-mind that a matress "could/may" be prescribed by your doctor as a "Durable Medical Device" -- ask him AND you insurance company.

YOUR mattress is one of the most important things to aid you in recivery and protect your back so please.... do not scimp on that item.

Best Wishes......
  • a 3 or 4 inch memory foam topper for your bed. You can get them priced fairly resonabley at walmart.

Hope you can get a comfy sleep soon,
    Christina :)
  • I purchased a foam topper for my fold out bed as I knew I would be using it post op. I hate being in my bedroom if I am not sleeping or ready to and I am not a lie on the couch person but I can fold out my couch to a bed.
    Used the foam topper on this to make it firm enough to support me if I had a rest during the day.
    Best thing I could have done! And it wasn't expensive.

Sounds like a plan.
    Oh and JC, there is no reason why you couldn't spend an hour or more trying out a new matress. I would even take a sheetto lie on as it is hard to turn over on a plain matress and you wouldn't at home.

I have recently seen a new bed out called a gel bed and I would love to try it. I used to have a waveless water bed and I know some people cringe at that but my back was the best it has ever been. I was totally supported and only got rid of it as i was moving home so often and it eventually died.

Good luck in getting off the couch.
    Blessings Sara
  • I have a 3" memory foam topper and I have been getting a lot better sleep at home then I was at the hospital.

The last few days at the hospital I felt that the bed was torturing me - way too hard. It was so nice to come home to some comfort.
  • jc:

I had a hospital bed when I came home from the hospital. I did find my regular bed uncomfortable when I switched. I used (and still use) the egg crate pad. It did take some getting used to. You might try a different pad (cushion) on top of the mattress. Maybe if you give it some time.

• i slept on the couch for about 3 weeks.
    we put 2 quilts under the cushions. my featherbed folded in half on top with a sheet and my pillows.
    then by the 4 th week i was ready to sleep in bed again.
    we also at that time went and bought a 4 inch mattres topper at walmart 3 inches of foam 1 inch of memory foam.
    i kept my potty chair, meds/water upstairs. remote for the tv and LOTS OF PILLOWS. i awoke no matter what.
    i know how hard it is not sleeping in your own bed.
    but i was ok downstairs as i was waking up every 2-3 hrs anyway and did not want to awake anyone else.
    i found the one night i did sleep a full night i could hardly move in the morning from laying in one position to long.

so give it some time you will get there!!
  • Thanks for the responses guys.

I have tried to convince my husband that the mem foam topper would probably work just fine for me, because of what y'all said about it, but he won't believe me. He wants to get a memory foam matress.

So I went to the matress store and layed on every matress they had in the store. Some I knew wouldn't work right away.. The memory foams were REALLY nice though.. and of course the one that felt the best had a HUGE pricetag :/
    I don't thikn i had ever considered paying so much for a matress in my LIFE.. But my husband put it this way, i spent maybe 1-2 hours in my car everyday compared to 6++ hours on my bed everyday. And we spent a lot more on the car than we will on this matress..

So I called my doc and getting a prescription written for a tempur-pedic rhapsody bed. That trully was the most comfortable model there and they had like 4 different memory foam brands to choose from and 5 tempur pedics randing in price from 1.5k-10k.. rhapsody was 3k.. gaaaaa.. but at least we got 0% financing for 2 years so if it works $140 a month isnt too much to pay to be able to get a good nites sleep.. My husband also is looking forward to it's delivery too as he always has backaches from our old matresss in the morning..

Now just to see how much the insurance will pay if anything on this 'medically' necessary matress heh.. I did buy it during the state tax free day so saved a few hundred that way at least as well heh..