Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Precious BamaPPrecious Bama Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I am having surgery August 11. Just would like to know what you all think about this. I have been on demerol since eary part of this year and it only last couple hours. I have no side affects from it - could doubling the dosage help with post op. What is the next drug after demerol for pain?

• Hi Brenda,

This is a good and very important question to bring up when you will see your surgeon the next time. He is the one who knows you (or at least has your record in front of him) so he can tell what is it that you will tolerate the best. It is important to discuss pain control prior to surgery because once you are at the hospital, the nurses will only give you what your doctor pre-authorizes. Tell him you do not want to suffer and would like to have adequate pain control. Most doctors are reasonable and are willing to help.

Good luck,

• You don't need to stress yourself out about the pain meds. Your surgeon will be taking care of that end. They're very good about it, and if something doesn't work, you tell them, and they'll change it until they find something that gets rid of your pain. They will NOT leave you in pain, as you will not heal if your concentrating only on your pain. I do have one suggestion though that really helps, because you're going to go through a lot of pain while trying to sleep. The pain wakes you up every couple of hours. Is ask for some kind of sleeping medication. I asked for Ambien, and don't know what I would have done without it, it helped tremendously!!! And it doesn't give you a "hangover" like some of them do.

Your Doc is going to take EXCELLENT care of you though....