Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new on here and I have some questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I guess I was to "sheltered" while growing up because I am ignorant when it comes to surgeries. I myself have never had to have a surgery until now that is. I am a 26 year old female and I have to have ACDF on C 4/5 and C 5/6 this coming friday and I am kinda scared. I am a single mother and I have a 8 month old baby with not much of a support system if y'all know what I mean. What I want to know is and please forgive me because I know this question is stupid, but I honestly don't know the answer. Why can't I lift anything over the weight of a half gallon milk? I mean I have to care for my baby. Why can't I vacuum? Why can't I stoop or bend? I'm so sorry for being this stupid everyone, but any info y'all can share will be sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone,

• Welcome to spine health. But I'm sorry you have an issue to bring you here.

My doc told me not more than one gallon, not half gallon. any time you are lifting something that heavy, it pulls on your neck muscles. Go try to pick up a full gallon of milk now, and you will see where it pulls.

I'm not sure what your doctor will say about not picking up your baby. You will most likely have hardware in place to hold things together, so maybe your doctor will allow you to pick him/her up. I do know that too much strain is not good for fusion, and those early weeks you have to be careful. Explain the situation to your doc and he may give you some recommendations.

As far as vaccuming, when you push and pull the vaccum, this again uses those shoulder/neck muscles, which will cause strain on your neck. Bending over forward just plain hurts. I'm not sure what the reasoning is why you can't, but it probably has to do with muscle strain as well.

I wish you the best with your surgery. Maybe you could hire a teenager to come in during the day and help for the first few days, or maybe someone from your church or community would volunteer to help you out.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • that i will have a plate in my neck and the fusion is being done with my own bone...i am gonna talk to my pastor tomorrow at church to see if he and his wife can take care of my baby for me for a few days and then my parents are coming to my house to help me....my doctor told me i can't pick up anything heavier than a half gallon of milk(including my baby).....i mean the lifting of things i guess i can understand the next strain, but if i lift anything heavier such as my baby can i undo what my surgeon is gonna do?
  • The lifting restrictions are in place for your protection. If you put too much strain on your neck, it could cause problems. You will have stitching inside that will have to heal, and by putting too much strain, it could pop those stitches. This is why some doctors put their patients in a cervical collar, for their protection. The hardware is strong and should hold things in place, but if you bend or lift too much, you could pop that plate and end up with more problems. Do you have other children who could place your 8 month old in your lap? Or is he/she crawling enough to try to climb in your lap?
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • :jawdrop: I am on this website forums because I am naturally inquisitive lol...no really, my husband just a procedure on tuesday morning called ANTERIOR CERVICAL DISECTOMY AND FUSION AT C5-6 AND C6-7 USING ALLOGRAFT BONE, INTERVERTEBRAL PROSTHETIC CAGE, ANTERIOR CERVICAL PLATING...WHOOOOO WHAT A MOUTH FULL HUH? :jawdrop:
    His Diagnosis was cervical radiculopathy and cervical spondylolsis w/o myelopathy.
    In laymens terms He has been cut open on the right side of his thoat then they removed the pretruding herniated disc and replaced it with bone graph and I believe the plates and screws are to hold everything in place.
    My question is how long will it be before he is able to participate into normal activities around the house or around me, just kidding. :? He seems completely unable to move his head up or to the right or the left. Does anyone know when the mobility problem will begin to disappear?
    Thank you,
    It has been a rough weak for both of us but I know he is in so much pain.
  • First off thanks for all of the advice, it is deeply appreciated!!! I woke up this morning to knocking on my front door, and low and behold my late husbands parents and my parents were standing there!!!! :jawdrop:. Both sets of parents got together and planned this surprise early trip to come and be with me and my baby during and after the surgery. I was so FLOORED when I opened that door. They were originally "not" going to be able to make it until a few days after my surgery, but just to surprise me and try to cheer me up both sets of parents had been working on this surprise since I told all of them about the surgery. So needless to say we have had a very good day considering our first stop on our day out was to the cemetary to place flowers on my husband and oldest sons graves. :( . After that we all had a GREAT day!!! I just wanna say thankyou to everyone that gave me advice.
  • That is fantastic news for you and your baby!!!! Oh by the way welcome to spine health!!! :)
  • did his doctor put a collar on him? mine doesn't require a collar but evryone else on this board seems to have to.. i'm kinda glad i don't but may ask for a soft collar anyone.

my doc siad the mobility will get better but ask the experts on here
This discussion has been closed.