Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OMG My Leg!

MelcorMMelcor Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My Leg is killing me! As most of you know I had l4-s1 fusion on 7/8. I have been suffering from an infection in one of the incisions since my two week check up. At that time my NS also told me that one of the screws was placed very close according to ct near one of the nerves. I feel like I am getting WORSE by the second!!! Lifting my head, turning my head, moving my leg, laying down. ANYTHING exaserbates my symtoms! I have an appt with my NS on wed 8/6 but I feel like I did two years ago when I had a herniated disc. I do not want to have surgery again but I cannot take this pain. NOTHING is touching it. I am on Fentanyl 75, I have Oxy 5-325 and Valium. I have tried ice- I have even tried this ultrasonic thing my mother brought over b/c I am desperate. An to boot that lump that I came home from the hospital with is still in my let too.

Sorry for the long post.

Here is my question though... Has anyone had to have a screw re positioned so close after a fusion? Is it a big surgery?

Freaking out a bit.

Oh and I forgot to mention- weakness in the leg and almost no reflexes either!

• I am so sorry to hear all this. You have been having such a hard time with your recovery. Hopefully if they do have to operate again, once they move the screw, your leg pain will vanish. Please keep me updated on what happens.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Hi Mel, sorry to hear about your pain levels! I have not heard of anyone here having a screw repositioned so soon after surgery but if it is indeed causing major problems then to this layman (me) it would make sense to reposition it as at 1 month post op it is clearly too early to remove your hardware (mine was removed for similar reasons at 7 months, which is already considered quite early).

I imagine that the surgery would be significant but obviously not as major as your full fusion surgery. I think that if you are going to have it a month or so after your fusion would be far better than having it 7 months or more after your fusion surgery like I had to.

All the very best for your appt on 8/6.

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• It's not so bad having a second surgery (NOT!!!)- although it is better than continuing the pain for sure. Not that I would wish it on anyone.

I will say that I am terribly grateful my second surgery was while I was still in the hospital, I do think it would be so much worse to go back in after being out for a few weeks.

Oh good luck!
  • The first 7 weeks after my surgery were the worst, the leg pain horrible the doc kept saying time! 6 months later legs are still a little weak but much better
  • Mel,

Can you get an emergency appt tomorrow?

Hanh in there ~X(

• Mel,

Can you get an emergency appt tomorrow?

Hanh in there ~X(