Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic Herniation Surgery

araineaaraine Posts: 151
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:21 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I was curious, who has had any thoracic herniation surgeries? I am asking because I heard that these are rare, that most herniations occur in the cervical and lumbar spine, only 8% occurs in the thoracic cavity. Thanks! What should I expect? Ect.
advertisement

Comments

• Araine-I have had my T4 to T10 disc surgery when I had my major back surgery. The part of the surgery to fuse T4 to T10 was done threw my right side of my chest. They did collapse a lung to get in there and after surgery I had a chest tube for awhile. Going threw the chest is very painfull, and I am sorry but the pain lasted for several months as in doing so they also have to seperate your ribs. I at the time was having a whole huge different surgery done also, so you may not have to have it done that way. Almost four weeks after my surgery I had gotton so swollen I could hardly lift my right arm up. One day some how I pulled the inside stiches out of my chest and the pain was so severve I ended up back in the hospital. I also was found at the time to have fluid around my lungs do to the fack that they pulled my chest tube out to early. It was so painfull I could hardly breath, I actulally called a ambulance the night it happened. A word of advice, if the doctor tells you to stay in the hospital a few weeks longer so you have time to heal do it! I did not I stayed ten days and wanted out as the nursing care was so bad. If the doctor tells you when you get home not to do anything don't do it. I may have not had so many problems if I had not been so stubborn. I had to use a walker for about four months after I had surgery(not just the disc surgery your having,you will have to read my post to see what I am talking about)I could get no one to vacum my house and it needed to be done. Instead I used the vacum cleaner as a walker and even for being in an extream amount of pain I vacumed when I was told not to. That night I was back in the hospital and that is when all hell broke loose. So please just do what the doctor tells you to after you have surgery.
    It is not rare for someone with kyphosis and or scoliosis to have disc herniations if they are in there thoracic spine. I have kyphosis in my whole thoracic spine. Are you going to have surgery? If so do you know when? If you have any questions please ask and I hope I didn't scare you.
  • how much have u discussed with your surgeon on this?

mine will not do it yet. that is 2 drs. 1 thoracic neuro and ortho.
    i have severe compression on the sac covering the disk and mild spinal cord compression. also the disk is herniated w/ calcification starting on it.
    they will not even touch me until i start having bladder and bowel issues.
    im totally not saying all drs will do this. but it is a very tough surgery.
    mine is at T1 so a very tuff spot. the rest of the thoracic area just has mild bulging.
    mine was bothering me for about 4 weeks, then boom it stopped. so it does happen where some ppl get breaks from some severe pain.
    like sally said they are not to rare.
    yes its hard sometimes to get a herniation there, but a car accident will certainly do it.
    the surgery itself is just not done on a daily basis like the cervical and lumbar.

wish i had more info for ya. but more will come along soon that have had this surgery, since this is the new site.
    the old one had more replies on it.

hang in there sweetie!!!!!!!!
    terri :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Hi araine

Here is a link in the Spine-Health.com Conditions area:
    http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/thoracic-disc-herniation-treatment
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com