Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pressure in back over fusion area

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Every once in awhile I get this strange feeling of pressure over the area where my fusion is and if I reach back and rub my fingers over it you can actually feel a raise in the skin like its swollen. There is no pain when this happens.
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if it comes when I've done too much walking etc during the day.

Christina :)

• I have the exact same issue, albeit not expected. I am told it is just muscle swelling and scar tissue around the incision site.

When they fused your lumbar, they installed hardware that is a bit more thick than your original spinal bone.

From my statement above, and what I heard from my doc on Thursday, it is attributed to us early fusion recovery patients asdoing too much.... relax a bit and it should subside; at least it has for me recently.

Best Wishes.....
  • I figured I might be doing too much.

Christina :)
  • If so, your surgeon may have performed an autogenous fat graft during your fusion:

I had such a lump under my incision after my fusion. My surgeon never told me anything about it until I asked him what the heck was causing it (naturally I was worried) so he casually said that he performed a fat graft. Some surgeons will perform a fat graft as it is considered that it will reduce the risks of excessive epidural scar tissue, epidural fibrosis, thus reducing the chance of later problems due to these conditions.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• what you are talking about Christine. At 3 weeks post-op I find that after being up for a bit or after my walks the area to each side of my incision fills taunt, it reminds me of a gentle muscle spasm but it lasts for a while. I can really feel it right after I remove my brace. If I lay down for a while it goes down or away. I chalked it up to the healing of the major muscle the doc. cut through and everything is a-ok.
  • Interesting. I wondered if you are feeling your instrumentation, but that fat graft and a swollen over used muscle - well, any of them sound feasable.

No pain though? That's good.

I haven't been able to touch my incision yet -insert a major shiver here- but I often feel like I am laying on a lumbar pillow. Nurse said it was just my bandages. Don't know if I believe that though.