Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking shoes that don't hurt

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,465
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Does anyone know of some really good walking shoes that work for someone with a burning foot with aching toes. I just bought some Nike walking shoes and they felt really comfortable until I walk in them. Just my left foot burns after wearing them and my toes feel sore.

If I just wear my sandals my foot doesn't hurt near as bad. The sandals I have been wearing are very cushioning in the sole and since there is nothing pushing on my toes they don't get sore. Really they are like walking on air but I need good walking shoes for PT and to go to the gym.
advertisement

Comments

• I found a great pair of walking shoes. They are made by Brooks, style #S-257. I found them at a place called The Foot Store. From day one, they were comfortable...I didn't have to break them in AT ALL. They have lots of cushioning and support. They were perfect for my 2 mile walks that were required after my back surgery. Hope this helps!
  • Well I found some Brooks shoes today. They didn't have the style you mention but I got Adrenaline GTS 7 and they seem good. They have mesh on the toe area which works nice and doesn't cut into my toes. The Nike ones I have the entire shoe is leather and at the toe it folds and crunches my toes and make my toes hurt. Which in turn makes my entire foot burn. I'll be returning the Nike ones tomorrow. Thanks for the info. These Brooks ones seem nice I didn't get any sharp pains when I was walking in my foot.
  • about the whole burning foot thing...i wear new balance 491 for walking. i pu tin the dr. scholls orthodics for back pain relief, omg, what a difference with them in there, makes the step more cushiony. love them! i always hated walking on the treadmil cause of my feet burning in sneakers, but i have to tell you with these new sneaks and with the inserts, i did the treadmil twice already this week with no burning, no foot problems at all! good luck to you!
  • Thanks I was thinking about trying those with seeing the commercials on TV for them. Good to know they really do work. I'll have to get some.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,734
    I have had great luck with New Balance 805's. It was the only sneaker that provided the support I needed and remained comfortable
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For walking they are about the best sneaker I have ever used. Great support and cushion. No problem walking miles on concrete or through trails.

These are not running shoes. Don't even attempt it. Great for everyday wear too. They are ugly though...
  • Yeah I won't be trying running again ever with my back problems unless a dog is chasing me..lol. I'm also not worried about the way the shoes look. I'll have to research where to find those shoes and try them out. The Brooks ones I have been using are pretty comfortable but I am feeling jaring in my body still when I walk. I just recently stopped walking outside in the heat and have been doing the treadmill at home for the last two weeks. It finally is really cool here so I have walked outside for the last couple days and I am really feeling the jaring on my body even my hip is hurting and I haven't had hip pain for months.
  • The 926 and their high end stuff is usually not in the department stores. You will need to go to the New Balance store. They almost look like hospital or restaurant shoes. At least the black ones do. I also got ones in a grey suede and they look a lot better.

As far as support. I can walk a few miles on concrete and no issues at all. No back, hip, knee, or leg pain. I wear them all day and walk twice a day in them. No problems.

The design enforces walking by rolling off your heel correctly. The center portion and shank don't flex like a running shoe. Hence why running in them is bad.

I also have some NB cross country trainers which I have been told are bad for people with back problems. I've done a little bit of jugging in them without a lot of pain. Not supposed to run so I keep it to a minimum.

Here is a link to the shoes on the NB website.

http://www.newbalance.com/fitness/walking/MW926/
  • I don't think those look bad at all. They really do look like they roll well. I found a womens one that looks fine.
    http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceWW926WT.htm

I can see not wanting to wear them on a night out on the town...like I ever do that..lol. They look fine to wear with exercise clothes. You should see my sandals they are ugly but I love them anyway so comfy.

• They do look fine Michelle. The womens version looks to have the toe come tighter like running shoes do. The mens 926 the toe is more rounded. Very comfortable shoe. The black color probably makes them look worse. There is no way I would get the white ones. They would be stained up in no time. Mine are almost a year old now and you can feel them compress more than they used to and the comfort on the heel striking is not as good. So if you walk a lot you will need to get rid of them after a year. I just use them as beater shoes for working in the garage after a while.

I think some people get sneakers and wear them for like 5 years. Then they wonder why they don't cushion right. They all wear out in the cushion and support long before the outside looks trashed.
  • Someone on here posted about MBT shoes and prior to surgery i bought some. They are designed by physios and the aim is that they cause your foot to roll properly when you walk and also help to activate some of your core muscles.

They are expensive.

They didnt fix my herniation lol, but I love them. I definitely notice the difference when i wear normal sneakers instead.

• NB 926 are the most comfortable best walking shoe I have ever found. And I heard about them on here, so thanks you guys. I bught mine in April at nordstrom dot com. They are great! Love love love them.
    Z06 said:
    For walking they are about the best sneaker I have ever used. Great support and cushion. No problem walking miles on concrete or through trails.

These are not running shoes. Don't even attempt it. Great for everyday wear too. They are ugly though...
  • Years ago, a foot doc told me New Balance is the only shoe that is formed correctly - if you look at their soles, they aren't straight, they curve a little, just like a human foot. I have only worn them ever since with great success!
    Rosa
  • Just thought I'd mention that I have just been using the Brooks shoes. They have been working fine. I like that there is mesh in the toe area so they don't hurt my toes. I don't really have foot pain much anymore though so I can wear most of my other shoes if I want now too, not for exercise though but if I am out and about I don't get foot pain anymore.

I was out shopping for two hours the other day, in and out of stores and never got any twinges of pain so all is going well.
  • I swear by new balances. I don't buy anything less than 700's. The higher the number the better the quality. I find some good deals at DSW, famous footwear and finish line. I also get coupons in the mail from finish line all the time. You have to sign up for their mailing and it's worth it. I have 2 kids so I go through sneakers like crazy. In one school year my daughter went from a size 4 sneaker to a size 9 1/2 and I am not kidding so if I didn't get the discounts from finish line she would've been wear shoes boxes lol. She has little to no arches as I do so I buy good sneakers for her. My 6yr old son can wear payless shoes for all he cares. As long as they have spiderman or the most current super hero he is happy. He's in a Tony Hawk faze now so hopefully he grows out of that because anything tony hawk is expensive, even the socks. Good luck with your shoe quest. I find Nike's and addidas to be too narrow at the toe and they don't have enough support so my feet hurt after walking a mile or so.
  • I love Sketchers. Since heels are out of the questions, these are great because they're a combination of shoe and sneaker and very stylish. They look like flats but have sneaker soles. I have several for different occasions because it's all that I tolerate because of nerve pain in my feet. They range from $49.99-$60.00.
  • I also bought Sketchers slip on runners with fake laces. On sale for boxing sale week. I've tried Nike, New balance and Reebok Princess shoes. They were all good but I just bought Sketchers, I also bought some Crocs which are wide and have like acupuncture spikes in them. Very comfortable but not for outdoor walking in the winter. I still can't walk anyway. But I hope to one day. :S
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hope you get to walk better one day too, Charry.
    I admit I have a Sketcher shoe fetish :D I'm so not into regular sneakers.
  • rior to surgery I bought a pair of zcoil shoes. You can only buy them at their own stores. They form the insoles to your feet and have a large spring in the heel. They really help take the hardness off your heel. I havnt used them during reovery yet, due to hard time getting them on, But I will go back to them after I recover and keep walkingl. They have a web site. Just type in zcoil.
  • I'm wearing Brooks Vapour 8 sneakers and love them-light, comfortable and no sore spots. I went to a sports shoe store where they measured my feet and made a recommendation for the Brooks, which I'd never heard of.
    I use prosthetics too.
    I was wearing New Balance for a few years but found them OK but still had sore feet.I tried Asics but they rubbed on my heal and also wore out that area rapidly.
    I will stay with Brooks now-these are the best ever.
  • Before I use Brooks Vapour 8 sneakers, my old shoes always give me sore feet.But when I started using it, I feel very comfortable,it is very light and no more sore feet! :)

URL removed. Solicitation is against forum standards. Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • I LOVE MY Skeechers shape ups. I had knee surgery many years back and have trouble with arthritis still. These shoes allow me to walk with NO discomfort or fatigue in my knees. They make you correct your posture which is great for all of us spine folk. My mom needed shoes and I told her to try them on and don't look at them. She loved them too. She said they are the most comfortable shoe she has tried. She then told a few friends who now are loving theirs too. Look for sales as the price is a bit high. But for a great pair of shoes you will not regret try them on. they have mens and ladies styles. No I don't work for them.hahhaha :D :-D :grin:" alt=":grin:" height="20" />
  • I bought a pair earlier this year. It helps with my drop foot when I do my afternoon walks. They're a little heavy for my taste, but beggars can't be choosy.

Dave
  • is so much better than shoes. The more support your shoes provide, the more your foot comes to rely on that support. Most foot problems come from wearing shoes all the time. Personally, I'm barefoot whenever possible, at home as well as when I go out. At first it is difficult because you have thrown away your crutches, but give it a few weeks and you'll find your feet re-strengthened, and you'll love being barefoot instead of being cooped up in shoes all day.

Okay, flame away! Lol.
  • the.true.samiam said:
    is so much better than shoes. The more support your shoes provide, the more your foot comes to rely on that support. Most foot problems come from wearing shoes all the time. Personally, I'm barefoot whenever possible, at home as well as when I go out. At first it is difficult because you have thrown away your crutches, but give it a few weeks and you'll find your feet re-strengthened, and you'll love being barefoot instead of being cooped up in shoes all day.

Okay, flame away! Lol.
    No I agree with you, I try to walk barefoot as much as possible, but my father has to wear house slippers at all times around the house.

There seemed to be a lot of votes for New Balance walking shoes, that might be the direction I take him since he really would prefer to stay away from orthopedic, which I find understandable.
advertisement