Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had their nerves burned?

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Need some feedback on this. I have posted before and no response. I am to have this done on Fri. L3,4,5 Have to know how you felt after this and have you ever had all three done at once and why 3 and not one at a time?

• My husband had his nerves burned about 10 times in the 16 months or so before he ended up having a discectomy.

They worked, but only for short periods of time.

He was avoiding surgery to the point that now he has permenant nerve damage and ended up having emergency surgery.

Now, my friend on the other hand, had back surgery, instrumentation and continued to have major pain until she had a radio frequency/nerve burn thing done. Same Dr. as my husband. Her pain disappeared for a year and now she just does it yearly to keep pain free and only has to use nightly Lortabs to stay mobile.

My husband is, despite the continued numb toes, totally drug free and down to a highschool weight and is incredibly active.

Conclusion: it works for some, but not for all.

Good Luck, I hope it works for you.
  • yes, 5 sites done at once. One week the Right side C3,C4,C5,C6 and C7. Then the next week Left side C3,C4,C5,C6 and C7. My left side feels pretty good. The right side I'm having a chronic tight achey feeling in this area and down my shoulder. I'm still taking a lot of ibruprofen and applying ice at night to get some relief.

The doc. says it should subside in a few weeks. I understand it is normal to have this since the nerves have been damaged/burned and must heal and this may take some time.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this? and how long it actually takes before I feel relief for some time.

• I get this done yearly. The last time I had 5 levels done. everyone is different but after the five level I was in a great deal of pain for a couple of weeks. It is always so worth the pain during the procedure and the recovery time because if it works for you it can last for a year or longer before the nerves regenerate. just do not expect immediate pain relief becaus the nerves do not die right away and they are usually pretty angry while they are dying. So hang in there and I hope you get the great results that I usually do. Please keep us posted with your progress and good luck.
  • follow up of my progress --- RF done now well over 3 weeks ago --C3-C7 right and left sides--.. .. I have muscle spasms in my neck area. The doc. prescribed mobic and zanflex a couple weeks ago. Both drugs do help alot. I take the mobic daily w/ the zanflex maybe 1-2 times / week. Tomorrow I go back. Not sure if the doc. will give me a muscle numbing injection as he had intended to do since these drugs do seem to help me out quite a bit. -- can't go w/out them tho. . that's for sure.

I had really hoped I would not have to take anything and be pain free as a result of the cauterizations.

• I hope I never have to have any nerves burned. I'd actually prefer nothing on or in my body be burned.

Zanaflex is a great drug. You can take it a lot, for as long as you need to. It's a different chemical make up than most muscle relaxers, I've been told. My Neurosurgeon doesn't prescribe it for me, she gives me Flexeril.... But I had seen an Ortho years ago and had been on Zanaflex for a couple years... Worked pretty good...
  • I had it done in my lumbar facet joints. first time in 2006 after many other treatments (pt, steroids, PM did nerve block..that worked for short time. he said the RF would work if the nerve blocks worked for short period of time. they did after a couple months of recuperating. it takes time for the nerves to die off. Lasted for nearly one year totally pain free. I did the right side before my cervical surgery and still need to do the left.
    the way i look at: no steroids, no meds, just heat. it is a simple procedure as well. You just need to be patient to wait for the results. If it works..the way I look at, it is much less invasive than surgery. good luck in making your decision and finding relief.
  • That sounds terribly painful...ouch!

Best WIshes,
    CHristina :)
  • I had mine burned July '07. trying to avoid another surgery. sorry to say once I wasn't sore from the procedure (2 weeks), the relief lasted about 2 weeks. I hope you have much better luck with yours. they said it could've brought relief for 2 years. so maybe you will have better success with it.
  • :)
    I'm doing great ... essentially no pain!!!!
    I did have the numbing injections...(can't remember the name) This calmed the muscle spasms and am feeling on a scale of 0 - 10 my pain some days is null others maybe a 1. I do control it w/ ibruprofen if need be. I know now that Patience is a MUST when it comes to this process. Thank you everyone for your comments and support!!! ;)
  • Yes, I had all 5 lumbar levels done in Jan this year. But they did 5 one side and then came back a week or so later for the other side to be done. The process is OK. If you've had FJ injections, it's a similar experience but just a bit more uncomfortable and takes longer. Didn't help me at all and ended up having hybrid multi-level surgery in April. I am still having pain, supposedly from the facet joints which was a bit of a mystery as I had the nerves burnt. It seems it is only 60% successful so I must have been unlucky. I had more FJ, SI and TP injections 12 days ago and the pain is easing a little so looks like I still have some nerves working?? Foot pain has gone completely which is a great relief.
  • I was scheduled to have this done and I have the first part of the two I also I have five discs in the lower lumbar mine failed provide any relief so Dr cancelled my second procedure because I'm not a candidate for this apparently it's weird because as he poke each nerve they were the nerves that give me a lot of pain but I got no relief from the procedure does anyone know what the typical protocol would be as a next step if the nerve burning doesn't work I have avoided surgery for years and I'm to the point I don't care what they do because I can't hardly do anything I'm a professional photographer and it's a struggle to get through my day I can't hardly do dishes hang my Christmas lights sweep mop clean my tub in a typical day stuff I also have 3 epidurals and they only lasted a month they felt wonderful I wish that they stayed that way my doctor said its my choice I don't know what he meant by that considering he's the doctor and I'm the patient clueless he is a well spoken decision for chronic pain and surgery I'm just curious what options are left
  • SpinSpinSugarSSpinSpinSugar Posts: 15
    edited 11/27/2015 - 7:00 PM
    First one (3 levels s1-l4) worked 16 months. 3 months ago had second burn. Can't move without these guys fried. I lied after blocks , no help, but the burns worked great
    I design your spine
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Tina L., I know that no one really wants to have surgery, but sometimes it's necessary, and sometimes works. I had herniated lumbar discs in L5 S1 for 2 years. I had emergency back surgery April 2005, as I developed Cauda Equina Syndrome. I had so much nerve damage that I lost feeling from the top of my rear end all the way down the backs of my legs and the sides of my feet. I also lost bladder and bowel function. In order to prevent possible paralysis, I had to get surgery. My pain was mostly on the right side of my body, and the disc fragments that were removed were from the left side of the disc. The surgery completely took away the pain on my right side! But I still had/ have pain on the left side. I'm currently trying to get another back surgery to hopefully fix the pain. I have not tried to have the nerves burned, in fact, I just recently learned about it. Because I already have so much nerve damage, I don't even want to consider getting them burned. I have gotten injections, which did not work. I received Spinal Decompression Therapy several years ago when I was so bad that I was bed ridden for 2 months. It helped immensely, but it is very expensive, and at the time, insurance didn't pay for it. IDK if insurance pays for it now or not. I can't/ won't give you medical advice, I can just say that surgery worked for me, so much so that I am hoping to have a second surgery to hopefully fix the left side. I hope you find something that works for you! Good luck! :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.