Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questionable results on MRI after spinal fusion please read

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I had spinal fusion of L5/S1 in April this year. At first I thought everything was good but at about 2 weeks post op my pain came back with a vengence. I am getting weaker by the day and already fell once and just this morning I fell while trying to get out of bed.I am very scared and I need answers but I am not getting them. I have been comunicating with the orthopedic surgeon but all he does is takes x-rays and says everything is ok. I also go to pain management and recently got a new one because the guy I was seeing was a jerk. Anyway the new pain doc ordered an MRI right away. I kind of question whether it was too soon and MRI results arent as good because of the hardware interferance but this is what the results said and I am a little concerned.

There is a slight forward subluxation of L5 on S1.There is disc desiccation with bulging at this level. There is mild feraminol narrowing at L5-S1 left greater than right(explains my left leg pain). Mild enhancement of the posterior subcutaneous scar tissue in back of the lower spine in the subcutaneous fat. I also want to say that before my surgery I needed a discogram to show that I had a grade 5 anular tear at L5. Nothing ever really showed on the MRI's.

So here is the thing, I tried to call the surgeon and left several messages explaining this and I wanted the dr to call me back. After 2 days his PA calls me back(I never talk to the dr btw). I was not home and missed the call. So I then called my primary and got a referral over the phone for a neurosurgeon for a second opinion. I understand alot of the MRI but I am not sure what the options are. Does anyone have anything they can tell me? Has this happened to you? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated

• You know, I was wondering why they ordered a CT/Myelogram instead of an MRI when I went thru similar problems. The pain and spasms were out of this world. Maybe the resiliency is better and they can see around the hardware, than with the MRI.
    I don't know the details of mine; I'd sure like to know because I went thru a lot of discovery of things I wasn't told about last year. When I read my post surgical MRI from my microdiscectomy last year, it explained a lot why I felt so poorly. And no one told me a thing; just 2 more post surgical ESI's, and then shipped off the pain mgt.
    Well, I had TLIF to fix all those things I didn't know about. My neuro said my ortho did what was appropriate for me at the time. I would have like to know more; I thought I was a failure.
    Just keep in mind the back surgery is long, ardous, recovery, and you have to dedicate yourself to do what you can. Take Care