Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion patients... a question about vitamins

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I plan to ask my NS at my appointment this week but was curious if I should be taking a good muli-vitamin. I bought a bottle of prenatal vitamins before surgery due to my anemia, after donating my 2 units of blood for my surgery. I ended up needing the blood during surgery. I still feel so run down, it's hard to know if that is a result of the whole surgery process or the anemia or a combo, most likely the later. Being only 3 weeks out of surgery I'm already getting impatient. I know this is a long process but I just want to feel better.

ok enough complaining, I'm off for my walk.

Kelly Jo

• I would definitely recommend a good vitamin B complex. Vit B reduces stress and the feeling of being run down. Vit B is also thought to aid nerve regeneration if you have nerve damage.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I'm sure they couldn't hurt. I was given a multi-vitamin while I was in the hospital.

For what it's worth, my biggest issue (besides nausea) is fatigue, I'm just so wiped out. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat.
  • Absolutely take vitamins!!! I take a multi-vitamin, Caltrate +D, (cause calcium supplements don't absorb without D) plus I take another vitamin D along with that. Calcium is absolutely really good for your bones. Drink lots of milk, eat yogurts, cottage cheese, cheese...you get the idea. I also take 2000mg of fish oil tablets with Omega 3 everyday. It really helps with the constipation thing, better than anything I've found!!! I go everyday, (I know TMI. :) ) But the over the counter laxatives give me belly aches, and cramps. But the fish oil is not only good for your blood circulation, it's really good for your brain and vascular system.Americans don't eat nearly enough fish, it's so good for us. But yes, take vitamins!!!

I found after my three level fusion I didn't want to eat for about 6 weeks. (I think it was due to the extreme pain and opiates) So my hubby bought me some of those Ensure drinks, and gave me a lot of vitamins.