Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

It's official

hcarroll04hcarroll04 Posts: 23
edited 03/20/2017 - 2:11 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my Dr. today and we're going to go ahead with a single level fusion at L5/S1 and he's going to remove my left facet joint at that level. My disc looks like a pancake and has bone spurs. My left facet joint is like twice (if not more) the size of the right one and is also giving me problems. Now I just have to wait for them to obtain insurance approval so we can get the ball rolling. I hope this isn't going to take too long because I am ready!
Holly
L5/S1 DDD/Herniation/Hypertrophic facet joint
Been in pain since 2000
Injections 
PT
Pain management/Medicine 
IDET
Upcoming TLIF 04/20/17
advertisement

Comments

• Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) surgery. A TLIF is essentially like an extended PLIF, as it also involves expanding the disc space by removing one entire facet joint (whereas a PLIF usually involves gaining access to the disc space by removing a portion of the facet joints on each side of the spine).

Sounds like this is what I'm going to have!

Holly
    Been in pain since 2000
    Injections 
    PT
    Pain management/Medicine 
    IDET
    Upcoming TLIF 04/20/17
  • Good luck hcarroll04 and thanks for confirming the difference.

I have been told I would have a double level fusion L4 -S1 and that would be either PLIF or TLIF but they would decide once they could see inside.  My MRIs are quite clear but they can be misleading sometimes, so I think they are keeping their options open :-)

AJ
    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015

• advertisement
  • hcarroll04   One hurdle jumped. Good for you!! Hope it is soon.
  • Thank you!
    Holly
    Been in pain since 2000
    Injections 
    PT
    Pain management/Medicine 
    IDET
    Upcoming TLIF 04/20/17
advertisement