Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does this sound like myelopathy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have fibromyalgia which automatically makes a lot of people dismiss pain. However I broke a vertebrae in my neck many years ago. Endured years of pain as I rebounded. Got to a tolerable level, got on with life and then the pain started getting worse.
I have osteoarthritis in my neck. I have bone spurs and DJD, spondylosis. My vertebrae are wearing down very quickly. I broke c6 and 3 years ago C2- T1 were abnormally worn down and unevenly.
I went to see about an injection in my neck and the dr won't do it, he wants an updated mri, he thinks the pain down my legs, my arm, extremely "brisk" reflexes point to my spine having leess space. I read alot on line and I do seem to have some symptoms. I'm wondering what you guys think based on your personal experience and what symptoms you had when they diagnosed you and how you were diagnosed. I'd appreciate any feedback. Right now I have to stop typing as my right arm is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!

• brisk-or hyper reflexes are signs of myelopathy
    I would suggest you get a MRI soon as you can
    Myelopathy should be taken very serious
  • thank you patsy, I'm rather nervous, mri tomorrow evening and then I don't get the results for like a week!!!!!! and today at work I had to go to employee health and lay down. I'm dying of pain.
  • I actually had found that article but I really appreciate your response. Did your symptoms stay steady or did they change? Yesterday I thought I was going to die, today, I have arm symptoms but the pain is not as bad. I just want to know what real people have experienced. Thanks! :/
  • Hey curly....my symptoms got better after surgery. I had hyperreflexia. At my consultation with the NS he tapped my knee and my entire body bounced on the table. It was really freaky. When my left inside elbow was tapped I felt it in my right shoulder and left foot. My left knee would go numb after laying on my back or sitting for too long, making it difficult to walk. After surgery now I only have a tingly/poking feeling in my legs when I lay down and sometimes a random burning sensation. The hyperreflexia seems to be gone, except that I have noticed that my feet and left leg are very sensitive to the touch. I am definitely much better since surgery.
  • I had a mix. Some symptoms got better while others did not. I still have extreme hyper-reflexia of the left leg and slightly in the left arm but have regained some reflexes in my right arm, which were absent before surgery. The Babinski reflex is normalizing but not quite there. Hoffmans reflex is gone. I never did have clonus. I'm still insensitive to pin pricks all over my arms and legs. I still have bladder problems X( .

I do feel lucky too... it could be a whole lot worse! I did start falling again though and am a little worried about that. I'm probably just not being as careful as I was right after surgery. Must try harder!!!

• Curly,
    I would have to say that my symptoms are still present, the hyperreflexia is as bad as it was pre surgery, but not getting worse. I still have Babinski reflex and my NS feels that my Clonus has gotten a little better since my surgery in March. When I was at a IME, that doctor checked my arms for reflexes, the right arm was 'normal' but when he checked my left arm :O , to his surprise not a thing happened until he wacked my funny bone and got a little movement. I do have some numbness down my left arm and into my fingers, not painful, more annoying than anything else. The doctors told me going in that some things may get better over time, up to three years later and to not be surprised if they don't improve much. The good thing is that they are not getting worse. It also seems that PT has been helping with my balance, it won't be perfect but I am learning to deal with it.

• Could you function? Did you have good and bad days or was it just bad? I had my mri last night and I can't get in to get result until the 14th unless there is a cancellation, so I'm trying to prepare myself for good or bad news. I've been klutzy. I don't seem to have the babinksi reflex- which I've tried to do or clonus but I do seem off balance, my reflexes are amazing in my legs and kind of low in my arms.
    I'm reading everythign I can but to hear from people who have experienced it -especially pre surgery, how did you guys feel. I appreciate the responses so much!!!
  • hi, curly i haven't had surgery neither, Im gonna be honest, but just so you will take these symptoms going on with you serious.i want to help you, not doing it to scare you,i notice my balance being different 2 years ago at that time i only noticed it no one else could
    now i almost need a cane at all times except when im in my house, just in last 3 days i have even gotten worse, going up a couple of stairs are hard, but i could not stand and go back down them, i had to sit down, and go down carefully,my knee reflexes are very hyper also, my grandkids even get close to my legs i can feel it,
    i wish i could go back a year befor it got this bad (i no alot of people feel that way )but in the last year in a half doctors were thinking i had multiple sclerosis so my neck issues were kinda put away sum were, who knows about the ms diagnosis some of my doctors think it is poss.but now they no my neck is causing some big symptoms (maybe all of them) thats what i think, In my heart i know I don't have M.S. some times we get so used to are symptoms no matter how little or big that we just get used to them and then little bit each day they get worse, or one day you wake up and things have become twice as bad just overnight.
    I do care
  • curly,
    I have to say that unlike most people, my pain came on rather suddenly and was debilitating(sp) right away. I was barely(sp) able to walk yet alone move my left arm. So in some ways I was lucky, my problem was found right away and surgery was my only option. I am not a doctor, but it is very hard to do your own reflex tests, I do know the one for Babinski is a rather tough one to check, my NS and OS are ok at it, but the IME doctor did it the best, if there is a best. Hope that you are on the way to recovery soon, I am sure you and your doctor will make the right choices for you.

• I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Looking back I've been a "klutz" falling for probably several months at least. The pain I feel flowing thru my body probably ranges from a 3 on a good day to an 8 the other day. I have had radiculopathy ever since I broke my vertebrae so its something that I've lived with and ebbs and flows. 3 years ago in a flare up a pain dr did 2 steroid shots in my neck and it was like a miracle, but when I went to see him, apparently my reflexes were so hyper he didn't want to do anything without a recent mri of my neck. I've had the mri and now waiting to see him. I don't have clonus or I don't think the babinski reflex. He didn't even try it, I've been trying it. But balance is off, radiculopathy, tingling numbness is up in the arms. I developed bursitis while shoveling this winter when my husband herniated a disc! I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which confuses dr's until I finally met a good rheumatologist. I guess I just need results. I feel like my life is on hold. Thanks for letting me ramble here. And thanks for all the feedback. :/
  • That's literally me. I used to bite my nails. Haven't in years but this week I am. Tried calling today. I didn't know if they would let me know anything about the mri before my appt thursday, plus new pains. They tried calling me late today, called them back and I got a recording!!!!!!!!!!!!! :W :SS
  • let us know when you get your results,or get some info?
This discussion has been closed.