Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 2 weeks Post Op,(first surgery anyway)

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Wow, I've almost hit 2 weeks!

I am reducing meds as I am more achy than in pain and I am tired of being so sick to my stomach! :sick:

I had a Home Physical Therapist come this morning and do an evaluation and give me some exercises. I understand that the only reason they are doing this is because of this bum right leg.

It was VERY interesting, she touched parts of my legs and feet and told me which areas correspond to which discs - she could actually tell where the nerve damage was coming from. Of course, now I've forgotten which area is which.

Anyone know of a link to a chart or a map that shows which nerves affect which areas??

I am now to do the following exercises, for the right leg:

Mini knee bends (10 reps, 2x per day)
(I hold onto a counter to do these)

Side leg lifts (as possible, quit if I get any pain)

Heel slides (10 reps, 2x per day)

Leg lifts, flex foot while raised (30 seconds ea. 2x, 1x per day)
(this one, I lay down, hold under my thigh and try to straighten my leg. Hold to the point that I don't have any pain yet, then flex foot back and forth - this one 'massages' the nerves at L3, if I remember right)

All the while I am to hold my stomach tight.

I am to also do Kegels 1x to 2x a day and also work on flexing my Glutes.

Oh, I THOUGHT I could raise myself up on tiptoe, I can, but only on the left or using both legs. I can't get the right to do it at all, no matter how hard I try, it's like it won't listen to me.

So far the right leg feels vague feelings of cramps in the thigh and the calf. I get 2 to 3 lightning pulses under my toes a day. Hopefully any feeling, even pain, is good news.

I do worry that my right leg seems to be weakening though.

My PT is supposed to come 3x a week.

Anyone else have nerve damage that resulted in a numb leg?

Anyone get the feeling back? How long did it take, what was it like?

Anyone had it get worse? What happened? Has anyone gone from numb to (I hate to even think this) paralyzed?

Okay, despite all that - I think I am doing very well.

I walked around the whole block today!
I've still had no bladder issues like I had pre-op.
I have had no lightning pain down the left leg like I had pre-op either.
PT says typical release to drive is 6 weeks postop.

Next NS apt. is Aug. 14

• yes, the Therapist actually came on Sunday. I guess all times anytime, they do say I can call anytime 24/7
  • sounds like your on schedule girl!!!!
    i was not doing any exercises till the 4th week appt.
    no sitting more then 15 at a time. just walking thats it.
    no PT at all. goes to show ya how all drs work in mysterious ways 8)

i want you to keep up the good work and keep us updated as i know you will!!! :)

the nausea should go away soon.
    i found the over the counter meds worked better. they have chew tabs and the liquid.

I originally was not supposed to have any PT until at least 3 months.

I think the numb leg has the NS worried, hence the sudden need for PT.
  • The areas of the body that are affected by the various nerve roots are called dermatomes. I googled "dermatomes" and found links to various charts. Hope that helps!

• Thanks Elle!

I googled a bit last night and all the charts were way to generic and basic - listing multiple discs for broad areas. I liked that the PT could say that the top of my foot, on the outer edge was ___ disc. Or the big toe was (I think) S1 etc.

I'll go google dermatome now:)