Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar fusion L4 5 s1 7/28 like advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I haven;t written in a while . past year and half dealing with back problems , tried back exercises / Chiro / Shots in spine / fimally a nerve root block / that lasted 4 days . someone from board e mailed me to se a neurosurgen stop pain doc and reg Md . I found one here in s Nj that came well recomended and had me get a milogram which the next week he reviewed with me and said I needed as fusion.I had made a app. with another neurosurgen at the same time so 3 days later I seen the second with my milogram His opinion was the same !I was dealing with the wrong kind of docs for last year I quess ? So 2 weeks later I was at the local Hosp. (Don't know if names are allowed ) Checked in at 930am was taken into the pre op and 5 hrs later sliped into the recovery area .2hrs later in a room .Well what a painfull awakeing that was !! However the Doc was to my room soon after I knew who I was about 630pm assured me all went well , The nursing staff was very surportive as I felt like a big baby looking for pain releif .I can't say enough about the staff from walking in to wheeling me out . Anyway noon next day nurse takes out my hose . I take a shakey walk around the hall ,sit for a while , back in bed (Yes it hurts like hell but no leg pain anymore ) doc in at 6pm takes drain out and by 730 p the wife drives me home
2 days of percocet and draging to bath rm and back , 5 days of walker and trying to stop percocet I see the doc and he says to walk till I reach 5 mi don't bend lift see me in 6 wks . Enough of the history If you need this get it done by good people . Today is 8/4 I was cut on 7/28 .For a yr and a half I draged my rt leg with pain that would bring tears at times I had to work so i carried on . I'm sitting here today a bit uncomfortable as I have a brace on I must wear when upright , Not suposed to sit more than 30 min . i haven't taken any pain meds since sat and I walked 4 miles yesterday . a mile and half this morn at 6a . getting hot now so I'll wait to eve to walk more or go to the mall . Hope I gave someone some support if your waiting for surgery .Yes it hirt for a few days but I lost a year to pain and we don't get enough years as it is . I'm 53 in Nov . I'm not in too bad shape was 188 lb at 5'8" and norm was 180 before back trouble tried to hit the gym 6 to 8 mts out of the yr so i wasn't too bad.(I do like my beer ) I droped using adkins prior to cut to 175 came to 171 now going to try to stay light during rehab .(we'll See )So if this info helps you make your surgery date good .What i need to find is someone that has done this and can relate to me what is too much !!!! I feel so good and I was working 6 days plus going to school before being cut .so now i ready to go !only slept 4 hrs last night cause I'm not tired i know I can't exercise but walking . will my body tell me when ive gone too far ? or should I listen too my wife and slow down . I don't want to screw this up I gave up my harley and I'm sure I'll still pay for this for awhile and more than anything I don't want that nerve pain down my leg again .Well enough i'll write what goes on for the next few mts so anyone can compare .if youve been thru this please write with advice as to how to regulate my activity .Thanks Seamoose

• I'm a pretty tough ole broad, but same here when they rolled me into recovery.... holy cats!with no pain pump, gave me a shot of demerol....whoopee, finally got a pain pump and morphine (which I was allergic to, miserable)I am almost 3 months out after 2-level alif ( l 3-4, 4-5 ) I have quite abit of pain, but I've had pain for a long time , I just got used to dealing with it, which I don't think is a good idea.... My doctor hasn't prescribed pt, or even told me what I should or shouldn't do. I've gotten more info here than anywhere. I've been doing yardwork,housework,cooking,etc.....I watch my lifting....
    I walk, some...not enough...lots of stretching,doing some free weights for my arms....but I wouldn't be doing anything without painkillers and muscle relaxers. I don't sleep well at all...up several times a night....fortunately I don't have to work right now...but I do have a 5 year old.
    I'm 49. I plan to go back to work this fall. But I still need pain meds... and I feel like a druggie when I ask my doctor for a refill. I must confess, I took a little ride on my 4 wheeler the other day....it didn't feel very good physically...but I sure was in a good mood after! My little girl has her own..and she loves to ride. So I guess as long as I have some meds, I'll just keep living...I mowed my lawn last night, and tripped and fell in a hole...youch, I'll be taking it easy today! I think I listen to my body ,but you know, I'm so used to telling my body to shut the hell up, that I may not be doing things very smart!
    Anyway... here's to you... feel good and enjoy your day!
  • thanks for writing , my orders are walk walk walk no sitting for more than 30 min no lifting more than 10 lb and try not to twist keep ears shoulders and hips in line and wear this plastic brace whenever I'm upright . If I continue to fee as good I'll give his nurse a call in the comming days to see what he thinks might be too much walking
    i'm too scared to ruin this thing I'll let the deer eat the grass this yr . Good luck ,Seamoose
  • Just dont over-do it. When we feel so good it is hard to stop ourselves form doing extra sometimes.

My doc said I can walk as much as my body will allow. Use my pain levels as a barometer for how much to do.

I had a 4 level fusion with hardware and correction to scoliosis and originally I was encouraged to do more and some bending etc gently of course. Then I started to get pain which is connected to the healing process and I have been ordered to do less no bending again.

So take it easy. Try to sleep or at least rest during the day. Sleep and rest is when our bodies do the most recovery so dont try to be a hero and think you dont need it as you will be doing yourself out of healing and recovery time.

Blessings Sara

• Wow you were home quick. I was in for 4 days.
    Walk as much as your dr allows and your body will tell you when to stop.
    Keep up your meds on time. Don't let your pain get to out of control.

As for the recovery room thing My LORD I think they hated me with all my surgery. Last 2 surgerys the fusion and my appendix I remember nothing at all. I told the them at pre op testing that I have very high anxiety when I awake and I am always screaming in pain . To have IV valium on hand. Well they must off because I still to this day do not remember. Plus I am the type that gets the highest dose of meds they can give post op. Appendix simple little tiny bugger they gave me a 100 of fentaynl post op. With the fusion I guess they screwed around with the pain pump. Everyone said I cried in pain but dang if I remember it.
    So don't feel like a baby at all.

Keep up the recovery and just do not over do it!!!!!
    Best of LUCK to you!!!!! :) :) :) :)
  • I had 3 level fusion (L3-S-1) on March 17th and I am only walking 3 miles a day. I have gotten rid of the nerve pain 95% of the time except some in my right ankle. I would be as patient as you can be. I still am not driving with no LTB as well. You don't want to bring back the nerve pain - it is very hard to get rid of. Take care and take it easy. My doctor says, what is 6 months of your life if the next 50 years you will be pain free! B)
  • Called Doc due to having weird temp changes . By the time he called back i had a list for him . How much walking is too much ? If I feel any pain stop/ pain afterward or spasams after ! Start over less distance . I feel none which is scary as Its hard for me to keep getting up and down and moving around and stuff and keeping my mind on being careful . Pain keeps us at our limitations at least notifies us of them . Can I stop carrying this dam walker around with me I don't use it I just pick it up and carry it in front of me in case . Hoo Ra If I don't ever use it I can put it away .Anyway I'm up to 2 mi in morn 2 at night walking softly and carring a big stick (walking stick,looks more studly) note this isn"t marching or power walking , just strolling and enjoying NJs pinelands where I live .I was told I can drive car or pickup (I made my living doing so for 20 yrs ) Had my wife drive me to N Hope 1 hr in her Focus . brace caused black & blue marks and pissed off incision . So question was can I remove brace after gettting in car ? No No No Hitting bad hole or worse accident could be devistating . So I'll be walking in the pines till sept .They find it odd that I feel no pain at all so soon but I have feeling on skin and to pressure and I can tell when i move that something is different inside so all seems to be good . I was crying as I walked for a yr and my present job requires a lot of walking lifting and climbing .So maybe Ive just shut it all down ? Only bad answer was after monitoring my temp over a hr .We found that I'm swinging from 97 to 98.4 in minutes causing hot flashes no explanation for this in any blood work prior to op . The doner bone has no dna so rejection isn't problem and wound is looking good (I know the ladies out there are saying all men should experience this in our lives my wife and the nurses found it amusing ) They even mentioned male meno brought on by the stress ! Only me !I'm so lucky!! I was refered back to a general MD to look into this . I 'll wait till my fusion is confirmed and if it continues I'll look into it . I'm not working so whatever sleep I loose over it I'll pick up in naps . They also gave me some kind of stuff like zanax to take before sleep and I got 7 hrs last night . I'm not taking any pain stuff so I don't mind this feel ok this morn and going out for my 2 miles . So I was cut 7/28 today is 8/08 14 days out still no pain down the leg foot not numb . So i'm rolling along