Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Medication Switch

Jillybean079Jillybean079 Posts: 295
edited 04/14/2017 - 1:03 PM in Pain Medications
My doctor switched me from the Fentanyl patch to OxyContin for my ER medication. I've never tried OxyContin. I am on oxycodone for breakthrough. Has anyone been on these meds and preferred the OxyContin? We switched because I've been on the patch for over 2 years, which always seemed to work, but hasn't been working as well lately. Plus, they have found more damage unfortunately. 
Spine-Health Moderator 
DDD
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
Spinal enthesopathy
L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

advertisement

Comments

• Jilly, I have been on just about everything at one time or another and I thought Oxycontin worked extremely well for me. It's really a shame that it got a rather bad reputation because I really don't think it was deserved. I used Oxycodone for bt at the time. Hopefully it will do a good job for you. Let us know.

Cindy
  • memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,790
    Jilly

Happy Easter!!

I hate to hear those words "more damage". I am so sorry.

I was on Fentanyl for years. For after surgery pain they gave me oxycodone 10mg. I am back on it as the pain has increased.
    But I will say, of everything I have ever taken, this helps the best.

Take care, please. Let us know if we can help.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hi Jillybean

How have you been since PLIF?  You are not to active on the boards anymore.  I tried fentanyl patch one but it made me sick.  Never tried OxyContin. I take short acting meds only.  Surgery is not all that is it?  I wish I had never had mine done.  Sorry about the augmentation you are going through.  If I have it happen to me I don't know what I would do as most opiates make me sick to my stomach.  I hope you are doing ok as I don't read much from you anymore.

dmo

• it's been years since I was taking OxyContin, but it also worked very well for me...but like all ER opiates, I needed to take it 3 times per day...my doctor in FL told me that over 30% of his patients on ER needed to take whatever extended release Rx 3 times per day.  I was also on the patch for a few years and switched them out every 2 days (my insurance at the time had $10 generic/$20 brand with no formulary so that helped a lot...I surely do miss that insurance)...with the patch, I felt the best the morning after switching it out the night before

my insurance now just makes it extremely expensive for OxyContin, though

hope you have good luck with it    
    dmo

All the meds I have been taking for so long took a toll on my stomach. I had an ulcer so big it was obstructing my esophagus, my weight was down to was 83 lbs. So now I'm on meds for that for the rest of my life.
    And it's not just me. We've had several discussions on the forum about stomach issues. But what do you do when you are in pain?
    A never ending question. 
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • advertisement
  • Hi Sandra,
    I take hydromorphone, which I am told is generic dilauded. I was once on Exalgo which is long acting hydromorphone but even at 12 it did nothing for me. It just did not work. Dr just keeps me on hydro 6mg three times daily. I do also take zanaflex, fioracet, Neurontin, and ambien. I would love something long acting but in the opiate family everything I have tried, vicoden, Tylenol 3, Percocet, hydrocodone and on and on make me sick to the point of throwing up after about twenty minutes. The hrydromorphone I was told is synthetic and different from everything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS. I cry a lot. lol.
    dmo
    dmo

When I saw my PM for the first time a few years ago, I told him I might be tiny but nothing works on me. It takes a very high dose to even phase me. He did a gene therapy drug interaction test, just a swab in the mouth. They give the lab what you are taking and they compare it to what your body needs. 
    I knew my metabolism was high but it is extremely high. But the results proved what we had been fighting all these years, nothing worked.

I still do not understand why doctors don't do this first. It sames everybody money and agony.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Thank you everyone. It's been a rough few days, since the switch. I feel like the OxyContin only works for about 6-8 hours...definitely not 12. I was changing my patches twice a day, so I guess I will being that up at my next appointment. My SI joints are starting to look like Swiss Cheese from the erosions. My SI Joints/pelvis is what has been bothering me the most. I need to find a new doctor to look over all this, since my surgeon is up in MI. I have just been in pain management since.
    Dmo-to answer your question, no surgery isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I wish I wouldn't have done it either. I do think it's caused more issues, like it has for most of us. I try to get on here as much as I can...I'm still working full time, so I'm exhausted when I get home. I'm in bed by 8-830 every night! It doesn't give me much time to get things done....
    I really appreciate everyone's help. Things are starting to get better today, from the switch. So all I can do is keep moving forward. Hugs to all!!!!
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Spinal enthesopathy

Jilly

You come first, take care of yourself.
    We will all pitch in here and get it done but certainly do miss you.
    Hopefully every day will get better.

Gentle hugs!!
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Thank you Sandra! It means so much to me to be a part of such a great group of people! I'm so happy you joined us!!
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Spinal enthesopathy

advertisement