Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3-weeks post lami and L4-5 fusion - chilled after resting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Along with all the other 3-week post-surgery challenges, I have feel very cold after sitting or periods of inactivity. Is this normal? What is the cause and what is the fix or is this just part and parcel of the recovery process? Thanks.

• Hi Kraig, it is probably nothing but you dont say where you are chilled.
    Is it all of you or just the surgery part.
    When we relax, such as sleeping our body temp does drop as does our BP.
    DO you have problems with your blood pressure? A lot of pain meds do cause a drop in blood pressure and therefore a drop in body temp but it is worth checking with your doctor.
    You dont have a fever do you- if that is the case then straight to the doc.
    You're not relaxing out in the snow fields are you? :D :D :D

Let us know
    Blessings Sara
  • My wife took my temp last night and it was actually below normal (96). I will check my blood pressure. Yes, after resting in a chair, reading or watching TV, I get chilled when I get up. I suspect that this could be a symptom of Vicodin withdrawal (I am now just taking over-the-counter Tylenol - I quit the Vicodin about 3 days ago. My biggest challenge is not being abble to sleep at night. That could be related to being off the Vicodin and/or general inactivity (I do walk a half hour each day).

I am wondering too if I am still feeling the lingering effects of the anesthesia. It was a long operation.
  • Thank You !I'm not the only guy !!! I was cut on 7/24 l4l5s1 fusionI guess about 15 day out now first 4 days after cut . I woke up took drugs and slept .Then i cut the pain meds on the 5th day .Feel great /wearing a brace and only walking for exercise for 6 wks . Well all is well with pain but Sat I only slept about 3 hrs get real cold then cover up then hot the next minute all night . Sun mon same now even whrn I on the couch watching Tv during the day . My temp is around 97 normal for me and BP good . Thought maybe i was burning off all the meds they fed me . All the boards I read refer to females having such problems. I was embarrased to call the Doc about it ,as I feel great otherwise
  • Hi , My Doc and I got together about my temp changes .You should give yours a call if you haven't yet . The good news is he said that its not uncommon to have chills after ops and also mentioned sume stuff about low BP Anemia ,Well things that can be adjusted . For me they looked over blood work I had recently and stuff that looked ok had us watch my temp changes which are within 1 degre but constantly going up and down. And came up with unrelated to my fusion stuff) than needs to be studied and I have to go to a general md for . I'll live with it till I know the fusion took if continues then I'll open pandoras next box Good Luck
  • I guess it was part of the recovery process or possibly related to the Vicodin which I stopped taking as of last week or as you said, blood work related (I wasn't advised of any problems). At any rate, no more chills but more overall pain in the back. I am told that before they seal you up, the surgeon injects a numbing agent that wears out after about 3-6 weeks. That could be the reason. I am also not wearing the brace anymore per my doc's approval.

Just checked my bp. 125/84. Not bad.
  • Does everyone get that? My surgeon never mentioned it. Anyway Im glad your chills are gone, hope you continue to heal well.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Oh No I may still have to pay the piper !!!My Doc was amused that I have no pain ,thought it was very unusual.( 4 Days p.Op i slept woke had a bite and had another drug ,slept /worse pain ever then it ended ) Even spent time pokeng me to check my response to feeling in my skin and legs and stuff . He didn't mention any thing that he put in blocking pain out for a while. I hope i'm not going to wake up to a rude awaking one morn ! Well for now 15 days post op no real pain no more walker ( I can act like like a hiker instead of the old guy ) cool outside yesterday 3 .5 mi walk mid noon felt a little cramping as I got back home was doing 2mi morn and 2 eve .Going out now for a long one . Still getting hot flashes and cold , think maybe someone bumped some of the wrong controls when they were in there ???? I was a little teary eyed at the end of terminator movie last night when the governator sinks into the glowing vat !! (oh no)???? I did notice you are 3 wks out and no brace that had to make your day ! Mine said min 3 to 6 mts with this thing . Good for you .
    Good luck seamoose
  • Going back to the numbing agent that the surgeon is supposed to put in before he seals you up, I don't believe that is an accurate statment, perhaps others can chime in. I asked my doc today (I had a major spasm putting on my shoes and thought I really screwed things up so I gave him a call). He said no to injecting a numbing agent. 'Something I heard at another health site. I should have checked it out more thoroughy, at least it wasn't applicable to my surgery.

Yep, the chills are gone but I was really concerned this morning when I went to put on my shoes and wham! A spasm through me for a loop. Very painful. After a Vicodin and a few hours of bed rest, the pain subsided and I just came back (10 hrs. later) from a mile and a half walk. Go figure. My doc said it was not unusual, that scar tissue is ebbing and flowing at 4 weeks post-op and not to be too concerned.
  • And here I thought that had answered a question of mine... After this last surgery I had almost no pain in hip or leg until about 48 hours out. Incision pain was bad, but other than that, about a 2. Woke up second morning with hip and leg pain again..not bad as before surgery, but scary to me.
    With first surgery, I woke up in the recovery room with bad leg pain, started crying, told the nurses "It didn't work! The pain is still there!!" An IV push of something and I calmed down. Anyway, long story shorter, NS told me my sciatic nerve had so much damage that it would take up to 6 months for the nerve to heal, it would get better gradually, and it did.
    So when I read your post, I thought "OH, so that's what it was. This time he used that numbing agent that you talked about." After a frantic call to NS this time, a steroid dose pack calmed the pain (and me) down to a reasonable level.
    Hmmm Oh well, four and a half weeks out now, and the acute pain that NS told me this procedure would get rid of is gone. Nagging back pain is still there, but doc told me up front that what he did wouldn't fix that, only a hybrid surgery of fusion at first surgery site + ADR at the next level up would/should fix all that.
    Anyway, doing a bit better everyday, so I am counting my blessings! Good luck to you!