Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

swallowing problems after cervical epideral

LadyBugLLadyBug Posts: 851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Spinal Injections
I have always wondered about this
In April 2006 I had cervical epideral(Two shots within a couple of weeks of each other)after first shot, but before second shot i started having a hard time swallowing,(my neck,shoulder,arm and headaches got Much better right away)
shortly there after i would have a hard time keeping food down, just bending over after eating would cause food to come up.a few doctors later,and many swallow studies,upper endoscopy,and ultrasound later. my Gastro doctor says digestive system is very slow,and gerd was sum of my problems (I actually had to be put on pain patch,because I could not swallow a pill) Long story short(er)I was sent to neurologist because of symptoms-balance getting worse hyper reflexes,swallowing difficulties.2 neuro's later they are thinking poss. multiple sclerosis, I had MRI-brain,spinal tap and many more test done,all come back good,at that time they say just a slight chance it is Multiple sclerosis,now it is almost two years later and many MRI'S we know all my symptoms are do to the cervical spine, except for the swallowing-slow digestive symptoms, my swallowing acts up just once in awhile (I can swallow pills now)
sorry for so much typing,
No doctor has ever said, but I have always thought the swallowing problems have something to do with the epideral-also I have no gag reflex since the epideral neither, If someone has any insight or thoughts to this i would appreciate it alot, thanx for reading all this for such a short question.

• It has always been my feeling that it had something to do with epideral, I have asked a few doctors and they just seem to talk around it,Im going to my family doctor tomorrow and Im gonna bring it up again, thanks again
  • Hi hun,
    Never had this problem I am so very sorry its happening to you. Paul had very good advice. never give up!!! Someone has a answer.
    One thing mabye see a speech therapist???
    I worked with them at the hospital I was at and my friend is one.
    They are trained in listening to your esphogus and trying to figure out what is causing the issue in swallowing.
    Not all the time but some.
    Just a thought. As I would keep trying till they figure something out.
    My Mom in law has diverticulitis (spelling sorry) that causes her food to come up and she gags alot when she swallows. Most everytime she eats.
    I can imagine its driving you nuts.
    Also has surgery ever been considerd for the stenosis?? especially at the C3 area??? Or even for the large herniation you have?????? C3 could be the culpret. HMMMM yes I am guessing at I do not have MD at the end of my name but sometimes I feel like I do I have been through so much in my life image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    Let us know how you make out. We are here for ya anytime you need us!!!!!!!!
    And if anyone can talk thats me!! LOL So write as much as you want to !!!!

>:D< >:D< ;)
  • yesterday I saw N.S.(my 3rd opinion)
    when i brought up this swallowing issue he didn't have (want) much to say made me feel like i was asking him something that didn't have anything to do with my spine, could be because it was his office that did the epidural.
    my husband and son was there with me, thank goodness i had somebody else besides myself that heard his words about everything. just wasn't a good day at all, im not having him do touch my neck, he is the surgeon i seen 2in a half years ago when my symptoms were half they are now back then (2 years ago),only i could really notice my balance problems,
    I think he feels he should of fixed my neck 2 years ago,he said he feels i very well could have M.S.
    I really am starting to feel that these surgeons like throw their hands up and are kinda afraid of touching me with this diagnosis of possible M.S.what is strange is the last two neurologist say I DO NOT HAVE M.S. and the last three neurosurgeons think i do, I'm calling my rhuematoligist this morning (He has always had my best interest)I'm gonna try to get referral to Mayo clinic. thanks for reading, it just really helps me to type this out
  • Patsy,Hi,just a little while ago I was reading over some material,so when I came upon your post I couldn't help but reply.I'm wondering if your c3-7 stenosis and mylopathy might be making the Drs think MS.Here is an article that I thought you might be interested in.

I read further,following more links,and something I read made me think of this article when I read your post...but in there you will see that cervicle stenosis myelopathy causes instability,balance,and fine motor skills.
    Didn't know if you read this yet or not.Good luck though.
  • thank you for the article,I'm gonna check it out now.