Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Off to GP to get Tramadol 2moro

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:21 AM in Pain Medications
My surgeon (privately) prescribed me Tramadol as a pain killer and said I could take Diclofenac with it too, which is what I'm currently taking. I have to go and get an NHS prescription tomorrow at my GP surgery and have read elsewhere that I wont be able to take it because of the andti depressant I am taking, Zoloft/Sertraline. I am not too sure on this one. Does anyone know anything on this?

Anyone around here taking Tramadol? Does it help?

Thanks,
advertisement

Comments

• hi lyssie, I have taken tramadol for 8 or 9 years, I have taken anti dep meds before in the past,not zoloft
    my sister is currently taken both zoloft and tramadol for years,
    I do believe the both can increase serotonin levels. tramadol does help with my pain, but for me it also gives me energy so i do not take it after 2pm for I have a hard time sleeping, It does the same exact thing to my sister,I do know some people that take it and it makes them sleepy.
  • I was on the regular Tramadol and the Ultram ER....the Tramadol worked fine but when the doctor put me on the extended release I did not do well at all....way too many side effects. I know it does not mix with Cymbalta but not sure about the others.

Sharon
  • Hi. I have been on Tramadol for a week as I am waiting for a micro discectomy on L5S1. I think they are great, but I wouldnt drive on them and only take 2 when Im going to bed, otherwise if I take 2 during the day I feel nauseaus and they do make me a bit light headed and spaced out, other than that they definately aleviate the pain.
  • I am ok to take it then? I was hoping I was ok to take it, to be honest because I need something to take away the pain because it's just gettiong worse and worse constantly. So thank you xx
  • It is my main pain medication, supplemented by codeine/ paracetamol tabs.
    I also find it is a bit of a stimulant, and definitely can't sleep with it.
    I go on and off it and have had no adverse side effects.
    Just be aware though that some users can react badly, so it might be a good idea to take a half tablet initially.
  • I have been on and off tramadol for years.
    I do find the spacey/wide awake feeling with them to.
    I also have been on all different types of anti depressents.

I would call your pharmacy and they will tell you all you need to know just incase you have any doubts in taking both.

Some ppl have issues some don't.

Good luck let us know how you make out!!! :)
  • Well took 2 tablets last night and have today woken up really speaced out, almost like a bad hangover, think I shall just stick to taking one at night times
  • Hi there!

I started taking Tramadol about a month ago. My DO prescribed it and doubled my dose of Lyrica. I was taking Lyrica for my diabetic nerve pain in my feet. I have multilevel Cervical Spine Surgery coming soon.

The Tramadol actually makes me sleepy. I take it twice a day. But it does work for pain so is worth it.

Ken GreyEagle
    Western Band Cherokee
    Greyeagle
  • Yeah its great for pain but does make me really drowsy and spaced out. Ended up cryng on my friends this evening as couldntget out of bed until 4pm today, they said I looked drained and exhausted. May go back to my Dr to get something of the same strength for the pain but with less side effects
  • I've been on Tramadol for a year and it makes gives me engery too. I can't sleep it keeps me up all night then I'm sleep during the day.

I take Tramadol 4 times a day
    Vicodin 2 times a day if needed for severe pain

Get back with you on the rest!1
    Really need to go
  • Before my surgery I was taking tramadol twice a day (could take it up to 4 but didn't usually need more than two) anyway I started taking it for nerve pain and found it really did change the way I felt. I can't say the pain went away totally but it was much easier to handle.

I did however learn very quick not to take it past about 4 in the afternoon...like some of you it wired me up good! I couldn't sleep for anything.

Good luck, PP
  • Hi ,I went back to my doctor and he put me onto a medicine form of oramorph (low doage morphine) find this loads better, hits the pain and dosent make me spaced out or dopey for days. I guess its each to their own, trial and error as different meds affect people differently
  • im glad you found something to work,you are so right on, about the same med can work completely opposite for each person
    I get wired with my tramadol and thats okay in the morning,but i will get wired with vicodin or any narcotic, so i can get my pain under control in A.M. but if any one has a suggestion for a way i could get pain control after 3pm, im ready to take my lunesta come 5 or 6 at night just to ease the pain
    i hear people say my pain pill works but it makes me tired, that's exactly what i need,thanks
  • check with your doctor about this first... I just started tramadol, and it does say that it shouldn't be used with certain antidepressants... I am not sure if zoloft is one on the list. Even check with the pharmacist.

The paper with it said to check with pharmacist if I was talking klonopin, which I use on occasion, and the pharmacist said it was ok, but may just make me a little more sleepy.

Just double check with the doctor and Pharmacist about taking the two together...

Amanda
  • Thanx I do know that tramadol raises serotonin levels and so does zoloft and other anti dep. but zoloft is one that raises it more, be careful check and see what are signs of serotonin syndrome are. the doc that put me on tramadol has tried many anti dep. for me but doesn't want me to try zoloft, but i do know a few people who take both and do real good, does the anti dep. help with your pain and make you sleepy?a while ago i took neurontin ,when i go to my appointment on Monday im gonna ask him about this. do you have any personal experience with neuron tin? what is klonopin?
    thanx Amanda
    your little boy is a cutie-pah-tudi
  • Thanx I do know that tramadol raises serotonin levels and so does zoloft and other anti dep. but zoloft is one that raises it more, be careful check and see what are signs of serotonin syndrome are. the doc that put me on tramadol has tried many anti dep. for me but doesn't want me to try zoloft, but i do know a few people who take both and do real good, does the anti dep. help with your pain and make you sleepy?a while ago i took neurontin ,when i go to my appointment on Monday im gonna ask him about this. do you have any personal experience with neuron tin? what is klonopin?
    thanx Amanda
    your little boy is a cutie-pah-tudi
  • I apologize if this is slightly off topic. I have used Ultraset for years as needed for occasional aches and pains.

I have asked the doc for tramado with out the acetaminophen so that I can have in one hand for my dogs. I did not know until recently that our furry friends can also get pain relief form this med.

With insurance I pay $7.00 for a bottle of 30 tramadol. Deramxx for dogs is $2.00 per pill. $1.50 online.
  • NP stated that taking both can cause seizures. Might want to check that out.
advertisement