Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still in pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello - had ADCF surgery on 6/27 - but still in constant pain and taking Percocet and Relaflex - both of which knock me out. I don't understand why I am still in such pain. I cannot sleep -lying on my left arm puts me in such pain. The right is not much better. Is it possible the surgery didnt work? I had spinal compression from the neck bulge. Any input would be great.
My surgery was on C5-C6.

• I wish I knew of some words of wisdom to give you, but unfortunately I just had my ACDF with plate and use of my own bone on 7-23-08, so I am almost at the 2 weeks post op. So as you can probably guess I am still in pain myself and yes I still have numbness and tingling where I had it before and places I didnt have it before. I am trying to think positive and think that the numbness and tingling is from all of those nerves waking up saying "hey what did you do to us". I'll be happy to listen and give moral support. :)
  • Hi Terri- thanks for your reply. I had a cadaver bone instead of using my own bone- so I know you must be in pain from both of the surgeries! I guess I just expected to wake up and be pain free. My spinal cord was compressed and I had lost most of the use in my left arm. I knew the surgery pain was expected...but I hurt as much or worse than I did pre surgery. I am supposed to go back to work on Monday(desk job) but I dont think I can do it. I take meds constantly. Did they send you home with pain medication?
  • The gave me vicodin but my insurance filled the generic hydrocodone 10/325. That didnt even touch my pain at all. In the hospital they were giving me morphine through my iv and heck that didnt even touch my pain. As for you going back to work monday if it were me and I was still in that much pain there aint NO way I would be going back to work!!! As you saw from my post yep I still have pain and more numbness and tingling than before my surgery so I will talk to my surgeon wednesday when I see him.
  • I see my doctor on Friday for my six week check up - I plan on telling him that there is no way I can go to work. Wow- morphine didnt even help? It did ok for me in the hospital. But I just hate living on drugs. Are you wearing a cervical collar? I was told to wear mine except in bed or if I am in the recliner with a pillow behind my head. Is your pain in the left or right arm? Do you have trouble sleeping?
  • What the heck is that? I havemt slept a full nights sleep since before I found out I needed surgery. Yep I am beyond exhausted. Cervical collar ick yep I got one and I despise it!! My doctor said while lounging in the house I dont need to wear it, but when outside, sleeping, or in the car I am suppose to wear it. I hate sleeping in that awful thing it gets so hot(I think that is another reason Im not sleeping well that and the pain). I'm thinking about rebelling tonight when I go to bed and not wearing the collar }:) . Nope morphine didnt work on me at all. I dont like living on drugs either. That is the reason on the 4th day after my surgery I quit taking my pain pills what the heck they werent working anyways. Now I take my flexerils or if I really need something I do take a pain pill.
  • I am so tired too. I ignored this problem for almost a year before I went to my doc to find out why I was hurting in my arm and shoulder. Now I hope I haven't done permanent damage.
    I really appreciate you talking to me. It's nice to talk with someone that knows what I am going thru. My husband tries to be sympathetic...but he really doesn't know.
    I hope you start feeling better soon. And I think you should rebel! I am glad my doc didnt require me to wear the collar from hell while trying to sleep. Most nights I only stay in bed about two hours - the rest of the time I am in the recliner.
  • omg. you guys are scaring the hell of out me. i'm going to have surgery in a month and i'm not liking what i'm hearing. and one doc tells me no pain the other oh yes pain. what is wrong with these doctors. of course, i'm going w/the doc who told me little pain and a 2 week recovery. he also told me he can't say for sure but he's positive my legs will get better. they have to get better. but of course all they can guarantee is it won't get WORSE.

i expect i will be sleeping on a recliner and practicing sleeping on my back for now. my doc doesn't require a brace at all. hmmm. i wonder why. he is fusing w/titanium plate.

• Believe me I do wanna rebel, but my hubby read me the riot act again about being "a good girl" before he left for work a few minutes ago.I did have to place a call to my surgeon earlier because I had this really intense sharp pain that started around where my neck and shoulders connect and traveled all the way down to about the middle of my back. Thank god I subsided. He said it may have just been a strong muscle spasm, but he would check me out wednesday when I go into the office.(Man that wasnt like any muscle spasm I have ever felt.) So we shall see wednesday. I am glad to talk with you too as well as everyone else on this message board. I have come to claim all of y'all as family!!! :) . thankyou one and all for everything!!! Y'all are ALL angels in my eyes!!!!
  • Please dont let us scare you!!! Not everyone heals the same. Your surgery/recovery could be completely different. It just depends on your body. Plus, you HAVE to have faith!!! I myself do have faith, but I cant help feeling what the heck my retarded body is doing. Its a conspiracy I tell ya my body is rebelling against me!!! Just kidding so I gotta try and joke about it or I will go stark raving NUTS!!!
  • I am scheduled for stenosos decompression & fusion W/ hardware this Friday! I am scared to death. I am hoping & praying to wake up pain free. I did let mine go for a couple years & also afraid of permanent damage. I am having just the c 5/6 done. The ones above are bad but the surgeon does not want to do them now. Will it have to be done in the future? Oh so many questions & concerns. I hear you about the vicodin. Been on it for months & doesn't help a whole lot. I can't imagine what it would be without it though.
  • I will be praying for you before, during, and after your surgery!!! Did your surgeon say why he/she dint want to do the other discs now?(I'm assuming they need to be corrected as well.) Right down EVERY question/concern you have and call your surgeon or heck ask when you get to the hospital for your surgery. Please as soon as you can please post and let us know how your surgery went. Just remember if you need to talk we are all here for you!!! >:D<
  • ACDF with cages, plates, and screws using my own bone. Saw my NS and he wouldn't prescribe me any meds he said Tylenol should be enough =)) .

I have been on meds for going on 9 months even if I were pain free there's no way I could just go cold turkey image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> .

Atleast, I can say that I can feel my fingers and hand left side again but as for the pain still there and not to mention the recent onset excruciating headaches at the base of my skull. Start PT tomorrow NS said this should help with the tension and spasms.

As for the tylenol I had to call my primary doc and I explained to her what was going on and she prescribed me the meds and thought my NS was being completely oblivious to the fact that I've been on a huge regimen of meds for 9 months and needed to be weaned off them slowly. She said if the pain persists she will send me to a pain management doc.

God Bless,
    missb :)
  • Terri72 and jailisa,

Hope you both are feeling better!?

I know sleeping wasn't easy to do for me either at first... I had to wear the soft-collar 24/7 for six-weeks, wonder if the one of you not sleeping in your collar could be bothering you?

Now, sleeping with the collar sucks - I slept real good after that damn collar came off! Sorry to hear you both are still in pain. 6/27 been a while, but 7/23 is not that long ago.

I had cadaver bone, I have read/heard that the pain and discomfort for using your own bone sometimes is worse then the neck surgery itself, any truth to that?

Well, I hope you both start feeling better, and real soon - This kind of pain and discomfort is very hard to live with!

Even if your not really sleeping, hope you are doing a lot of resting... While I sleep pretty good now, unfortunately, I am stuck on going to bed very late, and than sleeping in during the morning. I got use to not falling asleep right away, and not wanting to bother my wife, so now I am a night owl, if I go to bed by 3AM thats early, and get up before 11AM/noon thats an early start to my day.

I don't miss how it felt trying to get in and out of bed... I am a sleep on my stomach, or almost on my stomach, that isn't happening still, but having to sleep on my back was not working for me either right after surgery. I also am the type of person who really can't sleep in a chair or on a coach.

Your doctor sounds like mine... Before being operated on, my ortho and pc had me on 2 darvacet every 4-hours... After surgery, my nuero said take one darvacet every 4 to 6 hours! Yeah, you just cut me open, moved stuff outta the way, shoved a tube down my throat, removed a disc, screwed into two vertebrae, and have a plate inside me, and you want me on less pain meds - LOL

Honestly, it was enough, strange but true.

I hope you all don't lose faith, stay possitive, I know it sounds easy to say, and corny, but it can only help, right?

I'll be thinking about you all, and hope that soon enough the relief will be well worth it, we have dealt with enough, time we ALL felt normal AGAIN!
  • either. This concerns me because I hate to see him go thru this again. His surgeon seems to think it might not get worse for a long time.

The other neuro wanted to fuse FOUR levels and told him to not expect to be pain free.

He is pretty pain free now. He is off all meds. He walked over 2 miles this morning.

Again, his biggest problem is the collar. We looked at a recliner, but he doesn't want to spend the money. He is used to sitting on a love seat --in his real life.

Linda MI

• I have been wanting to sleep without that awful collar, but I have kept the dang thing on. My doctor told me after surgery and yesterday(2 week post op visit) to only wear the collar when outside, in the car, or sleeping. So even when "resting" in the recliner(my new best friend) if I dose off without the collar on I only cat nap about 10 minutes here and there. At night with the collar on I am lucky if I get 2 hours sleep at a time. Thats even with taking myabe unisom or if I am hurting excedrin pm nothing works and I dont want a prescription sleep med cuz they make me feel so weird/hung over the next morning.
  • i too just had an ACDF 6 weeks ago ( 5/6 and 6/7 herniations with free fragments) and am also still in pain, and the pain is the same as before and now i am wandering if i made a mistake, or if maybe if it is the facet joint instead? it was almost a year for me too when i finally had surgery, cause i tried everything else first.
    to make matters worse the Lortab that i have been taking for several months now all of a sudden gives me real bad headaches the next day and i feel headachy and light headed even for a few days later, has this happened to anybody?