Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Those with an SCS do you ever feel like you're cheating?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Pain Management
I have a question for anyone who has a spinal cord stimulator or neurostimulator of sorts.

Do you ever feel like you are cheating on everyone else who is suffering chronic pain?

My SCS doesn't take away all of my pain, it doesn't fix the problem causing the pain, but it does such a great job, and it feels so comforting that sometimes I feel like I have an unfair advantage.

I went through hell to get to where I am at today, but for some reason I just feel like I have an unfair advantage now. I have the capability to increase or decrease the amount of stimulation (treatment/drug) I am receiving at any given time. It's with me 24/7/365 and I don't have to worry about not having the prescription refilled every 30 days. I don't have to worry about a PM contract or doctors that feel I'm getting too much or too little. I guess one of the nicest things is that "I" have control over my pain management.

Of course I still have to rely on the doc for the anti-seizure and anti-spasmotic drugs I need, but for my primary pain control I don't have to rely on anyone but myself. Make sure I'm staying charged, make sure I have my programmer with me and off I go.

This little device has changed my life. Am I cheating ... not really ... but dang it is so hard to grasp after all the crap of the preceeding years!

What about anyone else?

• you are NOT cheating at all !!!!!!! Anyone that finds relief is NOT cheating. I mean , isn't that the point? For spineys to try and find a way to live life with as little pain as possible. I , for one , am extremely happy for any spiney that can find relief and have a better quality of life....I pray that all spineys could reach that type of life. I couldn't imagine anyone not wanting their fellow spineys to have a better , pain free life. So , please , enjoy this gift that has been given to you because I know for a fact that you deserve it.... =D>
  • Not at all haglandc, like Priestess said, you deserve it and I also wish every spiney could find relief.I feel great when my stim is working right and want to share that info about this device with others.Then we are helping in way.So many people have not heard of the scs,I am amazed because it feels so good and works great, in most cases.Some don't get relief and some have probs,like me, but it's a great device, spread the word!
  • I'm on the books for a trial SCS this month. I haven't posted much about it that very reason. I really feel that I don't "deserve" it yet because there are so many that have been suffering so much longer than I have.

My neuro sent me to the pain doc to see about the SCS because my pain meds simply aren't working and I'm done being stupid from them. He remembered seeing my MRI from before my second surgery and he said that he told my neuro that " she's going to be in pain for the rest of her life". He said he had never seen an MRI like mine. He has no reservations about the SCS at this early date and is only waiting for the approval of my neurosurgeon to make sure that I don't need any other surgery and, of course, the insurance company.

I hope it works for selfish reason of course but still can't get over the fact that I have the honor of the chance to get one when so many others suffer so much.

• Apparently, the SCS is the end-all be-all... I'm getting the trial soon. BUT, first, I have to undergo a psychological evaluation. Talk about scary! I have to be there by 8:45 to start at 9am, and plan to be there until at least 3. My husband is worried I may not be able to come home - they may send me straight to "Rikers" without passing GO or collecting that $200!

"C" - I am so happy you and others here on SH.COM have had such great results with the SCS. A little bit hope is such a prescious thing. You guys are my heroes!

• Jeaux,

Your psych eval will be a piece of cake. They just want to know if you can handle the idea of having a foreign body permanently implanted. Plus since it generates stimulus which you feel every minute of every day, can you handle it.

I used to wonder what is so different about implanting an SCS versus a pacemaker or a pain pump of for that matter hardware to stabilize a joint. What is so different that they require a psych eval?

So besides the fact that you will always be "feeling" it and that it doesn't take away all of the pain ... I'm not so sure.

Anyway, have a great chat with the doc and spin their head around. =))

Will be waiting to hear back on how long it took you to escape from their clutches. =))

You're right ... a little bit of hope, can go a very long way!!!

• I feel better about the psych evaluation now.

• For you C. I know we haven't talked since you just got it in but it thrills me to hear how well it's working for you.
    You should have no guilt what so ever. I understand you empathize with others but don't please don't feel guilty for haveing a better quality of life.

Take care,
  • Just wondering: Any here with SCS finding relief from pain at all 3 spine areas (including radiculopathy?

Glad to here SCS is helping some here...yay! :)

Deb (Mattsmom)

L5-S1 PLIF 1988 C5-6 ACDIF 2001 after MVA w/ chronic pain. TBI 2007 New pain eval and DX MRI's in progress after 2 falls. Tired of hurtin'. :(
  • Hi Deb,

Mine is a c-spine SCS and it is for my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. However, I do get coverage in my glutes, hamstrings, calves, shins and feet as an added bonus. It does not hit my T-spine or L-spine though.

• Kim!!! It's great to hear from you!!! OMG it's been eons it seems.

Thanks my friend for your words. It's just a wild feeling to feel some much less pain, that I feel like I should still be hurting. Hard to describe. When I get asked by the hospital staff ... "are you in any pain today?" I turn to them and say "none that's worth worrying about" Of course they get upset and want me to tell them ... but to me since the big stuff is covered, the rest just doesn't seem to matter.

So then I think about it and I feel like I have such an unfair advantage. I know it's not really that way, but I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt like that. If anyone else gets as much relief from their SCS as I do.

Well now today I will be in even less pain since I have heard from you Kim! Awesome! Thanks for coming by!

• Thanks so much for answering me.
    Glad it works so well for ya!

Deb (mattsmom)
  • I don't always use it, but I can get coverage beginning at my mid-shoulder, through my thoracic region, lumbar region, hips, butt, thighs, calves, and feet.