Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery T-2 & counting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After months of trying to cope with pain through, therapy, medications, chiropractic & steriods injections, the conclusion has been reached that surgery is the only alternative. So Thursday I go in for a anterior, L4, L5 S1
spinal fusion. I am scared to death. I have been told that I have to behave once home from my 3-4 day hospital stay. Those of you that have been through it?? How much were you able to do around the house??? How bad was the pain post op and how long did the severity last?? I can't wait to have a clear head again and be drug free, between the percocets, MS Contin & Neurontin it is a miracle that I function at all. Any info from those of you that have been through it will be helpful, thanks

• Good morning Renee.

I had an anterior fusion on L5-S1 1 week ago today. You will have to behave a little more then normal after you return home. I only had 1 level done and I was actually home the following day after my surgery. A majority of the pain that I experienced was not in my back, it is at the insicion. I have a 3-4 inch insision a few inches below my navel. The first 24 hours are the worst. But being in the hospital they are going to keep on top of your pain at all times. As far as what I personally can do around the house I take it easy. I do go for 4 or 5 walks a day which has been a life saver for me. IT helps me keep my sanity. It is hard for me to stay still for long, I am just so used to being on the move. But the walks help that and have also helped get rid of a lot of the pressures that are in the abdomen after surgery. I wont be running the vaccum or scrubbing floors but do manage to do dishes, dust areas that I can reach with out pain or twisting. I can cook dinner so long as I have my wife set what I need on the counter. Mainly just taking it easy and letting your body tell you what you are capable of will be your guide. In was scared to death the morning of my surgery as well. But the nurses will do everything they can to make you comftorable. And when its time to go back they will give you a little cocktail in your IV that will have you feeling very very relaxed, next thing you know you are in recovery and they are already keeping your pain under control. If you are anything like me, and have lived for years with severe to moderate back and leg pain, the pain after surgery will not seem like that much different than you are already accustomed to. I wish you all the luck, do take it easy afterwords. Walk Walk and walk some more!! Feel free to contact me if you need anything. Dan