Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI- cyst at T4

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have been having upper back pain for a long time. I always thought it was from my job and my upper back is overcompensating for my lumbar and other issues.

So besides disc bulges the MRI showed:

Well circumscribed cystic lesion posterior mediastinal location abutting the T4 vertebral body extending from T3-4 disc level to T4-5 disc level. Differential considerations include duplication cyst such as esophageal or bronchial versus neurenteric cyst. This non aggressive and benign.

Okay, good news its benign and my NS will go ahead with my SCS implant on 8/12. When the surgery scheduler called me to set up final pre-op appt before surgery she asked if I made an appointment with a Pulmonologist.

Why? Pulmonologist? pain is in my back and I have not had any trouble breathing or other conditions such as asthma. The cyst is abutting my T4 vertebral.

Any input would be helpful or information on what kind of test are done. After surgery on 8/12 I cannot have another MRI. I really don't want to go through unnecessary test or procedures. This is benign, Can cysts disappear on their own?

• This location is actually at the back of your chest.

http://www.cts.usc.edu/posteriormediastinaltumor.html Has a good explanation and video
  • Thank you for the information, this gives me a good start to researching this.

My main goal is to get my SCS implant on 8/12, then I will follow up on some of my other issues.

I don't want anymore surgeries but I do need to keep an I eye this so it doesn't get out of hand.

• Can you tell me, was your pain in between the shoulder blades, could you feel pain in your chest at all?
  • Pain is between shoulder blade area, mostly cramping first, then stabbing to a kind of strangulation feeling like I would lock up if I didn't get out of the position I was in. I was told by PT that my upper back was compensating from my lumbar issues and doing too much at work.

I now have pain there because of SCS implant done Tuesday morning.

My NS said that the lesion is benign and wants to watch it, meaning look at it again for changes in 3-6 months. I'm glad this didn't change my surgery date because this is my main goal right now getting my SCS in full action. NS not going to turn me on till 8/25. Gotta take one thing at a time, right now I'm in a lot of pain from SCS implant, looking forward to getting a respectable level of pain. LOL
  • "O"

Did your NS have time to explain more about the cyst?

That's very cool that it didn't disrupt you getting some much needed pain relief from the SCS.

Give the lady some pain relief then work on fixin what's broke. :D
  • Doctor (called @8pm)
    Wanted to let you know I agree with radiologist cyst looks benign, would like you to have MRI again in 3-6 months.

Does this mean my SCS implant will be delayed? I can't have MRI with my implant in and I want to take care of my pain first then concentrate on my other issues.

Ah, that's right, all OK surgery still on track. See you in a few days. Other tests can check this in a few months if you're still having symptom's.

I didn't press him for more information because I wanted the implant first.

Surgery scheduler called to verify pre-op appointment and asked if I made an appointment with Pulmonologist. I told her I was never asked to see another doctor.

When I saw him at my pre-op appointment I asked if I needed to see a Pulmonologist, he said no, not necessary at this time.

Then we continued talking about SCS implant surgery.

I've done a little bit of research on duplication cysts in the esophageal and bronchial area. Sounds like something that will eventually have to be removed and biopsied. Don't really know.

I added this to my list of issues. I do need to shorten up my signature on here again. Way too long even though I haven't listed all my surgeries and woes. LOL

Am I beginning to look like a hypochondriac?

Counting down the days till I get turned on. Let see its after midnight...only 5 more days! :) :) :)

• Hey "O"

Glad you were able to talk to him about it, even if it were just briefly. It is crazy how sometimes these guys get so used to ordering specific tests, that they forget to "think" about the patient that they are ordering them for. Glad you reminded him now.

Don't worry about the signature line.

I thought about it when I initially joined SH and realized that all it would do for me is stare me in the face as a bleak reminder of the things I really don't care to think about.

So for each of us it serves a different purpose. Make it "fit" you.