Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks appt.

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 6 wks post op and I am suppose to be healed. I had some complications during a posterior cervical foraminotomy making the incision 4" instead of 2 or less. NS said recovery time increased to 6wks instead of 4 wks or less. The problem is that I am still in pain. My muscles have a painful pulling sensation across my back. I still am very tired at the end of most days and the pain increases in the evening. I am getting better definitely but I go back to work in 3wks and can't be in this condition. I work providing therapy for children. I carry and roll equipment into a building several times a day.
I have 75% improvment from my original condition with only a little pain in my elbow. I have been walking 2 miles a day slowly. Maybe I need to go to PT to stretch my neck muscles? I am trying to get back to my previous activity level. Back to NS today.I will ask him what he thinks. Thanks for your support. It means alot to me.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• Nancy,

A lot of things can happen in three weeks. You may notice improvements from one day to another. After surgery, we can's go rigidly by any time table, so if your recovery supposed to take 6 weeks, in reality it may take less or may take more. But as long as there are some steady improvement, you are on schedule. If you come across some unexpected problems, then you need to call your doctor.

I would call 75% improvement significant. Eventually your stamina will increase. As far as PT, that is your surgeon's call. Only they know when can you begin it safely.

It can appear slow at time, but sounds to me you are doing OK. Maybe in 3 weeks you will be ready to return to work.
    Take care,

• Thanks for your reply and encouraging words. The NS doesn't know why I seem to be having more pain on the right since he operated on the left. I read my surgery report and I think that something got out of place. They had to move me into a different position to have xray after they opened me up. I have congenital fusion and they couldn't figure out which verebra they were trying to decompress. The congenital fusion was on my MRI and he was aware of it. Anyway He prescibed more muscle relaxors (don't seem to help) and is sending me to PT for heat, massage and ultrasound therapy. I am hopeful that it will help and in a few more weeks I will feel better. Thanks again!
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • I hope the PT helps you. I always loved the ultrasound with accompanying heat/cold packs - lovely for some relaxing time.
  • I like the PT ultrasound but the heat packs were yucky and smelled funky...lol....good luck to you Nancy.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)