Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Precious BamaPPrecious Bama Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been told by my dr. that the only way I will get relief is to have the fusion. L4-5 is deteriorated and L5 S1 is collapsed and bone spurs. So I got scared and cancelled my surgery. Needless to say, I am in pain so bad. Just went to the store this morning and the walking did it. I have numbness in foot and legs are so weak. What will happen to me if I don't have the surgery. You say well you will be in pain. I will try epidural. Could anyone advise me what to do.

• You can try the epidural shots but they ddnt work for me. They dont work for everyone. If youre not ready to make the surgery decision than your right to cancel it. Surgery is a last resort. Take as much time as you need to decide, exhaust all other options and educate yourself then when you've had a chance to do those things and you find yourself still in alot of pain you still have the choice of surgery to fall back on. At least you'll know that you made a well thought out and educated choice.
    I was terrified over my surgery on my lower spine especially after having had a cervical fusion 9 months before and only being 39 years old but I had already exhausted all my options and couldnt stand being in pain any longer.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Have you gone out and got other opinions? It might ease your mind a bit, or the second opinion might have some ideas for options.

Good luck - I almost cancelled my surgery too, so many nerves and anxiety!
  • get as many opinions as you possibly can. Who knows maybe in the process you will find an alternative treatment.
  • ...to get at least one other opinion. But so many people can get so much relief from fusions. We hear a lot of negative things about them because those who have had successful surgeries are off and getting on with their lives and don't usually need to come to places like this. What you need to find out, is whether or not your nerves are being compressed at the moment. If they are, then by delaying doing something about it you may be at risk of permanent nerve damage. Not trying to scare you, so please don't be mad with me for saying this, but I have a close relative who this happened to. He just lived with the pain for too long and now every time he need to urinate he has to insert a catheter into himself. Not fun. So please, get checked out again and just focus on the positive effect that the surgery may have for you. Of course there are no certainties, and yes the recovery may be long and hard, but if it is successful then it will be well worth it.

Take care honey, Spicey
  • I would get a second opinion. The surgeon in my state said that I had to learn to live with it and that it would get worse. Needless to say, he wasn't operating on my back. I would do as much research on your surgeon as possible. For example, I googled my surgeon and read the research he had written. I also asked talked to folks who had had surgery done by this particular surgeon. I also asked other doctors about this surgeon. I checked to see if there were any lawsuits against him again via the internet. I managed to track his resume down and was very impressed. I am only 50 and the last 3 generations in my family have lived until their late 90's. The surgeon I chose is out of state and about an hour away. But he is excellent and I am really glad I did all the research. I think the most impressive thing about him is tht when I email him he replies back fairly quickly. I am confident that he did an excellent job and I will eventually be fine. :) Good luck!