Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Withdrawing from the medication

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Chronic Pain
So, since I live with my parents and am unemployed and in trial limbo I am pretty much as screwed as you can get...I'm waiting on medicaid, but right now I can't afford to get my scripts and have been in withdrawl for about a week, I've been on the meds for almost 4 years now.

I don't know what to do anymore, my brain feels like scrambled eggs and I can barely think straight...I'm waking up 10+ times a night because I hurt so badly...I'm going to the doctor on the 14th, I tried to call their office and get something done because I am so tired of living like this. I know exactly where my pain level is at and it is not good at all. The nurse said all they can do is give me an epidural or I can go to see the chiropractor, which I did and he couldn't even move me or adjust me.

My shoulders are killing me, my head hurts, my neck is killing me and everything is tensed up. I think I'm done with the withdrawls, but I can't get any sleep. I keep waking up in tons of pain.

My mom is convinced that the meds make things worse, I don't think that I've found the right mix yet...Right now, my PM says my only choices are Opana ER or Methadone, but Opana is horrid and doesn't do squat. I don't want to get back on the Methadone because I can't go to the bathroom (excuse me for saying so) hardly at all when I'm on it, never mind the constant heart attacks my parents and sister have when I was on it about 2 1/2 years ago. NO muscle relaxers, nada, just the cymbalta.

I just don't know what to do anymore...I'm so lost, I'm so tired and I hurt so badly that I want to knock myself over the head with a hammer, but I fear that will cause more damage. I've been talking to a therapist, but nothing has come of it yet, meaning me learning to live with this. And my mother is convinced that I need to learn to live with it, but I don't have the strength. It's been almost 4 years, I'm so tired of fighting onward.

Anyways, if you don't see me on much, that's why...I hope all of you are doing well and to those who aren't, gentle hugs to all of you! Maybe when I don't feel like such crud I'll be able to sit here and respond to PMs and stuff...Sorry!

• I can't believe your Mom would tell you to "live with it"! X( Hello! You are in PAIN!
  • Hang on over the weekend and you'll be OK. I have been through the WDs more times than I can count and I always say that anyone can get through a day without meds. You just have to keep saying that to yourself, and take it one day at a time. Not much else you can do but wait it out. I know exactly how you feel and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes now. That's not to say that I've been in them many times before. I won't let myself run out of meds no matter what!! The 14th is a week away and you've already got the worst part of it behind you. Best of luck, and hang in there.
  • I also know what you are dealing with about the withdrawals. I had been on so much pain medication for so long before and after my first surgery that when I tried to get off of them, I thought I would lose my mind! I hurt all over, couldn't sleep, etc. And I had been tapering off for a while, going to lower doses every week or so...so I know you really must be hurting going "cold turkey." Lot's of ibuprophen, which seems to help me more than any other OTC pain med, got me thru it.
    The 14th seems so far away right now, but it will get here eventually. Hang in there..I'll be thinking about you.
  • I think I'd kill for some sleep right now...Just trying to hang in there, I'm hoping the doctor can do some trigger points...I talked to my lawyer today and he's turned my medical records over to a doctor in the university medical system here, so hopefully a surgery will be in my future! ~X(

I'm hanging in as best I can! Although I'm supposed to go on a blind date this weekend and am kind of worried about um, making it through the evening, but hopefully having my friends there will be helpful!
  • So sorry to hear of your troubles, fancy. But did you know that methadone is the cheapest of the opiates and has been around the longest? There are lots of things that can be done to relieve the constipation. If you end up needing to go back on it let me know and I will tell you how I handle it. Good luck.
  • i did a few years ago and i only had some minor symptoms for 3-4 days. i felt hung over and had sleeping problems with some diarreah. it was not a big deal for me. i continued to work but felt tired during the day. went to bed at 10 but only slept for 2-3 hours and then had problems going b ack to sleep. i think some of the things we see on tv about withdrawl are overly dramatic-the man with the golden arm. no circles under the eyes. i think we build ourselves up about horror stories. it was not a piece of cake but tolerable to me on the other hand. i was on tons of narcotics.20 percocet a day plus 12 vicodin for breakthrough and this was not per doctor.
    remember no big deal for me
    jon :B :D
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Nancy,

Sorry about your situation. I wondered why you hadn't been around.

I'm going off my meds too. Not because I have to but because I miss my brain so much. After that episode with sudden withdrawl from the methadone I decided that I didn't want to take anything that controlled my body so much and made me sooo stupid. So I'm slowly tapering off with the blessing of my doc. My pain levels have gone up slightly but I think most of my pain now is nerve pain which the methadone just doesn't cover anyway.

I've been accepted for the SCS trial and am awaiting the okay from my surgeon and insurance. Cross your fingers.

I agree with Jon about the methadone- you can take stuff for the constipation that is really cheap too. It sucks to come off of but there is no reason for you to be in so much pain. Forget what your relatives say, do what you need to do to control your pain until you finally get surgery. All that pain is going to cause more trouble than just the pain. Depression is going to set in big time and make the pain worse. Don't do this to yourself! You sound like you're already going down that slippery slope and there is no need.

I wish I could help you through this or do SOMEthing for you. It sucks that you have to do this without the support of your family. Just remember, you always have your cyber-parents, PapaRon and MamaGriff, to take care of you when you need us!

Hugs for you Gal,

• I got about 6 hours of sleep last night, woke up with a migraine but took some Alleve, which I never take, and feel almost human at the moment! <:P

I have anxiety issues, always have, which I think is the worst part of it...I haven't had a major panic attack, but haven't wanted to eat either which is so unlike me!! I love food! And my stomach is really upset, but that could also be the nerves...

The thing that sucks is that my mom gets it but really doesn't...It's easy to say I've been where you are when it's 20+ years behind you, although we don't forget. For 3 years I had been telling all of them how bad it was, but no one believed me until after the discogram, which was in May of this past year! Almost 3 1/2 years after the accident!

She missed ALL of the trial where my doctors talked about how bad things were, I told her last night my neck was older than her, but I don't know that she'd listen to what they have to say anyways...She's been to about 2 appointments with me, one to the neurosurgeon and one to the ortho about 2 years ago, which she was 100% sure my discogram would come back negative...She has a higher pain thresh hold than I so, so I suppose it's easier for her but heck, I don't know...Like I said, she's getting all the treatment she needs, ESI's, exercise with a PT, etc so it seems easy to judge from a more pain free perch.

Like I said, just tired...I think I may have needed to stop for a while, but I don't think I'm going to make through until surgery like this...Just taking it day by day, some days waking up is easier than others...But at least once a day I am hitting the floor crying and praying for God to give me the strength to make it through the day. Taking it minute by minute, but thanks to all of you!

P.S. She had to miss the trial part because she was a witness, otherwise she would have been there...She can be a pain but she's not that horrid!

Mama Griff- sending you tons of hugs, I came off of the methadone before and it wasn't a picnic, even gradually! I don't think it's as evil as my family makes it out to be, but none of it's ever fun...Be sure and keep me updated on the SCS!
This discussion has been closed.